We be Licktoads! We make raid!
Put the longshanks to the blade!
Burn them up from feet to head,
Make them hurt, then make them dead!

Cut the parents into ham,
Smush the babies into jam,
All the rest in pot get stewed,
We be Licktoads - you be food!

You are goblins of the Licktoad tribe, who live deep in Brinestump Marsh, south of the hated man-town called Sandpoint. Once, other goblins tried to burn Sandpoint down, and they would have been legends if they had succeeded. But they didn’t bring enough fire, and got themselves killed as a result.

Yesterday, your tribe discovered that one of your own had been using forbidden arts and was engaged in one of the greatest of taboos—writing things down. In fact, rumor holds that what he was writing was a history of your tribe! There’s no swifter way to bring about bad luck than stealing words out of your mind by writing them down, and so your tribe had no choice. You branded the goblin’s face with letters to punish him, which is why everyone calls him Scribbleface now, and then you ran him out of town, took all of his stuff, and burned down his hut.

That’s where things got interesting, because before you all burned down his hut, Chief Gutwad found a weird box within the building. Inside was a map and a lot of fireworks—fireworks that immediately came to use in burning the hut down. Then, this morning, Gutwad announced that tonight there would be a feast in order to drive out any lingering bad luck from Scribbleface’s poor decisions. But perhaps even more exciting, all of you have been secretly invited to meet at Chief Gutwad’s Moot House. Why would the chief want to speak to you? It can only mean that he’s got an important mission for you all ... one that the other goblins of the tribe couldn’t pull off. This could be your chance to go down in Licktoad history!

Lying at the center of the village, the chief ’s Moot House is a veritable museum of Licktoad heroics — crammed with trophies such as stolen weapons, shiny bits of treasure, and the brine-pickled bodies of dozens of brutally slaughtered small furry animals (mostly dogs).

His Mighty Girthness Chief Rendwattle Gutwad rules Licktoad Village from atop the great Teeter Chair, which is 6 feet high and allows him to more properly look down on his subjects. By tradition, Chief Gutwad does not speak directly to his subjects. Instead, he employs an adviser through whom he whispers instructions, for the words that come out of his mouth are so mighty that they might frighten away all the words in the heads of lesser goblins. Only his duly appointed advisor, an overdressed, pompous goblin named Slorb, can handle the might of the chief ’s words without fainting from fear.

The four of you have gathered before the entrance to the Moot House and are awaiting invitation from Slorb to enter.

Kaodi

Hero
Stumpbiter grumbles something unintelligible. The support beams of the Moot House look so tasty, but he is still smarting from the beating he got last time he tried to take a bite out of them. The burly goblin tries to occupy himself playing with his fun ball, but the grain of the wood just looks so scrumptious, he cannot help but be tempted. He inches towards the house, nearly toothless mouth watering and it slowly opens...

Krug

Newshound
Poog taps his foot impatiently. His pet toad Dogfinder sits on his head, staring into the empty air. Sparks seem to flicker from his fingers as he snaps them, and there's a distinct smell of charring surrounding him.

An audience with the chief. So my ascent to greatness starts. Oh those fireworks were so pretty that night. A boom here and a boom there! I wonder if anyone saw me lighting one of them with my spell.. oh so pretty... Zarongel I hope you saw! He scans the others waiting for the chief. Well, obviously it looks like I'll be the one who does the bulk of the work for this group...

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Mogmurch joins the others. He is dressed in his best...a crumpled jester's hat sits upon his head, and a skull mask over his face. His pet toad Amfibler is perched upon his shoulder, and Mogmurch's fingers are covered in some sort of blackish resin...probably the remnants of his latest experiment. He hops from one foot to the other, clearly impatient to proceed into the Moot House.

EMP

First Post
Chuffy sneers as one of the many boils covering his face bursts and the pus runs down his. "Why Chief summon Chuffy and make him wait." he mumbles under his breath. He sets the cage holding Stankrush on the ground as he pulls a tindertwig from his pouch. "Maybe Chuffy just make a fire while Chuffy waits." As he ignites the tindertwig he begins humming something.

kinem

Adventurer
A high-pitched, nasal voice (no doubt chief advisor Slorb) calls out for you to enter.

Inside, fat Chief Gutwad sits precariously atop the Teeter Chair.

Slorb tells you "Sit in front of the Chief", indicating the dirt floor in front of the Chair. A great honor!

But then, much to your surprise and shock, Chief Gutwad himself speaks to you directly in a deep, booming voice.

“You all be heroes. Each of you. You are best Licktoads but for me. And maybe but for Slorb. That you aren’t fleeing in terror from mighty sound of my voice is all the proof you should need. Yet soon, all Licktoad goblins will know your might, for I have picked you for a dangerous mission.

You know about fireworks and map we found in Scribbleface’s hut. Fireworks were fun. But map is more fun. It shows a route to a place near the coast where Scribbleface found fireworks. And it shows there are more fireworks there!

“I want them for Licktoads. You all go get them tomorrow. Tonight we have big bonfire to burn bad luck away from you, and we play many games. Much fun. Tomorrow you fetch me fireworks.

If you meet men, you make them dead. If you meet dogs, you make them dead. If you meet horses, you make them dead. If you meet Lotslegs Eat Goblin Babies Many ... you maybe should run.

And if you not find fireworks, you not come back or we feed you to Squealy Nord!

Slorb, give them map."
Slorb gives Mogmurch the map. "Now go!”

Time to go prepare!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The map is relatively simple, showing little more than the Licktoad village, the old shipwreck on the coast that supposedly contains the fireworks, and the creek that runs between the two locations. Unfortunately, the old wreck is also located in the part of the swamp that all Licktoads know to be the territory of Vorka the cannibal.

Thinking about it, you recall the following information:

[sblock=Brinestump Marsh]The marsh is a place of great bounty, with lots of places to hide and lots of delicious things to eat. Some of those things are poisonous, though. One of the best things about the marsh is that the longshanks don’t normally come into it. They’re afraid of the monsters. Among the dangers that you can expect to face in the portion of Brinestump Marsh that you’ll be heading through are wild dogs, giant bugs, giant snakes, and giant frogs. Oh, and Lotslegs Eat Goblin Babies Many. And maybe Vorka.[/sblock]
[sblock=Lotslegs Eat Goblin Babies Many]There are plenty of giant bugs in the swamp, but the giant spider known as Lotslegs Eat Goblin Babies Many (known more often simply as “Lotslegs,”) is the most notorious. The giant spider lives somewhere in the marsh between the Licktoad village and the coast, and the route that Scribbleface’s map shows leads right through the its territory.[/sblock]
[sblock=Vorka]One of the greatest terrors of the swamp is old Vorka, a ravenous cannibal goblin who, legend tells, was once the wife of a Licktoad chieftain. She murdered and ate that chieftain, as well as several other goblins, before she was driven out of town many years ago. Since then, the story says that she’s lived alone somewhere along the coast to the west of Licktoad village, and while she’s never returned, most goblins who go missing in that part of the swamp are assumed to have been eaten by the cannibal.[/sblock]
[sblock=Squealy Nord]A fearsome boar (or so the goblins say) who lives in a muddy pit in the middle of the village, right next to the goblin baby cages.[/sblock]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Goblins toil all afternoon to build the bonfire out of branches, sticks, and unburnt timbers taken from the ruins of Scribbleface’s hut.

As night falls, a group of four struggling goblins carry the Teeter Chair (with Chief Gutwad sitting atop it) out to the bonfire, and the chief lights the fire with a Desnan candle firework.

This signals the start of an all-night party that features lots of good things to eat (snails, fish, and snakes).

The chief brings out a barrel of fermenting cider apples. You know that many goblins will soon be drunk. Who among you will join them?

Krug

Newshound
Poog is excited when he hears the orders from Chief. A chance for glory! If only he had better companions...

During the evening's revelries, Poog takes a drink. "This is to celebrate my soon-to-be great status amongst Licktoads and all goblins! *HIC*" Dogfinder appears unimpressed. Poog stuffs a snake in his mouth, the tail portion of the supposedly-dead reptile flicks about in a disturbingly animated manner as he gradually chomps his way through it.

Kaodi

Hero
" Thank you, Chief Gutwad, for delicious looking barrel! " exclaims Stumpbiter. Far from being interested in the liquor, the barbarous goblin sinks his remaining teeth into the side of what he sees as the exotic cousin of his namesake.

Rhun

First Post
Mogmurch smiles wickedly, and unceremoniously stuffs the map into his steel codpiece. It should be safe there. The thought of bringing home a load of fireworks pleased him greatly, though the journey before them would be a dangerous one.

He joins the celebration, but is unsure about drinking the cider. If they were to leave tomorrow, it would be better to do so without the hangover that often accompanied the drinking at their gatherings.

EMP

First Post
He follows Slorb into the chamber and takes his direction to sit in front of the Chieftain himself. 'I've made it big this time!' Chuffy thought as the Chieftain began to speak but when fireworks was mentioned is when his eyes lite up and he may have even wet himself a little. "Make boom and fire!" He exclaimed without realizing it and didn't even flinch when several boils burst on his face.

Chuffy looked at feast in front of him with a confused glare. 'Where to start?' he thought to himself. He could see Fat Frog helping himself to some delicious bugs and finally decided on starting with the biggest fish he could find. Once he started he couldn't stop eating and soon grabbed a few of the fermented cider apples. It wasn't until then that he noticed Shagmai, a female Licktoad, calling him to follow her and he did so as soon as shoveled the food in hand into his mouth.

[sblock=OOC] Sorry I didn't get this up with everyone else.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads