• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters - Which monsters do you want to see?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
With only a little more than a month to go before release at FLGS, I hope WotC starts dropping some more hints/previews like the artwork released earlier in the month. I'm really wanting to know more of what will be in this one!

Wolfgang Baur was on the Wizards podcast, promoting the Tome of Beasts, and Perkins & co. did a basic introduction to Eliminster and Volo, and how their interaction works.

Olive

Explorer
I hadn't realised that being WotC IP affected the price-per-page ratio.

Of course it does! WotC will always be able to charge a premium for products. Regardless, the price per page was always going to be higher for non-core books within WotC.

Thanks for that. I don't have any of the APs but it really looks like the vast majority of creatures in the books are unique. Is that right? There's the drakes, derro, elemental myrmidons and a few others but most of these thigns are named NPCs.

The first couple of AP's were mostly cultists in NPC classes introduced in the AP, a unique big cultist (or 4), the big bad(s), and a couple of midlevel monsters, but OotA had a lot of monsters and CoS had a lot of unique NPC's. [I hope to start reading Storm King next week]. I think the cult thing has run its course for a bit, so it is hard to predict what future AP's will have. If they are still going to have the froghemoth/scifi one, I would expect that to be chock full of new critters.

While I do like the monster more than the NPC classes in the AP's (with one or two exceptions), I was kind of hoping that any feywild or Planescape AP (no idea if either will ever come) has a mix of monsters and NPC classes.

delericho

Legend
Of course it does!

If a 224-page book costs $50, what is the price-per-page if those pages are filled with WotC-IP monsters? If a 224-page book costs $50, what is the price-per-page if those pages are filled with non-WotC-IP monsters?

Regardless, the price per page was always going to be higher for non-core books within WotC.

Yes, they do. But "Volo's Guide" isn't just more expensive than the core books; it's more expensive than the other non-core books too (until now $50 was the price of the 256-page storyline books). Hence the description of the price-per-page ratio as 'disappointing'.

RotGrub

First Post
I suppose the death kiss, flail snail, Ki-rin, are ok, but does anyone know where the Pit Master originates from? Is that one new to 5e?

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
If a 224-page book costs $50, what is the price-per-page if those pages are filled with WotC-IP monsters? If a 224-page book costs $50, what is the price-per-page if those pages are filled with non-WotC-IP monsters?
$50/224 = 22 cents per page. It's the same for both. Why do you ask?

Edit: I guess this should be directed at [MENTION=1297]Olive[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Remove ads