We need a unified optional game system or this hobby's gonna die

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
What I am talking about is the vast majority of D&D gamers who refuse to even try/play anything else. There are plenty of RPG's worth playing besides D&D.

I don't agree with your 80%+ then. I think many gamers have tried other games, but like me have decided they have time for only one.

Treebore

First Post
I don't agree with your 80%+ then. I think many gamers have tried other games, but like me have decided they have time for only one.

Well, it isn't exactly as if we can argue about the 80%. I just threw that out there and no one has any data to say what the percentage would actually be. However it is rather obvious that very few D&D gamers buy and play other RPG's very often. Otherwise they (the "other" companies) would be much bigger companies then they are.

mechascorpio

First Post
I just bought Savage Worlds EE, Mongoose's Traveller core and the Call of Cthulhu PDF in the past few weeks. It was 4E that brought me back to the hobby two months ago, after a long absence. I wouldn't presume to say that I represent anything, but each of those companies can thank WOTC, in part, for my business and for expanding the whole base by one person. It's hard for me to imagine I'm the only one.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I might run heavily houseruled D&D or CoC d20 if I get the chance. I'm also looking at the BSG rpg for a change of pace. But after having basically entered the game at the dawn of 3e, I'm pretty disappointed at the current state of "mainstream" D&D, and I'm bereft of players who fit my way of gaming.

jadrax

Adventurer
Well, it isn't exactly as if we can argue about the 80%. I just threw that out there and no one has any data to say what the percentage would actually be. However it is rather obvious that very few D&D gamers buy and play other RPG's very often.

IIRC there was some data floating around Usenet in the late 80s that had the % of American gamers who had only ever played D&D, it was interestingly about 80%. (16% had only played D&D and Shadowrun) Of course I would expect vampire to have eaten away at that figure somewhat during the 90s.

Not at all, not anymore than Heroscape vs. DDM (which are both under the WOTC Flagship now).

And 4ed is not an entry-level game, nor will it ever be on the ToysRUS store shelves (the beginners game coming out might, but I doubt it).

RK
WTF?! You say that like it's a bad thing.

To those of you who are new to the game:
1) I bought my Basic Red Box from Toys R Us
2) I bought my Monster Manual from Sport Mart - that's right! Sport Mart. A Corporate Sporting Goods Store.

If WotC was able to get Toys R Us interested in carrying D&D products again then all the power to them. It's far better for children to get involved with roleplaying because it taxes the imagination, something Grognards are short on. If we wait til their teenagers for recruitment it's too late. They won't have the reading skills or imaginative faculties developed enough to handle Roleplaying Games.

Gotta start young. And Toys R Us is a great place to start.

IIRC there was some data floating around Usenet in the late 80s that had the % of American gamers who had only ever played D&D, it was interestingly about 80%. (16% had only played D&D and Shadowrun) Of course I would expect vampire to have eaten away at that figure somewhat during the 90s.
Your hypothesis is correct ;)

WotC conducted a massive random sampling of US households surveying some 65,000 individuals concerning all types of games and published some of the results on Feb 7,2000. The numbers are as follows:

Getting back to the people still playing the games, when asked what games
TRPG players play monthly, the answers (multiple choices allowed) were:

WotC Demographic Sampling said:
D&D: 66%
Vampire: The Masquerade: 25%
Star Wars: 21%
Palladium: 16%
Werewolf: The Apocalypse: 15%
Shadowrun: 15%
Star Trek: 12%
Call of Cthulu: 8%
Legend of the Five Rings: 8%
Deadlands: 5%
Alternity: 4%
GURPS: 3%

Everyone on this thread should check out this link:

WotC Demo

You'll learn a thing or two about the community you thought you really knew and understood. Some of it seems like a no brainer. Other data are quite surprising.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
It's far better for children to get involved with roleplaying because it taxes the imagination, something Grognards are short on.

I am guessing that you don't mean "grognards" but actually mean "older folks" which requires me to ask, "Who do you think it is who write most of the games?" Not that I disagree that getting folks into gaming younger is a bad idea, of course.

Treebore

First Post
Did you miss the part where people explained their very valid reasons for only playing D&D?

Yes, I did. So are you saying D&D players only play D&D because that is the only thing they have time to play? If thats the case, it still means the new RPG's may as well stay at home.

Which is a shame.

Remove ads