D&D 3E/3.5 WFRP 3E full Gen Con seminar movie (dice mechanic and character sheet)

Obryn

Hero
So you want a game I think is cool to turn into ultrasuck? Well, then the same to you, buddy.
Yes, that's right. That was personally directed towards you, because you're at the center of the universe and nobody wants you to have nice things.

On a more serious note, I can't look at these yet. I still think it might be a fun and interesting game. It's the player limit that more or less kills any interest I have... I have between 5 and 7 players, plus me, every Wednesday and I don't want to tell someone, "Sorry, you stay home tonight. We're playing WFRP3, which is a lot of fun, but we took a vote and you're the least cool so you have to stay home."

-O

auspexRex

First Post
Looks great, well worth the price for everything you get and knowing FF, the components will be top-notch. Glad they seem to be trying new things and actually attempting to innovate. Will buy this and give it a fair shot at the very least. If I don't like it out-of-the-box I'll tweak it or take whatever I do like and use it to inform other games I play.

The presenter mentions that extra dice can be purchased separately, by the way.

auspexRex

First Post
On a more serious note, I can't look at these yet. I still think it might be a fun and interesting game. It's the player limit that more or less kills any interest I have... I have between 5 and 7 players, plus me, every Wednesday and I don't want to tell someone, "Sorry, you stay home tonight. We're playing WFRP3, which is a lot of fun, but we took a vote and you're the least cool so you have to stay home."

Surely there's a limit to how many players you would allow in a game, depending on the game of course? Would you allow 10? 15?

I dislike that out of the box the game is very much limited to a hard number of players. However, if it's because everyone gets nice, full-color components then I'm less bothered by it. I think the cards, sheets, art, and such helps to pull players in and get them invested visually from the beginning. I'm also of the school that more than 5 players is just too much in just about any RPG, so if I like the core set I'll expand up to 4 players and probably be fine. We'll see I guess.

auspexRex

First Post
More than likely we'll be able to find it for less than $100 by the time it comes out.

Very likely true. I've never paid even close to FFG's suggested retail price for one of their games so far. Typically you can find their stuff 15-30% off.

Obryn

Hero
Surely there's a limit to how many players you would allow in a game, depending on the game of course? Would you allow 10? 15?
True, but not really relevant here. There's a difference between not-inviting new players into the game, and telling my existing players they can't play due to a player limit.

-O

Wombat

First Post
Okay, having watched the videos, and being the kind of person who is always willing to try out a new system, my general feeling is ... wow, way too many flashy fiddly bits.

I have enjoyed playing WFRP a few times in the past, under the first edition; I definitely liked the career-character creation, even though it gets rather silly at points. I have read some of the current edition books. Warhammer is generally a little too dark for my taste, but that is easy enough to fudge a bit from campaign to campaign, and I like the Renaissance (rather than Medieval) feel of the setting. So much for my WFRP background.

Now this game has me worried not in terms of the fluff, but the crunch.

Okay, it looks pretty. Pretty books, pretty sheets, pretty components ... and components ... and components. You have to get very particular dice, not just generic dice, and of many different kinds. You need cardboard bits ... of many kinds ... and cards ... and particular sheets ... and the group sheet... This means you need a lot of space at the table and that you need to keep up with such materials for each and every supplement. And if a particular future supplement becomes very popular, that means a lot of these fiddly bits will have to be bought in multiple copies (which will, one hopes, be available separate from the books themselves). This game sounds like a very expensive proposition.

However, I will admit that the concept of the "group sheet" in and of itself is intriguing to me; it reminds me very much of the covenant in Ars Magica, the "overcharacter" that everyone contributes to and links everyone together. This is, in many ways, the most intriguing part of the game as it was presented in the videos. I am not sure I am excited about how the sheet seems to work (especially the "set crisis points"), but broadly I like the notion.

Anyway, initial impressions based only on the videos; the release of the game itself may change all of this.

scourger

Explorer
So you want a game I think is cool to turn into ultrasuck? Well, then the same to you, buddy.

No, I don't want anything ruined for anyone. I just think if that they're going to go this direction that it would be more interesting to me to see it for 40KRP rather than WFRP. I mean, they've already produced Descent (with special dice, a board and minis), and it's got to be hard for any fantasy game to compete with D&D. So, why take WFRP in this direction to compete in a more crowded market when 40KRP really could (& should in my opinion) dominate the sci-fi part of the market with a similar treatment? I think it would be more interesting. But, they have a multi-year plan for 40KRP with 3 RPGs plus associated by-products; so they likely will (& should) stick with that plan until it runs its course. That's why I think a successful, new WFRP may lead to something interesting for 40KRP in the future.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
No, I don't want anything ruined for anyone. I just think if that they're going to go this direction that it would be more interesting to me to see it for 40KRP rather than WFRP. I mean, they've already produced Descent (with special dice, a board and minis), and it's got to be hard for any fantasy game to compete with D&D. So, why take WFRP in this direction to compete in a more crowded market when 40KRP really could (& should in my opinion) dominate the sci-fi part of the market with a similar treatment? I think it would be more interesting. But, they have a multi-year plan for 40KRP with 3 RPGs plus associated by-products; so they likely will (& should) stick with that plan until it runs its course. That's why I think a successful, new WFRP may lead to something interesting for 40KRP in the future.

I think you have a point in that some of these idea would work better for 40k than WFRP. For me at least.

Come to think of it, the Mutant Chronicles boardgame (I don't know if it is in print any longer) has a very 40k vibe to it and has many of these features. You might enjoy trying it out.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I will keep monitoring it but not sure I will be putting it on my list to pick up.

Is it just me -- It appears that the game world is moving to support Warhammer On-line.

Remove ads