• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What ails you?

Angcuru

First Post
Well, for some unknown reason my left shoulder hurts like hell every now and again. When it isn't doing that, it's just an annoying ache. The physical stress on my hands when I'm at work (construction) makes me one of those people with those louck-cracking knuckles that ache like the dickens when it gets cold.

Plus my year-round allergies and permanent post-nasal drip give me fits of ouchie-inducing cough every now and then, usually when most inconvenient. Thus, I don't have very good endurance, breathing-wise. Thus, any period of exercise longer than 15-20 minutes usually incapacitates me. Gotta get me a Bowflex. :p

No one really big thing, but lots of little discomfort-inducers.

My problem is corn. I have an allergy to it. Which doesn't seem like a problem until you find out just how many food additives and preservitives are made from it. You can find a list here

Since this has happened to me I haven't eaten at a resturaunt, had thanksgiving dinner, ordered take out, or even gone to the movies. Potlucks aren't much fun either.

Nor can I take most medicines when I am sick. Including allergy medications.

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
been helped by Cortisone shots into the eye.
Aah! IN the eye? Or just beside it? Either way, that alone sounds painful as all get-out.

I have a throbbing pain in my knee (occasionally my knee even seizes up or gives out, causing me to stumble), I have epilepsy (though not so bad now as it was), and occasionally I have this weird thing where certain sounds (particularly hisses or sometimes water-flowing noises) make my head feel... well, vacant is the best I can describe it. I get very light-headed when I hear them, happens about once a month or so. It's starting to seem like it's only on the right side of my head, which is really troubling.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I declare Hand of Evil the winner.

Mods, you can close this thread now. Nothing can beat getting a shot in the eyeball.

Excuse me while I go kill myself.

Last edited:

I have migraine headaches. They were misdiagnosed for about 10 years, as I had been told I was suffering from reoccuring sinus infections which had a side effect of searing, throbbing pain above and behind my left eye. It wasn't until I met my wife, who also suffers from migraines, that I went to a neurologist who told me that I was definitly suffering from migraines. Less than 6% of men have migraines, but almost 18% of women have them. Just my luck that both of us get them, funny how life is sometimes.

It frustrates me when I hear people say "Oh, I had a headache the other day, it was a migraine." Well, guess what. Most likely it wasn't. Migraines are some of the worst pain you can experience. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst pain you have ever been in, migraines usually rate in the 7-10 range. The other thing that really frustrates me is people who don't believe that migraines are a real medical condition. I've had people tell me "Men don't get migraines" or "Migraines are just an excuse". Sorry, but wrong on both counts. Believe me, if I could get rid of them, I would.

I get a migraine about once every week or so, but thankfully I can usually knock them out with medication and an hour or two of quiet and darkness. But on occasion, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, I'll have a migraine so bad that I need heavy narcotics to put me to sleep so I can get away from the pain. Vomiting, dizzyness, and extreme sensitivity to sounds and smells also come with these.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
I'm having trouble getting motivated. The depression in part of it, but age is playing a role. I could wait until my death, and the life to come after, but that would be boring, and wouldn't do much for others.

It doesn't help that in this life I learned I'm old. Far older than this life. As a wise, old vulture once said, "A thousand deaths is not cowardice, it is merely repetition."

I'm not used to being immortal yet. Maybe in another life or two.

I can say that Tim Rice had it right when he had Jesus say, "To conquer death you only have to die."

But don't rush it, there's still so much to do before you get your next shot at toilet training and puberty. ;)

Zappo

Explorer
Well... luckily, I'm mostly fine. But...
Angcuru said:
Well, for some unknown reason my left shoulder hurts like hell every now and again. When it isn't doing that, it's just an annoying ache.
I had something like this once. On one occasion, touching my shoulder would feel like a stab. Turned out it was just a deep muscle contraption; I couldn't believe that it could do so much pain or last for so long (we're talking months), but with the right medication it went away quickly and didn't come back.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I have migraine headaches.

CL - just be thankful you don't have "cluster headaches". My good friend back home had these. They developed fairly recently for him. It is a rare form of migraine, of which little is known, and apparently the suicide rate is quite high among those who have it. When he feels them coming on, he has to take a shot of imitrex to try to stave it off, but that pain is still really intense. Apparently, it's the worse documented pain in the medical lexicon. These things would bring my friend to tears, and he's a big guy.

He very nearly killed himself inhaling non-diluted pain medication through an inhaler. The act left him deaf in one ear, and hard of hearing in the other, though he did survive. Some of the alternative treatments that he was considering was to sever a major nerve in the back of his neck. The process would shut off the receptors, but it would also cause him to go blind in one eye, and slobber out that side of his mouth. Another alternative is to pull out all the teeth! Some that have done this report success, because there is a theory that states that it starts with nerve endings in the teeth. Yes, drastic measures, but both things he was seriously considering.

Remove ads