VAMPIRE Gets A 4th MASQUERADE From Onxy Path!

Onyx Path announced a new edition of Vampire: The Masquerade at Gen Con. This will be the game's 4th Edition, 18 years after the previous iteration. The game will feature updated rules, and an advanced metaplot. (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop).

Onyx Path announced a new edition of Vampire: The Masquerade at Gen Con. This will be the game's 4th Edition, 18 years after the previous iteration. The game will feature updated rules, and an advanced metaplot. (thanks to Fabrício for the scoop).

Onyx Path confirms that the V20 planned run will be finished, with V:TM4 coming after. More information will be coming soon, when they get back from Gen Con.

v.jpg

Photo from Bryce Perry

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I love Caine, the 13 bloodlines, the antediluvians, and all that and simultaneously hate the emphasis on generation ( constantly diluted blood, thin-bloods, caitiff, etc.) and hunting down sleeping elders to drink dry to artificially bump generation. Would like to see blood potency from Requiem ported over as an option, i.e. the antediluvians are scary because they are 10k years old+ and hungry and you are weak because you are 30 regardless of the age/generation of your sire. Generation could stick around as some sort of prestige thing (Erdos number) or prophecy. I recognize the connection to the setting/plot I otherwise love...very conflicted.

Also, they are advancing the meta-plot? Was Gehenna averted then? Last I heard Ravnos awoke and took several nuclear bombs to the face after destroying his entire bloodline and the Red Star was in the sky with judgment day imminent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jhaelen

First Post
They are making a new edition for the old game line (Classic/Old World of Darkness), where they just made a Deluxe Edition, while still developing the New game line(New World of Darkness, Requiem included) which also just got a new Edition.
Is it bad that I'm still confused?
Anyway, I'm unlikely to buy into WoD again, right now. No matter, whether it's old/new, deluxe/standard, thingy/doodah, or whatever else there is currently out there.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Same here, I've bought a bunch of the various core books, clan books, never got a group that wanted to play it so I was buying just to read them. Last Vampire purchase was in 2004 at DragonCon so I'll probably pass on this other than to read if it's cool.

The picture above seems kinda of a let down, like the 2 gentlemen were trying to make a big reveal or announcement and it looks more pathetic than energetic. I might be the only one who saw the pic in this light but that's how it struck me, like grab a table that open at 11am and hold up a sign to make an announcement at 1115 type thing.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I am a huge fan of Onyx Path and the White Wolf product lines. I am a bit conflicted about whether a new edition is really necessary. V20 was sort of perfect, really. The setting was already updated to modern nights in V20 and the minor rule problems were solved. Vampire games are supposed to be really 'rules light', so I don't really need new rules anyway. I also question whether there is a real market for another version of White Wolf/ Onyx path Vampire.

I am interested though and I am certainly going to buy it, if only to support the hobby & industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

The picture above seems kinda of a let down, like the 2 gentlemen were trying to make a big reveal or announcement and it looks more pathetic than energetic. I might be the only one who saw the pic in this light but that's how it struck me, like grab a table that open at 11am and hold up a sign to make an announcement at 1115 type thing.

I had the exact sane feeling when I saw the picture, perhaps the room was fully packed and
the crowd was super hyped at the moment of the announcement, but the picture makes it look sad...

Leaving that aside I don't know how I feel about this 4e, I share the feeling that V20 is still too recent, not to mention that I don't like much the idea of reopening the oWoD (it's cute and acceptable as an anniversary thing, but only so).

I am a huge fan of Onyx Path and the White Wolf product lines. I am a bit conflicted about whether a new edition is really necessary. V20 was sort of perfect, really. The setting was already updated to modern nights in V20 and the minor rule problems were solved. Vampire games are supposed to be really 'rules light', so I don't really need new rules anyway. I also question whether there is a real market for another version of White Wolf/ Onyx path Vampire.

I am interested though and I am certainly going to buy it, if only to support the hobby & industry.

I totally agree with your opinion and have the exact same feeling!!!

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
Same here, I've bought a bunch of the various core books, clan books, never got a group that wanted to play it so I was buying just to read them. Last Vampire purchase was in 2004 at DragonCon so I'll probably pass on this other than to read if it's cool.

Ethan,
I had the exact same feeling about that picture, but worried since I am critical of Onyx Path, that it would come across as a dick move by pointing it out. Its like they just got the poster made at Kinkos and this is the best way they can make the anouncement. Not a table banner or projected power point or big stand up display, just one dude holding up a poster (and not even straight).

When I let my imagination run with it, I see the audience of 8 people (no one in the front row mind you) who all embody the worst stereotypes of gamers (most in black 4XL trenchcoats with their clan pins on their lapel), or someone who should never be in spandex, but is wearing it because their character has 5 dots in Appearance/Charisma and they are about to go to the LARP event.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
There is a blog post now telling the Onyx Path version of the story.

I'm happy they said that they aim the new edition to be "accessible to new players". I am less certain of what they are saying about changing the setting to 2016 and bringing it into the modern era. What can this mean? If it means thematic changes, to better reflect the general 'spirit of the time', I am all for it, but I had the impression that V:tR already did that and I'm not sure it can be done, without changing V:tM too much. Personally, I do hope the changes are significant. I'd like something new. I would be disappointed if the changes amounted to just a few references to mobile phones and the internet.

I hope they mimic the way WoTC is currently doing things with D&D 5e.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads