• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warforged: Like them or loathe them?

What role should warforged play in 4E?

• Cool! Warforged should be in the PHB.

Votes: 69 20.1%
  • Meh! Warforged should be in 4E but not in the PHB. Maybe in PHB2 or 3.

Votes: 203 59.0%
  • Blah! Warforged should NOT be in 4E at all.

Votes: 72 20.9%

Henry

Autoexreginated
Mouseferatu said:
Actually, that's a misconception (albeit one heavily influenced by much of the artwork). As written, however, warforged are a mixture of materials--metals, yes, but also various types of stone, and even organic materials such as woods and leathers.

Alas, they're not frequently drawn to make that fact obvious. :( I think they'd be a lot more interesting in appearance if they were.

This is why WotC NEEDS TO HIRE DARREN CALVERT, Darn it! :D

I absolutely LOVE that guy's concepts of Warforged.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Upper_Krust said:
Hey all! :)

I am a fan of anything thats cool, different and interesting...and the warforged are all of those.

Why should D&D recycle the same fantasy stereotypes over and over again, lets have new classes and new races, mix things up a bit, surprise us.

"Cool" is subjective. Not everyone agrees on what is "cool," or interesting, or appropriate for a fantasy game.

The reason D&D should recycle the same fantasy stereotypes over and over again is because they are exactly that: archetypes that have become so well-known that their presence alone serves as a cultural shorthand for what to expect. The problem is when people can't seperate the stereotype from the archetype- and if Eberron survives long enough, it'll happen to the warforged too. Maybe 5E will see a movement where players are sick and tired of the warforged.

I don't hate warforged, but they shouldn't be a core race. Not by a long shot.

WarlockLord

First Post
I hate warforged in the PHB. Like the concept (PC golems. Badass!), but think that, if our robotic-looking friends are in the PHB, it will screw up too many campaigns.

But on the plus side, I get to have fun watching the firestorm.

Brewhammer

Explorer
Kender belong in Dragonlance. Warforged belong in Eberron. Neither should be in the PHB.

What happens in Greyhawk stays in Greyhawk. :cool:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I'm a fan of the warforged. While I'd rather see old stand-bys make it into the PHB before Warforged, it still wouldn't upset me to see them in the PHB.

Agamon

Adventurer
mhacdebhandia said:
That's not true, at all.

That's their origin in Eberron - but in another setting, they could have a completely different origin.

That's right. In a different campaign they could be the Boredforged. Some dude had nothing better to do and made a wacky metal golem type race. :lol:

shilsen

Adventurer
Agamon said:
That's right. In a different campaign they could be the Boredforged. Some dude had nothing better to do and made a wacky metal golem type race. :lol:
In Mallus' CITY campaign, there's a mechanical race called the Whoreforged. Don't ask!

Ahnehnois

First Post
Constructs as PCs is a very exotic concept, not one I want to see in the core rules at all. For d20 Future, I'd jump all over an andriod PC, but for D&D, um no. I don't know much about Eberron so I suppose they're ok there. I wouldn't mind seeing them in a monster manual (as I have the MMIII w/ Eberron races in it). But not in the PHB.

Core races ought to be of the humanoid type, without funky rules or concepts like what the warforged are bound to have.

Remove ads