We made the DM cry...

Mystery Man

First Post
Henry said:
Are you or one of the other players a more experienced DM by chance? Would it be more helpful for your group to take it a little easier on the new DM, and offer some friendly advice before he declares DM'ing an impossible task based on one or two bad experiences? Just a friendly suggestion - a WORKING DM is handier to have than a broken one. ;)

Yes, point your DM to this thread so we can school him.

Narfellus

First Post
A 1st level stone golem monk? Hmm. I supppose it's all a learning experience, but that campaign sounds like it's going to have some problems off the bat.

Empress

First Post
Anthro78 said:
Well, it was a party of a stone golem monk, a yuan-ti pureblood ranger, a thri-keen barbarian and my character, a human warlock, all first level pc's. (The DM has a problem with ECL so he threw it out. My first character, a balor rougue was rejected...)

Anyhow, the kingdom was rabidly anti-arcanist, and my character was undercover. When the kingdom's only wizard invited us to dinner, then proceeded to attempt to mentally probe us and steal my character's stuff, he got a little angry and toasted the wizard's favorite chair. This resulted in my character being thrown into a cell and vowing to slaughter the wizard and his progeny. Basically the wizard was supposed to be some sort of patron, but I've gone and sworn to kill him and his children, so the DM ran out of options. That was when the sobbing started.

Oh, and he smelt of elderberries! Dirty Ka-nig-itt!
While I don't understand half of what your classes and races are, what I do understand is an inexperienced DM made some adjucative mistake and you, all above the age of juvenile behaviour, chose to wreck the series the best way possible by a) creating silly and abusive characters and then b) reacting poorly to in-game events.

Oh, and then you come here and brag about the "magical time you made your DM cry", or sob.

Yes, I must say, well done.

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
Yeah you're DM for allowing a stone golem, yuan-ti pureblood, thri-kreen mixed in with a human Warlock all at 1st-level with no ECL at all sounds like he shouldn't DM at all. He needs to read up on his DM Guide and Savage Species before he intends to throw together parties like that :\

Oh, and I really do hope he realizes there is a template for making a playable stone golem called "Incarnate Construct" or even the Awaken Construct spell. Stone Golems have no Int score :confused:

cmanos

First Post
sounds like he hasn't had a lot of experience.

1) always expect the characters to do the one thing you haven't prepared for.

2) If you need the characters to do something specific, get something specific, not get something specific, think what will happen if they fail.

sounds like your DM needs to sit back and flow with things a bit.

Anthro78

Explorer
Now wait a minute.

Okay, I started this thread to have a bit of fun, not to gloat that we made the DM cry, which is a joke. He didn't cry. He just got that "I've lost control" look in his eye. And then stopped the game.

I DM for this group. I've gotten that look, too. I consider it a learning experience. Obviously something went wrong, and it helps to analyse exactly what. This thread is supposed to be about times when your DM, or you as DM lost control.

In this group's case it happened because the group did something utter unexpected. And the DM didn't know how to handle it, so it spiraled into a funny situation.

The DM is not stupid. We are not gloating. We like our DM. He's a good guy that hasn't done this very often. The game was fun. It was fun when it went right and it was fun when it went wrong, which is exactly what a game should be. It was just funny and I thought I'd ask if there were any similar funny stories that posters would like to share, not a discussion of exactly what is wrong with a stone golem monk or what official WOTC canon exists that would allow one to play that particular game.

Thank you.

Raven Crowking

First Post
I am with Empress here.

Making someone cry, regardless of the circumstances, should hardly be considered a "magical event." Making someone cry who is trying his best to help and entertain you, specifically because of the way you treated his efforts? That's pretty shameful behavior.

Helping someone grow as a DM is a lot harder than playing the fool, so you chose the later. Congratulations.

What you should do is apologize to the DM in question. Then make some more reasonable characters...after all, it's pretty obvious that the wizard would have killed your warlock and his friends shortly after your stunt. Then try to help the guy develop his game. Or, at the very least, don't expect him to try to entertain you anymore.

RC

EDIT: Since you posted while I was writing the above, I thought I would make a quick response to your last post.

Regardless of your last post, it seems pretty clear from your earlier posts that you went out of your way to screw up the DM's setup on the very first day he was DMing. The success or failure of a game doesn't lie completely on the DM's shoulders. Players bear an equal responsibility to make the game fun for everyone...DM included. Creating characters who are obviously going to cause problems, or giving them personalities designed to cause problems (and we are not talking about minor quirks that cause role-playing opportunities here...we are talking about game-busting, "look how cool I am," i-deserve-more-time-than-anyone-else-in-this-game type personalities) is an attempt to disrupt the game. Disrupting the first game, on the first day, that your friend is DMing is simply bad form.

RC

Last edited:

Mystery Man

First Post
Anthro78 said:
The DM is not stupid. We are not gloating. We like our DM. He's a good guy that hasn't done this very often. The game was fun. It was fun when it went right and it was fun when it went wrong, which is exactly what a game should be. It was just funny and I thought I'd ask if there were any similar funny stories that posters would like to share, not a discussion of exactly what is wrong with a stone golem monk or what official WOTC canon exists that would allow one to play that particular game.

Thank you.

Yes indeed this thread blew up on ya. :D Welcome!

You inspired a poll from me though.

Patman21967

First Post
Anthro78 said:
Well, it was a party of a stone golem monk, a yuan-ti pureblood ranger, a thri-keen barbarian and my character, a human warlock, all first level pc's. (The DM has a problem with ECL so he threw it out. My first character, a balor rougue was rejected...)

Anyhow, the kingdom was rabidly anti-arcanist, and my character was undercover. When the kingdom's only wizard invited us to dinner, then proceeded to attempt to mentally probe us and steal my character's stuff, he got a little angry and toasted the wizard's favorite chair. This resulted in my character being thrown into a cell and vowing to slaughter the wizard and his progeny. Basically the wizard was supposed to be some sort of patron, but I've gone and sworn to kill him and his children, so the DM ran out of options. That was when the sobbing started.

Oh, and he smelt of elderberries! Dirty Ka-nig-itt!

I think, if my players actually suggested these characters, I would have cried too....What ever happened to playing normal characters? I read these boards everyday, and see this becoming somewhat of a fad. We have moved back to DnD when 3rd edition came out, and the most radical concept so far, has been a Half Dragon Minotaur warrior, but I allowed it, beacuse he did alot of work in coming up with a reason for it. The group I currntly GM is him, Human RSOP, a human weapons master, a human mystic theurge. I made him take all the negatives for starting as a +8 ECL too. The game I play in, the same group, in FR is all human, I am a Rogue 3/Wiz 1, we have a ranger 4, a Paladin 4, and a Cleric 4.

I am not bashing 3 or 3.5, I actually like it, and I know everyone has the right to have fun, and play the game as it sutis them and their GM, but it is really hard to find different groups to game with. I tried one at my FLGS, and noone wants to be a normal heroic character, and earn their stuff. I find that making Items so prevalent has been bad too...All they want to do, is trade in items they find, or constantly ask if they can have something made...Geez....I'm happy to find a +2 weapn... :confused:

Remove ads