We need a unified optional game system or this hobby's gonna die

While I agree the hobby needs new game systems, what it needs is new players! How can the hobby go up against the visuals of online gaming?

IME, for the type of player that would be interested in PnP games at all, the appeal of MMOs isn't the visuals, it's the convenience. There's already a lot of crossover. But the organizational aspects of getting a half a dozen people together on a regular basis for a game that flourishes (if not requires) continuity are daunting.

Frostmarrow

First Post
If there ever is unified effort among the 3pp I hope they make an ip-free, fantasy game with an implied setting at the most. I dislike licensed games (too much baggage) almost as much as I dislike generic games. I'm fed up with spaceships, swords, and guns in the same picture.

CHA2020a.gif

However, maybe Basic is it? Is there a reason Necromancer Games, just to pick one, can't make a few books for Basic?

rkwoodard

First Post
I have thought the same

Herein lies the problem. Too many other systems. We need 3rd parties to come together and have the equivalent of the d20 system and support it TOGETHER, but without all the stupid licensing gimmicks. Then lazy D&D players like me don't have to waste money on "neat games" that will never have enough players in my area to ever bother with.

Until then, you're just going to have 15 other systems all with a "few" players.

What is it? Is it 3rd party ego's that prevents something like this from happening? Seriously, what prevents them from getting together and doing the ANTId20 system and supporting it themselves with their games?

jh

When I play the When I Win the Lottery Game. I don't envision buying D&D, I envision buying Paizo, Goodman, and Necro and forging one company, and creating one game that would blow the socks off everything else. And then the dream spirals out of control with Movie tie-ins and other such silliness.

But I can see where you are coming from and it would be a neat idea.

Of course I am really digging base 4ed. right now.

RK

I don’t know about anyone else, but I already have enough systems that I could run just about anything under. My friends and I were talking the other day that with a little work you could run Farscape under WH40KRPG or Star Wars under CoC. Granted, they might be a rough fit, but I personally don’t really see a reason to pick up a dozen different game systems for a dozen different settings. Hell, my group recently started playing GURPS, and we’ve had d20 Modern for years, so I don’t even see a reason to buy a new Universal system anymore. I think it comes down to the fact that people are comfortable with what they know, and would rather adapt that then have to learn something new.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
There are more good systems out there that ANYBODY could play.
The hobby needs a new way of getting players that also makes some reasonable money.

Before you put out new systems or new supplements you need to find more gamers. A new role-playing game won't do this.

It is a marketing thing, sure. People need to go out and motivate others to try the game. There need to be commercials that show that gaming is a positive life-style choice and it's "cool" (maybe in an "uncool" or "nerdy" way ;) ) to be a gamer. Gaming should be presented as a viable hobby. Gamers must be described in a positive light - they might be nerds, but they are smart, they are self-aware of their nerdity, and they have a lot of fun in their life.

All those negative gamer stereoptyes- fat, smelly, shy, they must be proven wrong by examples, by commercials, by media coverage, by portrayal in movies.
If that means you have to lie, so be it.

Of course, gamers also have to stop seeing themselves as "elitist" and there are "real gamers" and those that just come because its cool. Because at the end, the only thing that counts is the fun you have at your game table.

Of course, I have no idea how to make this work. I just know that creating a new system is hard, important, and totally not what will create more gamers.

Arnwyn

First Post
Thoughts?
I suspect most new games will be consigned to your category #3.

We have always had plenty of other systems. We just need the die hard "D&D only" crowd to look around and spread their RPG wings for the first time ever.

For some reason 80%+ of D&D gamers are happy with just D&D.
That would be me... and not only do I have "some reason", I have multiple reasons!

1) I like D&D. So yeah, I'm happy with just D&D.
2) Job + Life = nuh-uh to multiple games. Only one game need apply.

I, thankfully, don't "need" to do anything.

That would be my reason anyway. And nobody has the right to tell me that I NEED to spread my RPG "wings." I've been there, done that. D&D is the only game that has had the staying power to hold its spot as my game of choice.

Yeah, that would describe me. I've played other games, but D&D is the only one that really scratches that itch, and given limited time to devote to RPGs, I finally decided to be game-monogamous with my first love.

Treebore

First Post
Maybe because, despite gamer elitist claims to the contrary, D&D is actually a fun game to play that satisfies the gaming needs of its users. :eek:

That would be my reason anyway. And nobody has the right to tell me that I NEED to spread my RPG "wings." I've been there, done that. D&D is the only game that has had the staying power to hold its spot as my game of choice.

I have my game of choice too, but it doesn't keep me from running or playing L5R, Shadowrun, Traveller, Mutants and Masterminds, GURPS, Paranoia, Gamma World, Twilight 2000, etc...

I just don't play the others nearly as much as my "game of choice".

Nor do I think my "game of choice" is the best RPG on the market. It just does what I like the best. So its the best RPG for me. D&D (whatever the edition) is the best for you.

What I am talking about is the vast majority of D&D gamers who refuse to even try/play anything else. There are plenty of RPG's worth playing besides D&D.

Treebore

First Post
I suspect most new games will be consigned to your category #3.

That would be me... and not only do I have "some reason", I have multiple reasons!

1) I like D&D. So yeah, I'm happy with just D&D.
2) Job + Life = nuh-uh to multiple games. Only one game need apply.

I, thankfully, don't "need" to do anything.

Wow. I guess all the other RPG companies better close their doors and go home. D&D is apparently the one and only for far too much of the potential market.

They certainly shouldn't consider creating even more new RPG's.

Then again, these attitudes conveyed about games other than D&D have proven my point.

Too many D&D gamers don't spread their wings enough to make more new RPG's all that viable. Too much of the potential market is stuck on D&D. Competition for the gamers who do "spread their wings" is simply too fierce.

So even more "new RPG's" are doomed to failure. WOTC, White Wolf, etc... already have a lock on too much of the potential market.

Stay home new guys. Failure is too likely with how tight the competition for gamer dollars already is.

Remove ads