Variants/Subclass for a DPR Rogue

Normally, I respect your opinion on the game. In this case, “I’m disinterested in the point of this thread” is better stated by not posting in the thread.
Just pointing out that a “DPR” rogue that just boosts damage is like a “tank fighter” that just boosts AC or a controller wizard that stuns without saving throws. It does the job but imbalances the game.

[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] btw, the assassin is still a mostly exploration and interaction focused subclass. The point with the subclasses is to have 1 or more option for the rogue that adds nothing to those pillars beyond what’s in the base class. The assassin does not do that much damage in most sessions, it certainly isn’t reliable. In doing comparable damage to other damage focused options. A rogue that gives up some skill monkeying to reach the top tier in combat efficacy isn’t unreasonable.
Removing the skills to boost damage is a imbalanced trade. You’re giving up exploration powers for more combat power. Powers shouldn’t cross pillars. You wouldn’t trade a ribbon power for more combat.

Trading features you don’t want for feature that boost your combat power didn’t work well in 3e or 4e or Pathfinder. Plus it leads to a pretty one-trick-pony character where the PC ceases to be effective between combat. Which also leads to disruptive action as the player is incentivized to initiate combat because that’s the only time they get to be effective. (A lack of out-of-combat features is already a weak aspect of the fighter.)

But let’s dig into the design.

There is room, here, for a strength rogue.
  • Expanded weapon list that works with Sneak Attack, including glaive, longsword, any one handed weapon or versatile weapon.
  • Your attacks that qualify for Sneak Attack deal extra damage equal to your Strength mod.
  • Once per short rest, you can deal Sneak Attack damage a second time per turn.
  • Level 9, gain Extra Attack
  • 13th, add Str mod as a bonus on all Dex checks and saves? too much for 13? 13 tends to be more utility, rather than power.
  • 17th, gotta be big. SA on every attack for 1 minute, 1/rest? Auto-crit 1/rest? Max SA damage when you crit? Expanded Crit Range?
The problem with this is it causes multiclassing problems. One of the reasons barbarians don’t use Dexterity is to prevent rogue/ barbarians and pairing rage and sneak attack. This works against that. To say nothing of the ridiculousness of “sneak attacking” with a greataxe.

It also leads to “fun” combos, like Greatweapon Master and Polearm Master. PM alone would cause a potential spike in sneak attack damage.

Also, rogue subclasses only really grant combat bonuses at 3 and 17. In all subclasses, 9 and 13 are exploration or interaction features. They’re utility powers. So getting combat bonuses there goes against established design.

Alternatively, what about a swordsman subclass that is about ruthless efficacy rather than flair and panache?
This feels like a swashbuckler that just has its powers renamed.

• Maneuver dice, or expanded crit range and extra dice on crits?
  • Maneuver dice are pretty obvious in what they'd do, but also....meh. play a dex battlemaster with the skilled feat? We don't need direct overlap here, I don't think.
I’d also be reluctant to add Maneuver dice to another subclass. WotC stopped adding those to fighter subclasses because feedback overwhelming said people preferred those to just be a battlemaster “thing”.

Okay, design wise the assassin has the niche on spikes or extra damage. Every other combat or so it can get an auto-critical, which is a big damage spike with sneak attack. But that’s story dependant and unreliable. Which is why so many rogues go with two-weapon fighting: reliable damage by doubling the chances of landing one hit.

If I were designing a rogue class with the express purpose of boosting DPR, I’d focus less on spikes and more on reliable damage. Rerolling attacks and maybe even rerolling sneak attack damage. Perhaps applying Expertise to attack rolls.
Maybe a dagger wielding rogue that can hurl an offhand dagger as part of the Attack action. The extra d4s add a little damage, but not much but the advantage is the extra chance to deal sneak attack damage.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As for story, IMO the lack of a strength-incentivized rogue is a story deficit in the base rogue.

There also isn’t currently a “thug” or “enforcer” rogue, which thematically should be a tougher, stronger, less flashy, more brutal, rogue. Someone that just hits harder, mercilessly, without any BS with jumping out the dark or putting on disguises.

Nor is there a duelist that isn’t forced to be a flashy Errol Flynn type with a bunch of stuff that’s got nothing to do with swording real good.

There are other rogue archetypes that I want to see or make, like mechanic/sabatuer, and an Acrobat, but those are very different ideas.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
There also isn’t currently a “thug” or “enforcer” rogue, which thematically should be a tougher, stronger, less flashy, more brutal, rogue. Someone that just hits harder, mercilessly, without any BS with jumping out the dark or putting on disguises.

Isn't that just a fighter? When you talk about a melee combatant with no magic or rage who doesn't use stealth or disguise and is stronger and more brutal than a regular rogue, I'm not really sure why you think that's not covered by a fighter.

doctorbadwolf

Okay, no, I’m gonna edit this to be less snarky. Sorry about that.

Just pointing out that a “DPR” rogue that just boosts damage is like a “tank fighter” that just boosts AC or a controller wizard that stuns without saving throws. It does the job but imbalances the game.
This is an exaggeration, particularly in terms of the comparisons. Instead of, “gotta be careful about how far such a concept goes in execution”, you seem to jump straight to “the extremes are bad so the whole type of concept can’t work”.

Removing the skills to boost damage is a imbalanced trade. You’re giving up exploration powers for more combat power. Powers shouldn’t cross pillars. You wouldn’t trade a ribbon power for more combat.
if I’d suggested trading thieves cant for fighting styles, this would be an excellent point. Ribbons are abilities that have no impact on the balance analysis. Expertise has a huge impact on the balance analysis.

Trading features you don’t want for feature that boost your combat power didn’t work well in 3e or 4e or Pathfinder. Plus it leads to a pretty one-trick-pony character where the PC ceases to be effective between combat. Which also leads to disruptive action as the player is incentivized to initiate combat because that’s the only time they get to be effective. (A lack of out-of-combat features is already a weak aspect of the fighter.)
the rogue would still have the most skills, two expertise skills at level 6, and more reliability with trained skills than anyone else, even taking every suggestion I made at face value (which is absurd when looking at a rough draft).

Remember, these are a bunch of concepts for types of traits, not a draft of a complete class.

But let’s dig into the design.

The problem with this is it causes multiclassing problems. One of the reasons barbarians don’t use Dexterity is to prevent rogue/ barbarians and pairing rage and sneak attack. This works against that. To say nothing of the ridiculousness of “sneak attacking” with a greataxe
the idea is to let rogues use staves, Spears, some polearms, longsword, etc. Sneak Attack is a silly name for the ability that only sticks around because of tradition, anyway. It never requires sneaking. It’s just as sensible with a greataxe as with a crossbow. The reason to not allow any given weapon is tradition, expectation hang ups, and balance.

It also leads to “fun” combos, like Greatweapon Master and Polearm Master. PM alone would cause a potential spike in sneak attack damage.
“it needs to exclude polearms” or “this needs to not allow GWM or PAM” are great suggestions I can take away from this. Thanks. I’ll probably try to draft out soemthing that allows the weapons but not the feats, or restrict the weapons more than I’d like for balance sake if I can’t get a good draft that way.

Also, rogue subclasses only really grant combat bonuses at 3 and 17. In all subclasses, 9 and 13 are exploration or interaction features. They’re utility powers. So getting combat bonuses there goes against established design.
I noted that in the quoted text. Again, rough draft, vague ideas, etc. level 3 is the only level where what they subclass gets needs to be at a specific level. I’m not worrying about level placement except in the vaguest terms yet.

This feels like a swashbuckler that just has its powers renamed.
I genuinely don’t understand this comment. I’d love it if you could elaborate. I specifically suggested a subclass that is focused on being an excellent swordsman, with nothing of flair or panache. I assumed it was obvious that I meant no mechanical support in the subclass for any greater charm, flourishy stuff, etc, than exists in the base class. This could easily be a tougher more athletic subclass, more like a melee focused scout than a relfavored swashbuckler.

Okay, design wise the assassin has the niche on spikes or extra damage. Every other combat or so it can get an auto-critical, which is a big damage spike with sneak attack. But that’s story dependant and unreliable. Which is why so many rogues go with two-weapon fighting: reliable damage by doubling the chances of landing one hit.

If I were designing a rogue class with the express purpose of boosting DPR, I’d focus less on spikes and more on reliable damage. Rerolling attacks and maybe even rerolling sneak attack damage. Perhaps applying Expertise to attack rolls.
Maybe a dagger wielding rogue that can hurl an offhand dagger as part of the Attack action. The extra d4s add a little damage, but not much but the advantage is the extra chance to deal sneak attack damage.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I’ll dig more into this and work on taking my rough drafts of vague ideas for the sorts of things one or more subclasses could maybe have into an actual draft of one or more subclasses tomorrow.

For now, I agree that the assassin is intended to be good at nova-capability. IMO, it’s a waste of time to play one for the ability to nova, because they did a terrible job of executing that functionality, however. To me, it’s a nearly useless subclass for a focus on damage dealing, but incomparable at being an infiltrator.

But either way, I’d fix the assassin before trying to supplant it, so we agree that DPR is a better focus. But rerolling, and adding extra chances to get SA, is a bigger boost IMO than things like adding Str mod or prof bonus to attacks that qualify for SA.

Maybe I was unclear in the OP, though, about an important thing. The ideas in the OP aren’t a draft of a subclass. They’re a set of lists of concepts for potential features to give to one or more subclasses focused on concepts that want for brutal, visceral, top shelf, damage output, in order for their mechanics to meet their story, and for players that want the rogue class as a whole to be more a little bit more combat focused.

Last edited:

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
I'm not interested in adding class features, unless it's going to be a ribbon or something like that. In general, let's keep a similar total power level to the PHB.

Legit question, have you thought about multiclassing to fulfill some of your goals?

I think there's definitely enough of a conceptual design space for a Str-based rogue though, and to that same vein, a Dex-based barbarian.
I'm definitely in support of variant or alternate class features, but not just for the rogue, for all classes. That's such a goldmine of potential. You could have subclass archetypes whose class features substitute old aspects for newly designed class features or class features from other classes (though you'll need to ensure this is handled with care).

doctorbadwolf

Isn't that just a fighter? When you talk about a melee combatant with no magic or rage who doesn't use stealth or disguise and is stronger and more brutal than a regular rogue, I'm not really sure why you think that's not covered by a fighter.

Do fighters do more damage by getting the upper hand, have more skills than most characters, more reliably, with greater mobility, ability to avoid damage rather than soaking it up, and great versatility with their action economy?

The base classes are completely different.

Also, who said it doesn’t use stealth? It’s still a bloody rogue. And it’s tougher than other rogues, not tougher than other weapon based classes.

Seriosly did you just skim the OP?

doctorbadwolf

[MENTION=11010]Ash Mantle[/MENTION] I can’t get quoting to not be a pain in the butt.

The thread isn’t about making a specific character, or anything like that. I like the rogue, as I said. I have a level 12 thief, and a level 6 swashbuckler/Bladesinger, that I’m playing in two campaigns right now.

This is about brainstorming a rogue that obviates the need to multiclass in order to create some concepts that many players view as standard rogueish archetypes in fiction, and also make the rogue less restricted in multiclassing in general, if possible, and of course to simply give some options for those who find the rogue deficient in reliable combat efficacy, and see the rogue’s skill benefits as quite a bit overkill.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
This was my attempt at a non-swash melee rogue: The Bleeder.

OPEN WOUND
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you enjoy getting inside your enemies head in more than one way. You gain the Intimidation skill if you do not already have it, and when you attack a creature with a melee weapon attack that has already taken damage from you, you gain advantage on that attack.
Additionally, your style of fighting revolves around using small blades with surprising effect. On your turn, when you hit with a melee attack using a dagger, you can add your Charisma modifier to the damage of one of your attacks.

BLEEDER
At 9th Level, you strike with deadly accuracy at your enemy’s weak points, gouging grievous wounds that struggle to close. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, your target is starting to bleed out, they cannot regain hit points until the start of your next turn.

BLOOD-SPATTERED
At 13th level, your bloody visage is menacing and repellent to all nearby enemies. As a bonus action, each creature that you choose within 5 feet of you must make a Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Intimidation) check. Those creatures that fail on their checks have disadvantage on melee attack rolls against you until the start of your next turn.

HAEMORRHAGE
Starting at 17th level, your target’s haemorrhaging starts to take the most drastic turn. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, that creature takes ongoing damage equal to your Charisma modifier at the start of each of their turns.
At the start of each of the creature’s turns, they can choose to use their action to attempt to stem the ongoing damage. Should they do so, they can make a Wisdom (Medicine) check (DC 10 + ongoing damage). On a success the ongoing damage ends.

CapnZapp

Legend
So, some folks are disappointed that the 5e rogue is not focused on DPR, while others are happy that the Rogue basically auto-wins at skill stuff, and are satisfied with moderate damage output.
Just to clarify, it's not that I want to take away the skill monkey from people.

I just don't get why WotC hasn't given us a Rogue subclass that works in combat-centric campaigns, and which remains competitive in games with feats.

In other words: many campaigns heavily feature combat. Having a squishy character whose concept is to get into close combat to deliver devastating backstabs is entirely reasonable, provided that...

...those backstabs are actually devastating!

Sadly, this is not the case in 5E. Sure, without feats, the Rogue holds its own in combat. (Sadly, that is in comparison to fighters only, and not to the real heavy-hitters - the Paladins, Warlocks and Sorcerers)

But with feats Rogue DPR is very middling (since now even Fighters eclipse them). There simply are no force multipliers that work on sneak damage, except Haste and Haste-like effects, which I believe is unreasonable to assume is available to the average Rogue. (Not all parties feature Wizards willing to spend their only Concentration slot just to bring the Rogue up to par; magic potions are not plentiful in all campaigns).

Then, the reason to enter melee - where your squishiness is much more of a concern than at a safe range - is very questionable.

Not only that the sole benefit is two shots at getting in your sneak damage instead of one (through two-weapon fighting). And the value of this is very questionable, since if you stay at range, you are likely to gain Advantage, which more or less provides the same benefit: rolling two d20s to increase the probability one attack actually succeeds, so that you deliver your sneak damage.

Also that all your sneak & skulk abilities are severely compromised by being out in the open, in the actual melee. Your performance as a "lurker" (using the 4E term) is severly compromised if you can't stay in the shadows, close to cover. Bluntly put: you can't hide in plain sight!

So the Rogue class design leaves MUCH to be desired.

Basically, you're asked to choose between things no Rogue should have to choose between.

A minimal list to bring it up to par would include:
a) a Rogue class focused feat (which obviously only is used in games with feats, which are the games that otherwise allow Fighters to completely eclipse Rogues DPR-wise)
b) a way to reliably reach two or double sneak damage a round without either Haste or incredibly convoluted minmaxing
c) a subclass meant for the melee rogue

This does not necessarily mean three new things.

For instance, WotC could combine a+b into a feat that simplifies sneak damage into "On every attack during your own turn". This would instantly improve the DPR of melee rogues sufficiently to justify the risks and drawbacks of melee (two-weapon fighting), while still retaining the (remote) hope of out-of-turn sneak damage.

Or, b+c through a subclass that does get Extra Attack and sneak damage on each melee attack.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
In general, let's keep a similar total power level to the PHB.
[MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] I know you're more in the "the rogue just isn't good, overall" camp, but I'd love to hear any thoughts you have that are within the scope of the brief above.
If by "similar total power level to the PHB" you mean PHB classes in general, I'm game.

But if you mean "similar total power level to the PHB Rogue" then I'm afraid I have little to say, since my every concern about the rogue can be boiled down to "it doesn't do enough damage, at least not in games with feats".

That said, I do understand that with the "Brutish Scoundrel" archetype you can approach this from the other angle - by reducing the squishiness. That is, a Rogue that is considerably more sturdy as a front-line combatant makes more sense as a character with PHB levels of damage output.

However, in this scenario I do see the "doesn't that sound like a Dex Fighter?" angle. To be frightfully honest, I believe the time for the Strength Rogue has more or less passed, now that 5th Edition has taken six or seven measures to boost Dexterity-based martials (compared to 3E). About the only passable concept for the Strength martial is the brawny greataxe wielder - every other concept is already a Dex fighter.

Except... the squishy character that plays rocket tag! Point is: I like the Rogue's squishiness :)

That is IMO the defining feature that distinguishes it from its two non-magical brethren, the Fighter and Barbarian.

So I am personally much more interested in making the Rogue the martial class with the worst defense and the best offense. :)

But that is not worth my while if I have to stick to a similar total power level to the PHB Rogue. Frankly, that is akin to trying to design an attractive Beastmaster Ranger that can't abolish the PHB restrictions on the beast, I'm afraid. Quite the mission impossible, or rather mission hopeless.

Last edited:

Remove ads