D&D 5E Weapons Table

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Afraid it wont fit on the page so... here's a link:
https://1drv.ms/x/s!At-zPv0cZTn6hkHtMT3-0Jo9l5ju

Bracer - A Bracer item is worn on the arm or wrist, leaving your hand free. It can't be used if you're using that hand for something else, however. Only one bracer item can be worn on an arm.
Brutal X - If you roll within the X highest numbers on any of the weapon's damage dice, roll an additional die of that size and add it to the damage total.
Double - A Doubleweapon has two ends, each with their own entry. Enchantments to a Double weaponapply to each end if applicable. Wielding a double weapon with which yourproficient grants you +1 AC. A Double weapon with the thrown property is notlost upon being thrown.
High Crit - A High Crit weapon increases the range of numbers on which you score a critical by 1.
Honed - A honed weapon is very accurate, to the point where you weapon attacks with it receive a +1 bonus.
Reload X - A weapon with Reload X can make X attacks before you have to spend either your action or bonus action to reload it.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Not sure I am on board with mundane weapons being precise. I feel that the person using said item is what makes any weapon precise. Now, if we are talking about magical items, then I can understand them unerringly hitting their targets with minimal physical effort.

I like the other properties though. Especially this take on brutal, I am a huge fan of the Sickle as a weapon :p.

Hillsy7

First Post
I've been playing around with balancing weapons, and making a process by which you can design anything, so I'd be really interested to see if you had a system to balance/choose properties when you were reworking the table?

For instance, How did you decide a club was brutal and a Mace not? Why is a Light Crossbow now 1d4?

Just wondering if there was some math/process behind it.....

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I've been playing around with balancing weapons, and making a process by which you can design anything, so I'd be really interested to see if you had a system to balance/choose properties when you were reworking the table?

For instance, How did you decide a club was brutal and a Mace not? Why is a Light Crossbow now 1d4?

Just wondering if there was some math/process behind it.....

There's almost nought but maths involved. What isn't maths is personal preference.
I made ranged weapons weaker by a die size and melee weapons stronger by a die size because I value range higher, but other than that, this:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?529673-Codifying-Weapons

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I don't think I like that Battleaxes and Warhammers lost versatile. I find it a quite easy to put a second hand on a hafted weapon for more force.

Edit: adding spear to the list.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I don't think I like that Battleaxes and Warhammers lost versatile. I find it a quite easy to put a second hand on a hafted weapon for more force.

Edit: adding spear to the list.

That's... odd. The Battleaxe and Spear must of been lost in the transfer. Warhammers... can't. They're two-handed.

Hillsy7

First Post
Ok cool.

I obviously like the methodology. What was throwing me initially was the fact finesse and thrown are free. Also some of your calcs seem to have forgotten the martial property (flail), but I'm guessing that's an oversight.

I do have some notes on where your balance seems a bit off.

Depending on how Double works, it either needs nerfing or some kind of benefit. If it allows off-hand attacks without needing the light property, this needs bringing down as it's a significant boost as well as an AC boost. If not, it's much worse than a sword and shield.

High crit is largely negligible damage wise (1 extra dice roll per 20 rolls), except for specific barbarian/orc builds. Even then an increase in base damage would be better.

Brutal (1) as written gives identical damage to an increase of 1 dice size. Anything above that makes brutal the best choice, so it's either pointless or overpowered.

Thrown and finesse should be free. Finesse in particular is highly desirable.

Precise plays about with bounded accuracy, so I'll a little leery....however it does only give a 5% damage spike so is rather negligible save for rogues and battlemasters, at which point it's IMMENSE.

Ranged weapons are seriously down in balance, but I know some people hate on them and I don't wanna open that can of worms, so I'll chalk that up to opinion.

Reload (#) is significantly better than loaded at any number over 1. It should not be treated as equivalent.

Otherwise I like loads off the weapons (yay scythe!) And diversifying weapons by giving them access to more properties. I just personally would give a different weighting to certain properties due to damage and design choices (eg great club and mace are made obsolete by the club)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I obviously like the methodology. What was throwing me initially was the fact finesse and thrown are free. Also some of your calcs seem to have forgotten the martial property (flail), but I'm guessing that's an oversight.
Most probably yes, I took a break between working on it so there may be weapons that slipped through the cracks.

Depending on how Double works, it either needs nerfing or some kind of benefit. If it allows off-hand attacks without needing the light property, this needs bringing down as it's a significant boost as well as an AC boost. If not, it's much worse than a sword and shield.
Double's still kinda experimental. Yes you can TWF without either having to be light, and it boosts AC by one. It's basically the main portion of Dual Wielder.

Brutal (1) as written gives identical damage to an increase of 1 dice size. Anything above that makes brutal the best choice, so it's either pointless or overpowered.
Brutal 1 gives an increase to X/(X-1), where X is the die size. That's not a die size by a long shot. (Brutal 2+ there is no easy maths for.)

Thrown and finesse should be free. Finesse in particular is highly desirable.
Is that a should or a shouldn't? Originally I had finesse costing and light being free but die restricted iirc, but then I swapped it because it matched the vanilla table closer.

Ranged weapons are seriously down in balance, but I know some people hate on them and I don't wanna open that can of worms, so I'll chalk that up to opinion.
Ranged has the massive boost of not being adjacent to the enemy.

Reload (#) is significantly better than loaded at any number over 1. It should not be treated as equivalent.
Reload 1-2 is treated as twice as restrictive as Loading. 3-4 is treated as equivalent to Loading, and 5+ is treated as a non-entity.

Remove ads