• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are people hoping for in Monk UA?

Greenmtn

Explorer
1. Ancient Master - Concentrating on WIS more than the physical attributes to do things. It's a Movie trope that I really wish was there.
2. Sumo/Body Hardening - More STR or CON based
3. Weapon Master/Zen Archer.

As a martial artist I see a lot of different styles and see a slew of possibilities for new archetypes here.

To me the monk seems the best class to re create many character from fightring games like Streetfighter and Mortal combat.

For example a monk that can stretch his body could be interesting like Dhalsim from streetfighter ( spenfing Ki to get reach)

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I can only echo what a lot of people have already said: a zen archer, a drunken master and some sort of strength or grappling focused monk would be my top three picks. Perhaps a blind fighter and a kensai would round out the bunch. If we got some combination of those options I'd be pretty content.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I actually would not want to see an archer monk. Not every class needs an archer subclass lol.

And I believe shadow monk fits ninja fairly well. I played one up to level 8 and it worked for the most part.

What I'd like to see, and is probably the most requested, is a weapon monk. I've always wanted to play a Garet Jax type of character. After that, I'd like to see an animal style monk, sort of like stances.

I want to see some sort of reworking on the Elemental Monk concept. Whether that's "fixing" the existing one or new subclasses.

A more weapon focused Monk is probably a good idea, they could try doing something with the Blade Dancer prestige class of 3e.

The other 3e prestige classes they could update is Tattooed Monk (even if Way of the Elements does refer to tattoos) and Sacred Fist (even though Way of the Sun Soul overlaps).

Sacrosanct

Legend
I think lowkey hits a good point. What really is there left that falls under the monk umbrella? We have Avatar monks, ninjas, kung fu fighters, long death death cultist monk, and pew pew laser monks.

Pretty much all the suggestions are just tweaks to one of the existing subclasses already. So maybe not a subclass, but a list of additional powers for the Avatar monk. Maybe s weapon monk that gets access to fighting styles and weapons that count as monk weapons, but I'd treat that as more of a feat than a full subclass. for example:

Monk Weapon Master feat: instead of the stat bonus, the additional weapons you are proficient in are now considered monk weapons.

Remove ads