Videogames are boring once you embrace RPG?

Jhaelen

First Post
Video games have never been a competitor for (pen & paper) roleplaying for me. Even (or especially?) the so-called CRPGs or MMOs aren't anything like a 'real' RPG. (Text) Adventures (and a few MUDs) feel much more like RPGs to me.

Anyway, I used to play plenty of computer games but over time they were mostly replaced by board games. With very few exceptions, I even prefer playing a board game solo, these days. If I actually get in the mood for a computer game, it doesn't appeal to me very long. After a couple of hours I get either bored or annoyed. Don't ask me why...

Caliburn101

Explorer
A good tabletop game highlights the limitations of video games when it comes to character interaction and the freedom to choose what you do next.

There is also no inherent need to repetition of 'content' either... the world really changes because of what you do.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I always have an itch to play something very tactical or strategic, so tabletop RPGs and wargames are where I feel the most comfortable. On the other hand I'm very much into video games too. If I'm going to be playing an arcade-like game I trend towards space simulations like the old Wing Commander series. However, I prefer computer RPGs and computer strategic turn-based games. Right now I'm playing the isometric, turn-based CRPG called Underrail and haven't been able to put it down. Thankfully, I'm almost at the end. Last year, I played the turn-based, hex-movement RPG called Blackguards and loved that too. I do agree that video games can simulate good turn-based combat, but they still can't allow for dynamic sandbox play like a flexible group of players and quick, imaginative Dungeon Master can provide.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Both have their appeal and disappointment when playing...

Video Games are always linear following a set path with a few offering the chance to explore, i.e. Fallout and others, doing odd side missions while traveling, encountering new locales all the while defending yourself from the NPC's drone sprites. And aside from the odd map-pack group fight ala HALO its mostly play by yourself or online said map-pack.

To bad technology isn't like in some of the Anime that I have watched recently where with a simple headset you could transport your conscious mind into an Avatar Character for a WoW or D&D world environment.

RPG's give the DM/GM if they are imaginative the material to lay the foundation and ground-workings of their campaign world varying on the system that they choose or merely pick up and run the campaign books as written or with maybe the odd non-canon side quest thrown in for spice.

With the RPG set if you have a good group of players, a decent DM/GM, and good campaign world or mini-campaign then I prefer RPG's over console/PC games except when its a game that I want to snag and stat some monsters, item, equipment, or etcetera for the odd campaign world.

Last edited:

DeltaEcho

First Post
So many things I could say on this subject,

video game are just an elaborate game of Simon says, you do x to achieve y
so compared to the vastness of an rpg it does look rather limited

that said my game of choice is gears of war, but I see it more of a team sport that a video game, playing against a live player will make it more unpredictable

while the two are different forms of gaming, really only RPGs are fore filling, you are not limited in option nor reaction or affect of that option, that's the sort of freedom that will always be limited by software,

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
To me this is like saying books are better than movies or TV. Or like saying that TV is better than movies. Video Games and TTRPG's are two very different things and I'll go as far to say that the consistency of a good video game is preferable to an uneven or bad Gm and obnoxious / bad players at the table.

I'm very picky about who I game with and run games with. I dont hold the RPG community as a whole in very high esteem and as such would rather spend hours playing Deus Ex, Skyrim or Fallout 3 or 4 if I'm not playing TTRPGS with people I like and trust.

KellyGrin

Villager
I play video games mostly online when I need to relax or just to cut down long working hours. Usually I play smth easy that I don't need to install to play, for example, Pokemon Catch Journey at http://friv4online.com/ or Saloon Brawl. But when I meet with my friends we play board games. It's quite entertaining.

Remove ads