What are you reading (May 2005)

Undead Pete

First Post
I'm taking a break from my Warhammer 40K obsession. I picked up the latest Dean Koontz paperback: The Taking, and, surprisingly, I'm liking it. I've had to struggle to get through some of his last couple. After the first chapter, he doesn't put a metaphor into every sentence.

Before that I read Lord of the Night (excellent 40K novel) and the third Space Wolf book: Grey Hunter.

Next up is one of the 40+ 40K books that I recently bought on eBay. I swear it's like virtual crack

Insight

Adventurer
Star Wars is done (that took about a week and I wasn't trying that hard :lol: )

I'm debating about starting The Dead Zone by Stephen King. Anyone here read it and can either recommend it or stop me from wasting my time?

Tolen Mar

First Post
Insight said:
Star Wars is done (that took about a week and I wasn't trying that hard :lol: )

I'm debating about starting The Dead Zone by Stephen King. Anyone here read it and can either recommend it or stop me from wasting my time?

I read it a long..long time ago, but I remember liking it. Of course the recent TV series has very little in common with it, so if thats your motivating factor...

It's not my favorite King book (The Stand and the Shining take those honors), but all in all a good read. As a matter of fact, I remember one scene clearly which has a neat reference to the Shining..look for it. I got a giggle out of it anyway.

Nowadays, tho...Im not so sure I wanna read any Stephen King, even my favs. When I was in high school it was one thing, but now that Im older I cant get past the vulgarity he packs into everything (I mean gore is one thing, but cursing like...like...well let's say Eric's Grandmother would have a fit for sure.) I recently tried to plow through the Dark Tower Series...gave up in Wizard and Glass, just not for me...

Speaking of...Anyone else remember when the Gunslinger came out originally, the preface saying that the Tower was supposed to be 10 books long? All the editions I can get ahold of have the newer intro's in them and don't mention it. I was kinda surprised to see book 7 claim to be the end of the series (and why I tried to read it, now that its done.)

Krug

Newshound
I liked The Dead Zone. The lead character was someone you could relate to and King kept the story moving at a good pace.

MonsterMash

First Post
Currently reading The Confusion by Neal Stephenson, also Mongoose Pocket Modern Handbook to get up to speed on D20 Modern rules and to write a review.

jglamere

First Post
I am currently reading The City of Towers, the first book of the The Dreaming Dark series for Eberron by Keith Baker. I liked the campaign setting book and thought I would at least check out the first novel.

Enjoying it so far. Hopefully I will get the chance to run or play in campaign one of these days...

JoeGKushner

First Post
Just finished reading one of the Terry Brooks Shanara series. I love slow weekends when I'm not playing as it gives me a chance to catch up on my reading. Although to be fair, I did start the first book on Thursday. This is the series where the characters go to another continent looking for some old books of magic.

Really dug the technological aspects of the setting which were a little highlighted here. Something like Illse Witch, Antrax, and Morgarw. Almost reminded me of Star Wars with it's bits of redepmption scattered here and there. Another nice thing is that the author is definatly not afraid to kill off characters. I was shocked at some of the causalties of this round.

Got book one of the next series High Druid of Shanara, but haven't had a chance to crack it open.

Remove ads