What are you reading (May 2005)

Storminator

First Post
Just finished Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. Interesting, but kind of weird. Some of the stuff is very inventive and implausible (which works for sci-fi), but some of it is fairly short sighted extrapolations from now, which works less well. Over all worth reading and I'll get another of his books.

Also reading an old Conan book, which is fun.

Recently finished up City of Towers and Marked for Death, the Eberron novels, and just got The Crimson Talisman which is another Eberron novel. I'll read that one next week on the plane.

PS

LiKral

First Post
Rabelais said:
Polybius, The Rise of the Roman Empire

Plutarch, Fall of the Roman Republic

Tacitus, Annals of Imperial Rome

Reading for pleasure? I know not of what you speak.

So you are not enjoying them? I am really getting into Roman history writers at the moment. They have so much more life to them than more modern accounts. Rome:Total War has made me want to run a Roman themed game, so I am getting some research done.

I am also reading "The Rise of the Roman Empire"

ragboy

Explorer
Storminator said:
Recently finished up City of Towers and Marked for Death, the Eberron novels, and just got The Crimson Talisman which is another Eberron novel. I'll read that one next week on the plane.

What did you think of Marked for Death?

I finished that last month. Not sure what I think of it. I'll have to pick up the Crimson Talisman.

Currently:

Fiction:
Ilium by Dan Simmons - Mars, moravecs, the Trojan War and post-humans...oh my. Great book!
'93 by Victor Hugo - I've started this book about 10 times. Must finish it this time. The opening really grabs you, but it must peter out after a while. I just tend to drift away from it.

Non-Fic:
Mars, a Traveler's Guide - A book about Mars written like a Michelin's guide.

Comics:
Conan
RoTS

Gaming:
Temple of Elemental Evil - Running the EnWorld conversion for my kids. Fun!
Dungeon Magazine (various issues)

Shag

Explorer
LiKral said:
So you are not enjoying them? I am really getting into Roman history writers at the moment. They have so much more life to them than more modern accounts. Rome:Total War has made me want to run a Roman themed game, so I am getting some research done.

I am also reading "The Rise of the Roman Empire"

I've been reading all the Simon Scarrow books...starting with Under the Eagle..I'm blowing through them so fast!! I love roman books, I read all the Colleen Mccullough books, then all the Steven Saylor books. Ah Rome, good times...well as long as you were a patrician :)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Waiting for my girlfriend at Borders the other day and picked up White Wolf by David Gemmell and started reading it. Bought it and finished it Saturday then went out and bought Swords of Night and Day and just finished it.

Good stuff. I love his fast pacing and that fact that even though the novels are linked, that they are not tied in so deep that you need to read one to read the other. No Martin or Jordan suffering there.

Insight

Adventurer
Just started What If?, which is a compliation of parahistoircal essays by leading historians on what would have happened if various world events had either not taken place, or had turned out differently. It's an interesting read so far, and has some application for roleplaying, especially using D20 Modern (or D20 Past or D20 Future as well).

DanMcS

Explorer
Insight said:
Just started What If?, which is a compliation of parahistoircal essays by leading historians on what would have happened if various world events had either not taken place, or had turned out differently. It's an interesting read so far, and has some application for roleplaying, especially using D20 Modern (or D20 Past or D20 Future as well).

Hey, let me know if you like it, I can lend you the sequel, "What If? 2" (something like that).

Remove ads