• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ways to counter Color Spray/Kneeling

Demon Knight

First Post
Ways to counter Color Spray

I'm just curious, since I am playing in a 1st level arena. Color Spray is a nasty spell (and I'm sure ome of you would agree), and being a dumb fighter doesnt help me in the least. So I was thinking of ways to combat this, and I came up with some ideas. Unfortunately, I wasnt sure if they were legal, so I decided to bring it up here before getting myself in trouble in the middle of a fight.

Since Color Spray is a Pattern spell, it relies on your target actually seeing the spell right? So, could I turn my back on my opponent and treat him as an invisible opponent, closing my eyes to avoid the spell's Patterns? I've seen people go this against Gaze attacks, and I wonder if this could also be used for Color Spray.

Now, dont accuse me of metagaming, please. IC, I have seen some of the mages use Color Spray, so I know which ones cast it often. I am willing to take the risk of closing my eyes to a mage, as it's much better then being knocked out.

On a different note, assuming closing my eyes DOES help against Color Spray, can I open my eyes at the beginning of my action, move, attack, then close my eyes before my opponent's action?

----------------------------------------
Kneeling

On a completely separate note, which should probably be in a different thread, but Im lazy, and dont want to clutter the boards up with a lot of posts.

What kind of action is it to kneel down to gain the +2 AC vs ranged attacks? When can it be done, and how often? Do I get a penalty to my attacks when kneeling?

Darklone

Well. Colour Spray: Yes, closing your eyes would help.
But: You might easily have to do some balance checks to avoid falling prone. Your opponent should get (easy) Spot checks to see that your eyes are closed. He might use Sleep spells instead. He might ready the spell and move to the side. Your speed is halved while blind and you might run into a wall.

Kneeling: Yes, +2 AC against ranged attacks. Dropping to a knee is a free action (dropping prone is free ...). Getting up: I use a ME action. But there are feats who speed this up.

Last edited:

niteshade6

First Post
Closing your eyes would work, but just turning away would not since it covers an entire area. Needless to say though, closing your eyes in the middle of battle has it's own world of problems.

Darklone

The mage in our group yelled in some strange language Eggs every time before he used Colour Spray.

We ruled to let the players who knew that command roll Refl saves to close their eyes fast enough. Though this is not by the rules.... free action outside of your turn and so on.

Fun for the DM: The eyes stayed closed till their next action! :D

kreynolds

First Post
I don't have a problem with someone closing their eyes, but only during their action, not someone else's.

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
Demon Knight said:
Ways to counter Color Spray

I'm just curious, since I am playing in a 1st level arena. Color Spray is a nasty spell (and I'm sure ome of you would agree), and being a dumb fighter doesnt help me in the least.

But, it helps ME! (I'm "Ethen" over there, as I'm betting you're talking about Cold Island, on RPoL, right?)

Since Color Spray is a Pattern spell, it relies on your target actually seeing the spell right? So, could I turn my back on my opponent and treat him as an invisible opponent, closing my eyes to avoid the spell's Patterns?

Turning your back shouldn't be enough; the AoE is an entire cone,not a ray, and nothign says the threads of color move only away from the caster.

Closing your eyes would work; color spray specifically says the creature must be able to see, to be affected.

On a different note, assuming closing my eyes DOES help against Color Spray, can I open my eyes at the beginning of my action, move, attack, then close my eyes before my opponent's action?

But of course. And as soon as you take one 5' step ... the mage's readied action to cast color spray in your direction triggers, and you take a nice, short little nap. :D

Demon Knight

First Post
I knew you'd find your way to this thread, Pax. Hehe.

(plays Oromyn and the late Shelinda)

So what about kneeling? Is it a free action to kneel at the end of your turn? And getting back up is a MEA? Hmm, sounds about right to me. Puts me at ease, knowing everyone wont have +2 AC to all my attacks ALL the time, just half the time.

Here's to hoping the DM decides on a MUCH larger arena....

------
I need to change my sig, since Jarl died...

Remove ads