D&D 5E What are the "True Issues" with 5e?

Vaalingrade

Legend
What I mean by immersion is that we tend to act our scene.

Like if we meet a guard at a gate and must pass through, we’ll start a conversation in character and then, if a roll is need for X reason, the DM will call it. The player never start by saying « alright, I’ll roll diplomacy to try to convince him to let us pass. ». Or if we search a room, the player will describe what he’s doing and won’t just call « I’ll roll perception to search the room ».
We act out ours too.

You rock up, say your due, then if you're lying, you roll your Deception/Bluff/Misdirection/This Week's Word For Lie. They're not mutually exclusive.
You don’t get someone else voice in your head when you go look for your keys, but I’m pretty sure you don’t yell « I’ll roll perception to try to find my keys » either.
Not always. sometimes there are curse words.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm not trying to win, I'm trying to have a discussion while people jeer at me for some ungodly reason.

Not every disagreement has to be all Enworld about it.
I'm not "jeering" at you. I'm trying to tell you that you are the one being "Enworld about it". They told you how they do it, and you've spent three or four posts telling them how they're wrong. I only posted to suggest that you drop it, because their method is fine - it doesn't have to work at your table for it to be fine.

It's a sad part of internet communication that everyone seems to think that they are the reasonable one, and everyone else is not. Heck, I'M doing it right now!

Vaalingrade

Legend
you've spent three or four posts telling them how they're wrong.
No I'm not.

That is the point.

I am engaging in a discussion and people are trying to make it into a fight.

This is the most obnoxiously D&D thing ever. On my cooking forums, I can have a discussion over whether that much butter is necessary and explaining why I think half a stick is better and pointing out issues that might come from using a whole stick without people assuming I'm telling the person adding a stick instead of half a stick is wrong and trying to find some conflict.

And even if they did, they wouldn't keep poking after I explained what I'm saying and doing.

Red Castle

Adventurer
We act out ours too.

You rock up, say your due, then if you're lying, you roll your Deception/Bluff/Misdirection/This Week's Word For Lie. They're not mutually exclusive.

Not always. sometimes there are curse words.
I never said they were mutually exclusive, just that it doesn’t work for our group. I specified two times that your experience can be different. If it works for you, it’s all that matters.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No I'm not.

That is the point.

I am engaging in a discussion and people are trying to make it into a fight.

This is the most obnoxiously D&D thing ever. On my cooking forums, I can have a discussion over whether that much butter is necessary and explaining why I think half a stick is better and pointing out issues that might come from using a whole stick without people assuming I'm telling the person adding a stick instead of half a stick is wrong and trying to find some conflict.
No one that I know of is trying to make it into a fight.

I only stepped in because it seemed to me that you were spending an inordinate amount of effort to explain that their method was harder, in spite of them telling you that they felt that it wasn't. You really DID spend three or four posts (SEEMINGLY) telling them they were wrong for doing it the way that they do. I would think that a better method of achieving your philosophical discussion would be to at least acknowledge that their way has the merits that it does, even if you yourself would find it more difficult to do that way.

At any rate, my point was absolutely NOT to get into an argument with you about it - it was the opposite of that (an attempt to end one). So I have failed terribly at what I set out to do. Therefore, I will leave it alone. I'm sorry I spoke up at all now, in fact. And I honestly can't believe that I've somehow managed to be seen as part of an "obnoxiously D&D thing". That's not remotely how I intend to come across. I assume, by your shaking your head about it, that you don't intend to be part of that problem either, and yet, I only spoke up because you appeared to me to be doing exactly that sort of thing. So I think that we've fallen into a trap. Let's make peace instead.

Remove ads