What are you reading (May 2005)

IronWolf

blank
New month, new thread!

Let's see, due to real life rearing its head I am off to a slow start. Reading through the 30 Year of D&D coffee table book I borrows and still working my way through Realms of the Dragons....

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Just started Death's Messenger. It is the new book released to coinced with the Warhammer Fantasy Role Play book. So far its and enjoyable easy read.

Rabelais

First Post
Polybius, The Rise of the Roman Empire

Plutarch, Fall of the Roman Republic

Tacitus, Annals of Imperial Rome

Reading for pleasure? I know not of what you speak.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Winston S. Churchill - The Gathering Storm , volume 1 of his brillant 6 volume work on World War II

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files book #4 (as recommended by you good people)

Douglas Adams - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy , read it back in 1981 and decided to pick it up again since the movie came out. It is okay, and downright funny in some parts, but generally it is, IMO, an average read.

Torm

Explorer
Forgotten Realms: The Cleric Quintet. I just started the first book. Then, I'll move on to reread "Mostly Harmless" by Douglas Adams, because another thread reminded me I had forgotten most of the reasons I thought it was horrible. ;)

P0L

Explorer
Notes on quantum and solid state physics - :confused: Exam in 10 days!!!

After that I'm getting whatever book catches my attention from this thread, so please, I want to hear more opinions...

Tolen Mar

First Post
Right now, A Forest of Stars, book 2 of the Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. I hope to get through it and the next one before the 4th comes out in June. I never read any of Andersons work before this. I avoided the Dune prequals, because I just wasnt that impressed with the actual frank herbert series enough to ever finish it. I made it through Dune, and partway through Children of Dune (or was it Dune Messiah?), but otherwise...

I do like his style, though. Last year I tried to read the saga...borrowed it from the library. But he introduced so many characters and locations I gave up till I could buy it. I knew I couldnt read it all in the timeframe the library gave me. Now Im glad I bought them. Itll mean I can re-read them at some point. If I ever do go back to Dune, maybe Ill be more interested in the prequals.

On the block for after the Saga...oddly enough (given the post above) I just bought Wizard for Hire, a 3 book compilation of the dresden files, has the first 3 in it. Plus Harry Potter six is due in July...

Insight

Adventurer
I'm reading the original Star Wars: A New Hope novel. It's not the novelization of the movie, but a novel based on Lucas' original screenplay - apparently before Lucas implemented quite a few changes to some of the characters. It's an interesting read, seeing how things were prior to the 'final cut'. Lucas' name is listed as the author, but it's actually ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster.

Remove ads