• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

War of the Dragon Queen - Complete set list and pictures!

Felon

First Post
Chiaroscuro23 said:
Eh. Not enough dwarves and warforged.

LOL....y'know, I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was different.

Here's what I love about this set so far:

Translucent fire elementals.
Purple worm...uncommon no less.
Cadaver Collector. That's an ambitous sculpt!
Witchknives.
Dire Rat commons.
Eldritch Giant. Now please get to work on the Death Giant.
Large Green Dragon. When I close my eyes and envision a dragon, I see green, not red.
Magma Hurler. Been trying to think of an encounter with them since the Minis Handbook came out.
Mountain Troll. Whompa whompa.
Stirges. At long, long last.

Felon

First Post
Gold Roger said:
Some people have missed the first one

Some people need a leader for their gnoll archer troups

Some people love gnolls

It's demonic :p

I think the emphasis on the question was intended to be "Why a gnoll archer?"

Gnolls are built for melee.

Gold Roger

First Post
Felon said:
I think the emphasis on the question was intended to be "Why a gnoll archer?"

Gnolls are built for melee.

They aren't that stupid as using bows wouldn't occur to them. Their favored class is ranger and with a mighty bow they deal decent damage. I can see how Gnollish archers are varranted (though shammans and melee chieftains would be awesome minis)

Felon

First Post
A gnoll's use as a classed character takes a backseat to its fundamental role as a low-level humanoid threat that's step up from orc. A rand-and-file gnoll has a 14 Str and 10 Dex. No reason the number of archer gnolls should match the number of melee gnolls.

Gold Roger

First Post
Felon said:
A gnoll's use as a classed character takes a backseat to its fundamental role as a low-level humanoid threat that's step up from orc. A rand-and-file gnoll has a 14 Str and 10 Dex. No reason the number of archer gnolls should match the number of melee gnolls.

Hmm, there are three melee gnolls, though one is a remake, but it's four if you count the flint. I guess it's simply the days of 3.X, where classed humanoids are to be expected.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I'm just weeping that the Tundra Scout is a Huge Rare -- which really means ultra-rare, even though they won't say it. I mean, if there's only 1 huge figure per pack, then Huge Uncommon has the same frequency/pack as a regular rare, & Hure Rare is somewhere between that & 'chase'.

*sigh*

Dangit, I want 3... no, 5... no, a hulking CAVALRY of tundra scouts, leading the charge at the head of the Winter King's army as his forces sweep across the land, leaving icy fields of frozen corpses in their wake! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :scary wide-eyed stare:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Snapdragyn said:
I'm just weeping that the Tundra Scout is a Huge Rare -- which really means ultra-rare, even though they won't say it. I mean, if there's only 1 huge figure per pack, then Huge Uncommon has the same frequency/pack as a regular rare, & Hure Rare is somewhere between that & 'chase'.

That's not correct. The numbers don't work that way.

There is one Rare Huge in every 3 packs, and there are 6 rare huges in total. That means there will be a Tundra Scout in every 18 packs.

Meanwhile, the Golden Protector (a regular rare) will appear once in every 18 packs.

It's the same rarity. Your total number of huge rares will be 1/3 the number of regular rares, but the frequency of individual figures is the same.

(An particular uncommon huge, such as the Huge Fiendish Spider appears once in every 9 packs).

Dangit, I want 3... no, 5... no, a hulking CAVALRY of tundra scouts, leading the charge at the head of the Winter King's army as his forces sweep across the land, leaving icy fields of frozen corpses in their wake! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :scary wide-eyed stare:

That would be cool - being rare is just annoying for getting duplicates regardless of whether they're huge or normal.

Me, I want several Sorcerers on Black Dragons. (Which is why I love the Dragon promo figure!)

Incidentally, a case of WotDQ is 6 boosters, AFAIK. Wizards have been good at "seeding" cases in the past, so a WotDQ case should give you 2 rare huge figures and 4 uncommon huge figures.

Cheers!

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Well, I stand corrected on the huge rare issue. Actually, it seems like it's the huge uncommons which should be renamed then, since they only come 1/pack (unlike regular uncommons) -- not saying the numbers work out that they'd be less common overall (since there are less of them to draw from), but it does make a difference for somone only getting a very few packs (people do that? ;p ).

Incidentally, a case of WotDQ is 6 boosters, AFAIK. Wizards have been good at "seeding" cases in the past, so a WotDQ case should give you 2 rare huge figures and 4 uncommon huge figures.

Don't even talk to me about distribution. I've bought factory-sealed cases & had TERRIBLE luck getting complete sets. The worst was Underdark; I bought 2 sealed cases & still came out SEVEN rares short of a full set. :(

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Snapdragyn said:
Don't even talk to me about distribution. I've bought factory-sealed cases & had TERRIBLE luck getting complete sets. The worst was Underdark; I bought 2 sealed cases & still came out SEVEN rares short of a full set. :(

That's pretty much spot on for what should happen. Two cases on average will leave you 6 rares short.

Cheers!

Remove ads