• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E We have more posts in our 4E forum than WotC has in theirs..

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I wouldn't say that it is because of a younger crowd on the WotC boards as opposed to us fossils. The culture of the boards are different.

The WizOs are representatives of 'The Man'. Heck they even have monolithic titles 'WizO' Anything they do takes on the weight of Almighty Hasbro! I think for the most part the moderators on the WotC boards are too lenient. Flame wars go on for a few days and then there is the draconian thread lock or a banning of discussing WotC novels. The volume is very heavy for the amount of mods they have so the discussion gets a little rougher, a little seedier. The price of popularity I guess.

Contrast that with EN World. The mods are fellow players. Members self police themselves. How many threads have people counting down to a thread lock only to have the thread self correct? People are used to disagreeing here, but they respect each other enough to back up their arguments with fact or well reasoned opinion. The no politics and religion rule plus the constant reminder not make personal attacks keep the conversation civil.

Now the perception of Hasbro is the biggest difference. The WotC mods are all gamers too. They want to see a nice hearty discussion like everyone else but the volume is insane. Pages and pages of threads are posted everyday. Scanning for trouble would take an army of mods and a responsive population. I don't know if that tide can be turned. Flaming a thread to oblivion is a debate tactic there. I am happy to have a rational place to go to get news and debate here at EN World.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
grimslade said:
I wouldn't say that it is because of a younger crowd on the WotC boards as opposed to us fossils. The culture of the boards are different.
Agree. It's no fun to troll here. People are too smart and/or liberal.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads