• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We are DRAGON KILLERS!

Ravingdork

Explorer
Congrats on a successful battle!

Not to be too much of a spoiler but the DM should have fought the dragon a bit smarter. He should not have had the beastie take opportunity attacks against the Ranger, at least not more than once.

The dragon is smart enough to figure out what happens every time he swipes at the ranger.

I was thinking that myself during the battle. Even so, the dragon managed to get a lucky crit on the ranger and took him out at one point. Also, aren't white dragons the dumbest/weakest of the bunch?

I might have had the dragon attempting bull charges against the fighter to push him back and get the second line troops in range of the breath weapon.

Even if he did us softies owuld have just continued our hit and run tactics from around the corner of the hallway.

That or maybe grabbing the fighter and pulling him back, forcing past the flaming sphere and maybe even putting him down next to it.

That...would have...been awesome!

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Our 3rd level group of 4 took out a white dragon as well.

It attacked us in the middle of an icy squall at sea. We just unloaded on it, first Hunter's Bear Trap-ping it to keep it from flying away, then using Blinding Barrage so it couldn't hit or escape - coupled with a Flames of Phlegethos Crit for 53 + ongoing damage - then Witchfire once it was no longer blind so it still couldn't hit anything, then our Warlock used his level 3 AOE teleport thingy to immobilize it as it tried to flee and it died.

Think it was 1 round 1v1 against my ranger, then 3 more rounds vs all 4 of us before it died.

3 strikers make short work of solos.

Last edited:

ObsidianCrane

First Post
My party of 7 handled a slightly buffed (few extra hp, +1 defences) White Dragon and managed it tidely enough. Which is made more amusing by the fact they half-way negotiated it out of a fight before they decided, "stuff this its trying to pawn us in the deal" and went agro on it.

Flaming Sphere is such an fantastic spell, I've seen it used to great effect as a DM, and used it effectively as a Player.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Flames of Phlegethos Crit: 30(3d10) + 5(Con bonus) + 2(enhancement from rod)+ 6(d6 curse) + 6(d6 quarry from ranger MC) + 2d6(on-crit bonus from +2 rod). It could have been as much as 61 if the lock's player had rolled max on the 2d6.

Last edited:

elwynbdas

First Post
Party too powerful

To me it seems that this particular party is too powerful for its level. The DMG suggests only 1 or 2 healing potions max, and the magic items like +2 rod etc. are way too powerful for this party.

My 1st level, 4 characters party defeated the dragon only because the wizard was lucky and put the dragon to sleep for one round, and also with a very effective sneak attacking rogue.

Otherwise they'd be all dead.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
To me it seems that this particular party is too powerful for its level. The DMG suggests only 1 or 2 healing potions max, and the magic items like +2 rod etc. are way too powerful for this party.

My 1st level, 4 characters party defeated the dragon only because the wizard was lucky and put the dragon to sleep for one round, and also with a very effective sneak attacking rogue.

Otherwise they'd be all dead.

Our party was level three(3) when we killed the dragon. Level 6 items (like the plain vanilla +2 magic rod our warlock has) can be given out as early as 2nd level.

Remove ads