• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E War of the Burning Sky (5E)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Just the blurb I put in the OP, really: Until recently, that nation was ruled by the most "worthy" member of eight noble families, one of which was a dwarf family. Currently, it has a king but is ruled by a council (the king's vote counts extra) of the ruling nobles, so the Dashgoban noble family still has as much power as any of the human ones.

I can answer any questions, though?

Actually, I'm fine being Steppengard's grandson. With 18 children, he likely has many grandchildren, and if you are ok with it, lets say that he is the first heir to Steppengard. This will stirr things a bit ;-)

I do have a question: since it seems to have a big impact on Dassen's culture, can you tell me more about the Book of Eight Lands?

FYI, my character is up in the RG.

Cheers,

SG

SuperZero

First Post
The Book of Eight Lands is an artifact that keeps an up-to-date record of all members of the ruling noble families. It also names which of those persons is currently the most worthy to rule. Traditionally, that person was always considered the heir to the throne.
The chaotic line of succession where the second-in-line might be your own brother but the heir is from an entirely different noble line (and worst, possibly a dwarf, so you know her rule is going to outlast your brother) eventually led to less scrupulous members of the ruling lines treating it as more of a hit list.
Steppengard reformed that system. He claimed some of the land belonging to some of the noble families (so the monarch has some lands of their own, since they're now distinct from the eight families) and established that Dassen is now a hereditary monarchy like some other nations. The throne will pass through his own heirs as the Lordship of each of the Eight Lands does through its own family, regardless of whom the Book names as most worthy. He and his wife then set to the arduous task of creating as many heirs as possible to ensure that his line won't be broken any time soon.
While Steppengard did ensure that the monarchy will stick with his own line, he also limited its power. Dassen's national affairs are now decided by council. Each of the Eight Lords has a vote, and the monarch's vote counts extra. Since the Eight Lords largely lead their own lands, each is typically represented at the council by a proxy rather than in person.

The Book of Eight Lands is available for viewing by any Dasseni citizen--one at a time, and under extremely strict guard, of course. It is well protected, but not actually locked away.

In addition to keeping records of nobles and naming the most worthy heir (now merely a curiosity), the Book has protective abilities. It is said to defend members of the ruling houses from some kinds of mind-affecting magic, as long as the Book itself remains in Dassen and the noble stands on Dasseni soil.
It is from this tradition that the superstition of putting dirt in ones shoes originates. Hey, you might be Iz's long lost great-niece twice removed, right? And having dirt from Dassen in your shoes is technically standing on its soil, right?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. I'll update the character sheet and post it in the Rogue's Gallery at some point this weekend.

[MENTION=913]Schmoe[/MENTION]
Kincaid should only have 18 HP.

Sorry about that. I think I posted his HP before I knew what rules you were using for 2nd level. According to the PHB, I think 19 is correct (8 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, plus his Con bonus of +2 per level). Are you using HD/2 for the base addition each level?

Religion bonus should be +6, as it's an Intelligence check by default.

Hmm, that must have been a brain fart. I'm so used to 3.5, where Religion is Wisdom.

Light hammer attack bonus should be +3 at melee or range (thrown melee weapons use their melee ability for ranged attacks, so you actually can't use Dex for it if you wanted to since it's not finesse). Both your weapons should only have +1 damage, though.

Don't know what happened there! Thanks for the correction.

He seems to be shy a few languages. Human: Common and one of your choice; Sage: Two of your choice; Knowledge domain: Two of your choice. So you've got three more of your choice.

Part of the reason I was holding off was to ask if there are any regional languages I should consider, or if there is anything that would be appropriate for a priest of Athena. I can pick some at random, but I don't want to pick one that you think is out of character or not appropriate.

He's missing cantrips known. And you'll probably need your current prepared spell list, too--five spells, plus command and identify. You could afford the expensive spell component for identify if you want to have it.

I'll make sure to list the spells prepared plus cantrips in the Rogue's Gallery.

SuperZero

First Post
Sorry about that. I think I posted his HP before I knew what rules you were using for 2nd level. According to the PHB, I think 19 is correct (8 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, plus his Con bonus of +2 per level). Are you using HD/2 for the base addition each level?
8 + 5 + (2x2) = 17. Wait, where'd I get 18?

Hmm, that must have been a brain fart. I'm so used to 3.5, where Religion is Wisdom.
Knowledge (Religion) is an Int skill in 3.5, too. All the Knowledge skills are.

Part of the reason I was holding off was to ask if there are any regional languages I should consider, or if there is anything that would be appropriate for a priest of Athena.
I considered regional/national languages, but the book ones are simpler and easier to use (and don't require changing the rules as listed).
Orc and Elvish would be the most common (other than Common, of course) simply due to the number of elves and orcs around.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
The Book of Eight Lands is an artifact that keeps an up-to-date record of all members of the ruling noble families. It also names which of those persons is currently the most worthy to rule. Traditionally, that person was always considered the heir to the throne.
The chaotic line of succession where the second-in-line might be your own brother but the heir is from an entirely different noble line (and worst, possibly a dwarf, so you know her rule is going to outlast your brother) eventually led to less scrupulous members of the ruling lines treating it as more of a hit list.
Steppengard reformed that system. He claimed some of the land belonging to some of the noble families (so the monarch has some lands of their own, since they're now distinct from the eight families) and established that Dassen is now a hereditary monarchy like some other nations. The throne will pass through his own heirs as the Lordship of each of the Eight Lands does through its own family, regardless of whom the Book names as most worthy. He and his wife then set to the arduous task of creating as many heirs as possible to ensure that his line won't be broken any time soon.
While Steppengard did ensure that the monarchy will stick with his own line, he also limited its power. Dassen's national affairs are now decided by council. Each of the Eight Lords has a vote, and the monarch's vote counts extra. Since the Eight Lords largely lead their own lands, each is typically represented at the council by a proxy rather than in person.

The Book of Eight Lands is available for viewing by any Dasseni citizen--one at a time, and under extremely strict guard, of course. It is well protected, but not actually locked away.

In addition to keeping records of nobles and naming the most worthy heir (now merely a curiosity), the Book has protective abilities. It is said to defend members of the ruling houses from some kinds of mind-affecting magic, as long as the Book itself remains in Dassen and the noble stands on Dasseni soil.
It is from this tradition that the superstition of putting dirt in ones shoes originates. Hey, you might be Iz's long lost great-niece twice removed, right? And having dirt from Dassen in your shoes is technically standing on its soil, right?

Cool, thanks! Is there Anything else my character should know about Dassen?
Thanks again!!!

SG

SuperZero

First Post
Certainly. I just didn't want to move the action forward until all were introduced.
But I will, shortly. Andocles can always join a conversation in progress--that requires no finagling.

Remove ads