What Are Some Good 5e Resources for Running a Ravenloft Campaign?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Are you running Curse of Strahd, the DDAL season 4 adventures, a conversion of one of the earlier Ravenloft modules, or your own original storyline?

If you're running Curse of Strahd, check out the "enhancement" thread for that campaign: Enhancing "Curse of Strahd"

If you're running DDAL season 4, I'm currently writing up my own experiences on turning them into a campaign: Running DDAL04 Adventures as a Campaign

If you're converting one of the older modules, I don't know if we have any threads for that, but if you want to start one, I'm sure lots of people here would be interested. Ditto if it's an original campaign.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Are you running Curse of Strahd, the DDAL season 4 adventures, a conversion of one of the earlier Ravenloft modules, or your own original storyline?

If you're running Curse of Strahd, check out the "enhancement" thread for that campaign: Enhancing "Curse of Strahd"

If you're running DDAL season 4, I'm currently writing up my own experiences on turning them into a campaign: Running DDAL04 Adventures as a Campaign

If you're converting one of the older modules, I don't know if we have any threads for that, but if you want to start one, I'm sure lots of people here would be interested. Ditto if it's an original campaign.

Doing my own storyline. I'm mostly looking for 5e mechanical conversions of the 2e game mechanics like altered spells, power checks, spells, monsters. Ther fear checks, horror checks and madness are mostly covered by the DMG, but I wouldn't mind seeing expansions on those. I was just hoping that someone else did the heavy lifting so I don't have to convert things myself.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Doing my own storyline. I'm mostly looking for 5e mechanical conversions of the 2e game mechanics like altered spells, power checks, spells, monsters. Ther fear checks, horror checks and madness are mostly covered by the DMG, but I wouldn't mind seeing expansions on those. I was just hoping that someone else did the heavy lifting so I don't have to convert things myself.
Here are some resources that you might find useful, in addition to what's in the DMG.

Official Wizards Material

• Curse of Strahd Character Options (Includes backgrounds, trinkets, and a new type of equipment pack; free)
  • Expanded Dark Gifts Table (Pay What You Want)
  • The season 4 Adventurer's League modules each contain an introductory section with information about spell modifications and horror check rules. Some modules from that season are better than others, though, so if you want to buy just one, I'd recommend DDAL04-02, "The Beast" (if you don't care about horror rules separate from those in the DMG, as they're not included in that particular module), or DDAL04-04, "The Marionette" (if you do want the horror rules). They both have solid stories that stand well on their own.

Third Party Resources

Disclaimer: I haven't read any of these, so I'm not making a formal recommendation, just providing links for further investigation. I just grabbed a few of the top-selling titles as examples. You can find lots more by going to DMsguild.com and filtering by the "Curse of Strahd" storyline.

Last edited:

Remove ads