• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are good magic items for a monk?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I happen to be playing a Wood Elf Monk (Way of the Open Hand) in an on going Tales From the Yawning Portal campaign now and had this very question last night. The question came up because I noticed that of the 7 party members all levels 4 or 5, my character was the only one without a magic item. Strangely I felt OK with this and couldn't quite put my finger on why.

Most of what came up in the discussion were defensive items like Bracers of Defense and perhaps certain Rings including Rings of Protection. The consensus seemed to agree that this Monk build didn't need too much in the way of Magic Items or even Feats because it got something pretty valuable already at most level ups especially at lower levels. Having attacks be considered magical at Level 6 means that I don't need a magical weapon at least after that level.

Having speed I think also gives you built-in options without needing a magic item. As a Wood Elf, you already start at a speed of 35. At level 2 you get an extra 10 feet of movement increasing your total speed to 45. That means you can Dash for 90. Combined with Step of the Wind, you can Dash for 90 or Double Dash for 180 then tack on a double jump at the end. There's a lot you can do with that kind of movement and it will increase even more at later levels.

MC rogue for dash, disengage, or hide as a bonus action, and you're basically a speedster.

nswanson27

First Post
That seems mostly redundant if I already get Dash and Disengage from Step of the Wind though I would be adding Hide from the Rogue's Cunning Action.

Step of the wind requires a ki point to use. You generally don't want to be using those for that. You want to be stunning or flurry.

CapnZapp

Legend
Jumping is essentially worthless in 5e, since you don't actually gain any movement.

You'd be much better off with the Shadow Monk - its teleport does add +60 ft to your movement.

Of course, switching to Open Fist or Shadow would be kind of the best magic item any Four Elements monk could give himself...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't play 5th, but in prior editions, I'd try to get my monks a Quiver of Ehlonna/Efficient Quiver ASAP. Their high Dex and movement made them fairly effective mobile artillery when they could simply rain down spears, javelins darts & daggers all the time.

Note: though the quiver could hold 6 spears, I always used one slot for a staff, just in case my monk needed to melee with an opponent that it was unwise to touch with bare flesh.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't play 5th, but in prior editions, I'd try to get my monks a Quiver of Ehlonna/Efficient Quiver ASAP. Their high Dex and movement made them fairly effective mobile artillery when they could simply rain down spears, javelins darts & daggers all the time.

Note: though the quiver could hold 6 spears, I always used one slot for a staff, just in case my monk needed to melee with an opponent that it was unwise to touch with bare flesh.
In 5e, you need to make sure you use monk weapons, or you'll lose out on some pretty fundamental monk abilities.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads