D&D 3E/3.5 WFRP 3E full Gen Con seminar movie (dice mechanic and character sheet)

scourger

Explorer
Having watched the video and havign played WFRP & Descent; it still looks to me like they're making WFRP more like Descent. I was also struck that I would be more interested in this type of RPG if it were for 40K, preferably with minis included (like Descent). But, 40KRP has a new line of more traditional books coming with Rogue Trader and then with Deathwatch. So, although I have little interest in WFRP 3e, now I need WFRP 3e to be successful so that they will give 40KRP the Descent treatment in a few years.

Treebore

First Post
Looks like a neat new game that could be lots of fun to play, but to pay $100 for only 4 characters to play, and then to have to buy expansions that I am sure are similarly expensive to get more options? No thanks, I am more than happy enough with 2E. Much cheaper too, since I already own what I want of it.

Primal

First Post
Having watched the seminars... it seems to me as if they've lost their minds. A hundred bucks? Decks of cards? Fiddly, funny dice? You buy an expansion to go beyond 3 players?

What if two players want the same career? Well, buy another $100 copy I guess. What if the Ref wants to design his own careers? Can't do it I guess. What if you lose one of the cards or dice? Buy another set I guess.

Just... weird.

Plus, I've got a sack of hand-inked Gamescience dice. Those are my role playing dice. They abhor interlopers! ;)

Yeah, my thoughts exactly... or maybe they think WFRP players are insane to pay that much for what appears (to me) to be a glorified boardgame -- slightly more complex than Advanced HeroQuest. As I said on another thread, this game is going to take up a *LOT* of space on the table... all those different sheets and cards (I counted almost ten different types of cards -- including Wound Cards, Skill Cards, Status Cards, Insanity Cards, Equipment Cards etc.) and other props.

It looks pretty, but I'm not paying a hundred EUROS (the cost over here) just to try it out.

Good luck to FFG in this venture -- I'll likely keep playing 2nd Edition.

relmskye

First Post
I think the idea is that one only needs a single set of core books per group. Mind you, it is my experience that this is the case for all games; I've only ever heard of all players within a group purchasing the rulebooks in relation to D&D, and even then only as anecdotes on the internet. Anyway, the cards and various props are designed to minimize the necessity for rulebooks at the table, as all the relevant rules will be laid out before you.

One core set, and that's all you need to play the game. $100 dollars is a steep price for an RPG, yes, but you only really need spend it once for the whole group, which means the cost can be shared, and what you get in return for your money is style; You get production values and ease-of-use. Fantasy Flight put a lot of work into this game, and it has the price-tag to match, but considering the amount of content it doesn't strike me as being too overpriced for what you get. $100 is too much to spend if you're not certain you'll enjoy it, which I'll admit is unfortunate, but as I said, one can always try to share the cost.

I think it probably prudent not to look at the Adventurer's Kit as a $30 buy-in to the game; Look at it as a $30 indulgence for those of us who like to have their character sheets look pretty and official. One is by no means required to purchase it in order to play the game, when you can just do it the old fashion pencil-and-a-notepad way; It's just there to look nice. They threw some extra careers in there as additional incentive.

Primal

First Post
I think the idea is that one only needs a single set of core books per group. Mind you, it is my experience that this is the case for all games; I've only ever heard of all players within a group purchasing the rulebooks in relation to D&D, and even then only as anecdotes on the internet. Anyway, the cards and various props are designed to minimize the necessity for rulebooks at the table, as all the relevant rules will be laid out before you.

One core set, and that's all you need to play the game. $100 dollars is a steep price for an RPG, yes, but you only really need spend it once for the whole group, which means the cost can be shared, and what you get in return for your money is style; You get production values and ease-of-use. Fantasy Flight put a lot of work into this game, and it has the price-tag to match, but considering the amount of content it doesn't strike me as being too overpriced for what you get. $100 is too much to spend if you're not certain you'll enjoy it, which I'll admit is unfortunate, but as I said, one can always try to share the cost.

I think it probably prudent not to look at the Adventurer's Kit as a $30 buy-in to the game; Look at it as a $30 indulgence for those of us who like to have their character sheets look pretty and official. One is by no means required to purchase it in order to play the game, when you can just do it the old fashion pencil-and-a-notepad way; It's just there to look nice. They threw some extra careers in there as additional incentive.

I don't know about you, but the "traditional" way in my group has been that whoever is the most excited about a new game asks the rest of the guys if we'd like to try the game or not; if everyone (or even most) like the idea, he goes and buys the PHB (or its equivalent) first, and then we discuss the mechanics in the group and create some PCs. If we like the game, he goes and buys the GM's Book and whatever other supplements he might want. That's 30-50 euros "wasted" at most, and these days you won't usually even need to pay as most publishers offer free quick-play rules and/or extensive previews that can be printed out; I'm hoping that FFG also does this, because shelling out a hundred euros to try a game -- even with all the props and stellar production values and whatnot -- would be, frankly, quite impossible for me. Maybe someone can afford that, but I can't, and neither can my friends. And I don't think the idea of sharing the costs would be wise; to me it'd feel the same as buying the PHB and then letting the DM keep it for me... if I pay that much for a book, I'm taking it home with me.

Likewise, if the group already has enough books (say, a couple of those extra kits plus the core rules), I think it'd be silly that I should shell out 35 euros just to join the game -- let alone convince a newbie to invest that money to try out RPGs.

(Note: I live in Northern Europe, and there is only a single RPG chain in the country, and naturally they have the price monopoly on stuff; that is why the prices around here are 25% higher than in U.S., i.e. 1 dollar = 1 euro)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I do have to say, I'm more optimistic than I was, because the "stance" system sounds really cool, as does the regular wounds being face down with the crits being face up... You know the old phrase, "...now THAT's gonna leave a mark"? Now, it really WILL leave a mark, later. :D

That said, it still sounds too "different" to me. Granted, even if I did buy this game, I wouldn't be paying $100.00 for it (that's what Amazon and Books a Million are for) but it's still a little too different to be an RPG I'd want to play very often. The people who said 4E was too "board-gamey" ain't seen nothin' yet! ;)

EDIT: Oh my God -- the Small but Vicious Dog gets his own character sheet! :D

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
The whole thing is bizarre. If someone told me, I might well have thought it was a hoax. I mean, can you imagine showing up at a role playing session and told you have to use the Corporate Proprietary Dice? And that we can't add you to the session unless you purchase a $30 expansion pack? *boggle*
It's less bizarre if you compare it to card, board or computer games. No one who is used to playing those will even batt an eye.

Actually, most rpg game groups pretty much expect every player to bring her own dice and a player's handbook, unless it's specifically an introductory session.

It's not that far-fetched and if the game is worth it why should anyone complain?

Me, I'm not fond of the custom dice, but if they really add to the game, I wouldn't be opposed to them. It's also conceivable you'll eventually be able to get those dice without buying the whole box.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm not champing at the bit for a new version of WFRP but I'd give this a try. More than likely we'll be able to find it for less than $100 by the time it comes out.

Remove ads