D&D 5E What are good magic items for a monk?

I'm starting a campaign and one player has a wood elf monk, likely going Way of Four Elements. We're going to flavor the elemental abilities as derived from dragons, so he's channeling raw draconic power. In any case, it feels like there are very few magic items suitable for monks. Does anyone have recommendations?

CapnZapp

Legend
Much more than possible items, you should give the weak Four Elements subclass every possible freebie you can think of.

Maybe as a starting family heirloom a milky green jade figurine, that when rubbed, provides 1d6 bonus Ki points?

(The four elements monk would be fine if his "spells" weren't so expensive = needs more Ki than other monks)

Good luck with your campaign.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If we're talking offical, then anything that boosts movement speed, or the... Dragon Insigna (I believe), which is a +1 to unarmed strikes plus something else.

CapnZapp

Legend
If we're talking offical, then anything that boosts movement speed, or the... Dragon Insigna (I believe), which is a +1 to unarmed strikes plus something else.
The Insignia of Claws, Hoard of the Dragon Queen, page 94.

Not a standard item (not in the DMG or any regular magic item expansion supplement) but at least official non-third party.

Isn't the Monk already the fastest character?

A standard official item highly desirable for a Monk is Bracers of Defense.

CydKnight

Explorer
I happen to be playing a Wood Elf Monk (Way of the Open Hand) in an on going Tales From the Yawning Portal campaign now and had this very question last night. The question came up because I noticed that of the 7 party members all levels 4 or 5, my character was the only one without a magic item. Strangely I felt OK with this and couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Most of what came up in the discussion were defensive items like Bracers of Defense and perhaps certain Rings including Rings of Protection. The consensus seemed to agree that this Monk build didn't need too much in the way of Magic Items or even Feats because it got something pretty valuable already at most level ups especially at lower levels. Having attacks be considered magical at Level 6 means that I don't need a magical weapon at least after that level.

Having speed I think also gives you built-in options without needing a magic item. As a Wood Elf, you already start at a speed of 35. At level 2 you get an extra 10 feet of movement increasing your total speed to 45. That means you can Dash for 90. Combined with Step of the Wind, you can Dash for 90 or Double Dash for 180 then tack on a double jump at the end. There's a lot you can do with that kind of movement and it will increase even more at later levels.

Remove ads