• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters - Which monsters do you want to see?

With only a little more than a month to go before release at FLGS, I hope WotC starts dropping some more hints/previews like the artwork released earlier in the month. I'm really wanting to know more of what will be in this one!

Tony Vargas

Legend
ETA: I want to see "Wizards" and "Clerics" at multiple levels, maybe a few "warlocks" and "druids" thrown in, and some "barbarians" and warriors of multiple levels.
Just for fun, instead of calling them by their class name, call back the old level titles. ;) Think about it, the Acolyte 5e NPC is a low-level, Cleric, but acolyte was, I believe, a 1e level title. Go for it. Let's see some Lamas, Myrmidons, and Footpads. It'll be nostalgic fun without actually screwing up the classes.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a few quick template critters in the back, such as the monstrous vermin from 3e that could scale to any size. Doesn't make sense that something comes in only two flavors, Tiny and Large, and this would open up CR-appropriate options for ranger companions and Druid shapes at any level.

I actually kind of don't want to see that. While it seemed cool when 3e came out, I've come to prefer that in 5e there are certain specific species of monstrous vermin and giant beasts, rather than insects and arachnids of all sizes, and dire everythings. It's just more flavorful and feels like it creates a world.

no matter how cool tressym are, would be, I agree, taking up space better used for updating more well-known and popular monsters from eras past.

Fortunately, they have given us the tressym for free in the intro chapter download!

I know that there's no way to get consensus here but I'm another one who wants the monsters from the APs in Volo's. I haven't bought the APs as the only thing I'd want from them are the monsters (and maybe the magic items) so it would be great for me if I could get those in one place.

Actually, is there a list of monsters, magic items etc that are in the APs somewhere?

After Volo's is released, someone should make a list like that so everyone can keep track of what's where...

delericho

Legend
(I disagree with the page-to-price ratio issue too. It's not too many fewer pages than your typical AP for the same price, and will no doubt see much more use over the edition's lifetime than the APs ever will. So what is loses in page count, it will more than make up for in utility, in my opinion at least).

That's one way of looking at it. Another is to note that "Tome of Beasts" is twice the size and the same price.

That's one way of looking at it. Another is to note that "Tome of Beasts" is twice the size and the same price.

Another way to look at it is that Tome of Beasts isn't able to have any WotC IP monsters, while Volo's will. I want the official versions of old D&D monsters - I can make up new ones for free if I wanted...

Last edited:

Remove ads