We made the DM cry...

Trainz

Explorer
Anthro78 said:
The DM is not stupid. We are not gloating. We like our DM. He's a good guy that hasn't done this very often. The game was fun. It was fun when it went right and it was fun when it went wrong, which is exactly what a game should be. It was just funny and I thought I'd ask if there were any similar funny stories that posters would like to share,[...]

You should have said that in the first place. Maybe you would have received a more practical answer.

[...]not a discussion of exactly what is wrong with a stone golem monk or what official WOTC canon exists that would allow one to play that particular game.

It's not surprising or "OMFG!" when you throw something out of whack if you don't play by the rules. Hell, it's like playing a FPS with a God cheat. Boring.

Listen, you have to expect the reaction you got. Most people here can have constructive discussions about D&D because they follow more or less the same parameters. Or when having a discussion, they take into account that most follow established parameters. If you don't, how can you relate with the others ?

Thank you.

Hey, my pleasure. :)

azmodean

First Post
I have to say, it annoys me when a DM introduces a NPC that the party is supposed to work with, and then has the NPC be a jerk and/or have no real reson to work with the party when you really get down to it. My reaction of course is to have my character react as they would naturally instead of trying to work with the NPC just because I know that I'm "supposed to".

The most extreme case of this was in a WWG Star Wars game, the "guide" for the party was continually being a total jerk, and extorting us for more money than we could afford (bribes are fine, but blackmail/extortion just pisses me off :) ) Eventually he made a comment that sent me over the edge, so I shot him. The rest of the party was agast, but they had plenty of time to calm down while we were tring to keep the skimmer from crashing. (did I mention the guide was driving at the time?)

Gomez

First Post
Anthro78 said:
he got a little angry and toasted the wizard's favorite chair.

For some reason, I just had to laugh out loud at that. That is a very unique way to get back at a enemy wizard! :p

Len

Prodigal Member
Gomez said:
For some reason, I just had to laugh out loud at that. That is a very unique way to get back at a enemy wizard! :p
Maybe the chair was his familiar? :)

I don't think the DM "ran out of options" when you turned against your supposed patron. You threw one game session off the rails for sure, but you didn't ruin his whole campaign world. He could have switched the role of patron to a different NPC or removed that role from the campaign. In the short term (after a brief period of sobbing and moaning) he'd have to improvise something, maybe a rescue mission to break you out of jail.

Also: The issue of weird PC races with no LA doesn't seem to have anything to do with the sobbing incident. That was caused by character actions and reactions, and it could just as easily have happened with a party of humans.

DMH

First Post
Mystery Man said:
How can you class a mindless stone golem with no Int score?

Lifespark template from Advanced Bestiary. Though the Awakened Man from Visions 3:Stitches could also be adapted.

As for the thread question, never. I always GM except for a single Omega World session.

Raven Crowking

First Post
azmodean said:
I have to say, it annoys me when a DM introduces a NPC that the party is supposed to work with, and then has the NPC be a jerk and/or have no real reson to work with the party when you really get down to it. My reaction of course is to have my character react as they would naturally instead of trying to work with the NPC just because I know that I'm "supposed to".

Well, of course. By the time we have DMed, say, over a dozen or so games, most of us have realized that we can't count on our NPCs surviving PC interaction, let alone having the PCs react the way that the DM would like. However, a player coming to the table ought to expect problems if it's the first time (or nearly so) that the DM has held that role. And there are, frankly, far more constructive methods to deal with these sorts of "inexperienced DM" problems...assuming that the DM is trying to do a good job.

Another way to look at it is this: Would you expect a first time player to face the same challenges as a seasoned veteran? If not, why not?

I suggest the same probably applies to DMing.

RC

Empress

First Post
azmodean said:
So, do you think it's natural swearing to slaughter the offending NPC and his family?

Doesn't that strike you as a little... much?

Remove ads