• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock = Magical Girl?

D.Shaffer

First Post
(I cant believe I'm arguing in this thread, but anyways)

I have to disagree on this one. The Classic magical girl does have a magical attack they use over and over, but usually they only use it once per episode after a few minutes fighting hand to hand. This tends to upgrade as the series progresses. In DND terms, this would be more of a 'Once per encounter' ability rather then an attack she could use round after round. As it's usually used as a 'finishing move', it would be a lot stronger then the typical warlock blast too.

MarkB

Legend
D.Shaffer said:
(I cant believe I'm arguing in this thread, but anyways)

I have to disagree on this one. The Classic magical girl does have a magical attack they use over and over, but usually they only use it once per episode after a few minutes fighting hand to hand. This tends to upgrade as the series progresses. In DND terms, this would be more of a 'Once per encounter' ability rather then an attack she could use round after round. As it's usually used as a 'finishing move', it would be a lot stronger then the typical warlock blast too.
It can go either way. Some magical girls use lower-power ranged attacks in place of the hand-to-hand fighting, which tallies pretty well with the warlock's eldritch blast (and you can simulate the hand-to-hand with Hideous Blow, too).

The Finishing Move attack, from a Warlock, would be an Empowered Maximised eldritch blast, perhaps accompanied by a Quickened blast, or the activation of a high-level wand.

Agent Oracle

First Post
"Moon Tiara Magic!"

The original eldritch blast?

"Mercury Bubble Blast!"

Never. stopped. anyone.

"Venus Love Chain Encircle"

Oooh, Kinky!

"Mars Fire Ignite!"

I can actually see myself being afraid of this atack.

"Jupiter Thunder Crash!"

ZOT!

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Agent Oracle said:
"Moon Tiara Magic!"

The original eldritch blast?

"Mercury Bubble Blast!"

Never. stopped. anyone.

"Venus Love Chain Encircle"

Oooh, Kinky!

"Mars Fire Ignite!"

I can actually see myself being afraid of this atack.

"Jupiter Thunder Crash!"

ZOT!

Ebby's Spiked Tentacle of Forced Intrusion. Nyarly would be proud.

D.Shaffer said:
In DND terms, this would be more of a 'Once per encounter' ability rather then an attack she could use round after round. As it's usually used as a 'finishing move', it would be a lot stronger then the typical warlock blast too.

So you say sword-sages, with thair funnily named maneuvers and disciplines and stuff they can use once per encounter are the real Magical Girl class?

Do say so and you'll get a visit from a certain drow swordsage going Shadow Hand on your donkey! (Oh, I forgot:) Arrrrr, matey!

ThirdWizard

First Post
kitoy said:
You guys are forgetting that they need a feat or class ability that allows them to join hands in a circle, chant a phrase, and unleash a huge bolt of energy to take out the BBEG! Also, the magical transformation has to give them the ability to change sexes as well as shape.

Hmmm... it has potential, but they would need some kind of Feat that allowed them to wildshape into a half-animal, say for example a half-cat girl. Like Tokyo Mew Mew.

ThirdWizard said:
Hmmm... it has potential, but they would need some kind of Feat that allowed them to wildshape into a half-animal, say for example a half-cat girl. Like Tokyo Mew Mew.
Perhaps just a least invocation that allows the Magical Warlock to transform appearance, a least one that simulates "Disguise Self."

kitoy said:
You guys are forgetting that they need a feat or class ability that allows them to join hands in a circle, chant a phrase, and unleash a huge bolt of energy to take out the BBEG! Also, the magical transformation has to give them the ability to change sexes as well as shape.
There's already a metamagic feat in Complete Arcane that lets' spellcasters cooperatively cast a spell. It just needs to be turned into the metamagic spell like ability version, and since they have versions of most every metamagic feat already it probably wouldn't give the DM any headaches (Not compared to putting the Warlock in a sailor fuku anyway).

Klaus

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Teenage Female Shifter Warlocks.

And use the Master/Apprentice rules from DMG II, using an awakened animal, a pseudodragon, a tiny griffon or some other fluttery critter as a mentor.

This will so be my next character.

Hmm. How best to do it? Disguise Self is useful for shapeshifting shenanigans, but so would be glamered armor. I would like to only be able to use my eldritch blast intermittently, but for more damage. I don't suppose there's some sort of prestige class for Magical Girl, is there?

Agent Oracle

First Post
Klaus said:
Teenage Female Shifter Warlocks.

And use the Master/Apprentice rules from DMG II, using an awakened animal, a pseudodragon, a tiny griffon or some other fluttery critter as a mentor.

Okay everyone! you know the words!

o/~
Teenage Female Shifter Warlocks

Hotties in a mid-rift
Magi-Power!
o/~

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I know about "Ball Mage" or something like that, a special kind of spellcaster who specializes in summoning magic he "casts" by casting small balls on the floor. You may find the necessary parts for your own PrC in that one.

It's in the Bride of the Portable Hole.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads