• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What are people hoping for in Monk UA?

Greg K

Legend
Please no.

Can we just have one class or two (Monk, Barbarian) reserved for those of us who don't want casters?* ;)

This message brought to you by SMACKED. Society of Monks Against Classes that are Known Evokers and Deviants.

*Or casting archetypes. I'm looking at you, Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster.

Then don't use them and stick with the default PHB monk in your campaign if you don't like them. 3e Oriental Adventures had a shaman/monk hybrid base class. 3e also had the divine fist. More importantly priestly monks knowing martial arts, turning spirits, having some mystical healing and other divine abilities or even arcane is not unheard of in some myths and legends in various Asian cultures. Because you do not like it is no reason to deny their inclusion to others that might want it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Way of Weirding - blink teleportation, suggestion abilities, and draw on ancestral memories.
For some reason this has made me think that a zerth monk might be interesting. I think they had the githzerai prestige class in 3e. I've no idea what it would look like, but something based on the githzerai monk could be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G925I using EN World mobile app

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I like;

Zen Archer, Weapon Master, and Grappler Monk.

I don't think we need a clerical monk. I made a European style monk order. They start as level one monks, then most of them level as clerics. A few gain a second level of monk at some point.

If they do gain a 3rd level of monk (the max trainable in the "Order") they must take Way of the Open Hand. They use a quarterstaff as a monk weapon.

In flavor, they act as cloistered monk/clerics that study and preserve knowledge.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It occurs to me that I may sound hypocritical. "Dont' need cleric monks cause we can use multiclass" while saying I like Zen Archer as a concept.

Can't put my finger on it. I could make a zen archer by using a ranger or fighter and adding levels of monk. Or just add longbow as a monk weapon. but it seems like it needs something more mechanically, while the cleric monk seems to fit as multiclass.

IMO.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like;

Zen Archer, Weapon Master, and Grappler Monk.

I don't think we need a clerical monk. I made a European style monk order. They start as level one monks, then most of them level as clerics. A few gain a second level of monk at some point.

If they do gain a 3rd level of monk (the max trainable in the "Order") they must take Way of the Open Hand. They use a quarterstaff as a monk weapon.

In flavor, they act as cloistered monk/clerics that study and preserve knowledge.

I'd say a "Western" (Christian) style Monk would be a Wizard with the Acolyte background.

Carlos Barreto

First Post
1 - Revised Way of the Four Elements Monk
2 - Revised Perfect Soul, making a full monk class more appealing up to level 20.
3 - Revised Tranquility (Level 11 Open Hand Class Feature).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads