• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote: What are the Best 1st ed AD&D Adventures

Pick the best 1st ed AD&D adventures! Pick all that are worthy

• A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity

Votes: 45 25.0%
  • A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • A3 Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • D1-2 Descent Into the Depths

Votes: 53 29.4%
  • D3 Vault of the Drow

Votes: 70 38.9%
  • EX1 Dungeonland

Votes: 20 11.1%
  • EX2 Land Beyond the Magic Mirror

• G1-2-3 Against the Giants

Votes: 86 47.8%
  • I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • I2 Tomb of the Lizard King

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I3 Pharaoh

Votes: 52 28.9%
  • I4 Oasis of the White Palm

Votes: 51 28.3%
  • I5 Lost Tomb of Martek

Votes: 47 26.1%
  • I6 Ravenloft

Votes: 86 47.8%
  • I8 Raveger of Time

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • L1 Secret of Bone Hill

Votes: 36 20.0%
  • L2 Assassin's Knot

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • N2 The Forest Oracle

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • N3 Destiny of Kings

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • N4: Treasure Hunt

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • N5: Under Illefarn

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits

Votes: 53 29.4%
  • R1: To the Aid of Falx

• R2: Investigation at Hydell

• R3: Egg of the Phoenix

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • R4: Doc's Island

• S1 Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • S2 White Plume Mountain

Votes: 50 27.8%
  • S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Votes: 52 28.9%
  • S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Votes: 57 31.7%
  • T1 Village of Hommlet

Votes: 61 33.9%
  • T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil

Votes: 73 40.6%
  • WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure

Votes: 19 10.6%
  • WG6 Isle of the Ape

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

Votes: 62 34.4%
  • U2 Danger at Dunwater

Votes: 36 20.0%
  • U3 Final Enemy

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • UK1 Beyond the Crystal Cave

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • UK2: The Gauntlet

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • UK3: The Sentinel

• UK4: When a Star Falls

• UK6: All That Glitters

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • H1 Bloodstone Pass

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • H2 Mines of Bloodstone

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • H3 The Bloodstone Wars

Votes: 12 6.7%
  • H4 Throne of Bloodstone

• DL1 Dragons of Despair

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • DL8 - Dragons of War

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • JG: Dark Tower

• There were no great 1st ed AD&D adventures

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Other (speak up!)

• Poll closed .

Quasqueton

First Post
Answer a question with a question...but I am surprised, you asked, its discussed in your thread.
I wasn't answering your question in that post. My question was not a deflection, but a request for clarification. And hopefully you'll forgive me for not remembering the details of a thread from 9 months ago?

I think the issue is watching St Cuthbert battle it out with (one of) the main demons at the end.
I'm sure we don't want to turn this thread into a T1-4 is good/T1-4 is bad argument, but...

The PCs do not watch the gods fight. Without rereading the section, I'll go off memory here: when the BBEGs are about to be defeated, they call for Iuz. When Iuz shows up, Cuthbert also shows up too. They both raise/heal their sides with a wave of their hands, and then vanish to settle their personal fight elsewhere. So, rather than the PCs having to watch others fight the fight, they have to fight it twice all by themselves. I thought this an interesting twist.

So the question remains, why is it so great?
I liked the idea of a large, extended adventure like the multiple levels and nodes of the temple. I liked how there were several different factions within the temple, and the PCs could play one against the other instead of just hacking their way through. I liked how the confusion and hodge podge of mercenaries in the temple let the PCs use stealth and subterfuge to make their way through the temple instead of just hacking their way through. The sad fact that so many Players just mindlessly hacked their way through the temple doesn't mean that was the only way. [How many Players stormed the hill giant steading in hack and slash fashion even though it was written for a stealthy raid while the giants were distracted with their party?] But many DMs then (and now) only awarded xp for enemies defeated in combat. (In other words, the problems are from the DM and Players, not the material.)

I liked the concept of the temple being an historic place in the campaign setting. Heck, the WoG campaign setting books mention the ToEE even with a date on the world timeline. A couple of the PCs in our party had relatives who had been in the original battle against the temple. It's like the PCs get to be a part of the world's history. It was one of the rare adventures that "actually existed in the real WoG" rather than just being first a tournament module placed, after the fact, in the WoG.

It's like meeting Mordenkainen the Archmage versus meeting Mortimer the Archmage. The first has a feel of really being in the WoG. The second has no sense of belonging.

I never noticed many [editing?] errors in the module. It wasn't as well put together and polished up textually as adventure modules today, but it was no worse than the vast majority of adventure modules of it's day.

Quasqueton

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ok, thanks for answering. Personally, I am much more familiar with just T1, but I do know that T1-4 has always drawn mixed reactions.

It didn't recieve a lot of support in the nomination thread, but I put it in knowing that it had played a big role in the campaigns of some gamers I've known, and that is was widely played. Given the results, I am glad I did!

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

The Desert of Desolation is my favourite of all of these. Another great series, UK2 & UK3, always gets forgotten about which is frustrating as these two modules are, IMO, vastly superior to The Temple of Elemental Evil, Q1 (a poor end to a great series) and others.

Cheers

Richard

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Q1 gets lots of points from me for the Demonweb itself, and especially for the unusual material plane worlds attached to it. Utterly unlike anything else available at the time.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dragon & Dungeon

Altalazar

First Post
I wonder if one can get, out of the deep haze of memory, what was truly great and what was truly just nostalgia... I think we ought to pull these out and play them again to really judge...

I can't believe how many people seem to like the abominably railroady A-series. That bit in A3... ugh. It opened the door to Tracy Hickman and the dreaded Event-Based Scenarios.

Some of those modules were truly outstanding, though. I'm surprised L1 and UK4, in particular, haven't received more love.

Silverleaf

First Post
I voted for DL1 Dragons of Despair only, but now I see you can vote for more than one module. I would have added D1-2 and D3...
If there were any Basic/Expert modules, I would have picked B5 Horror on the Hill, that's my real all-time favorite module (even though it's not a very fair one...)

Remove ads