What book would you like to see become a movie/mini-series?

Given this question a significant amount of thought, and am plumping for Alan Dean Foster's "Commonweath" novels. Not because they are great literature, but because they are and alternative to Star Wars and Star Trek that is neither grimdark nor hyper-serious. And most importantly, doesn't have a cult following of rabid fans who will object to anything that is remotely different to the novels.
:ROFLMAO:

Ryujin

Legend
Given this question a significant amount of thought, and am plumping for Alan Dean Foster's "Commonweath" novels. Not because they are great literature, but because they are and alternative to Star Wars and Star Trek that is neither grimdark nor hyper-serious. And most importantly, doesn't have a cult following of rabid fans who will object to anything that is remotely different to the novels.

Or you could do the same with Poul Anderson's Technic setting.

Another idea would be Larry Niven's Ringworld. But a very loose adaptation, focusing on the survivors' adventures trying to cross a very very large world with a myriad of different cultures. An episodic structure that would be well suited to steaming TV.
Foster's "Nor Crystal Tears" definitely occurred to me. If memory serves it covers first contact between Humans and the Thranx, from a Thranx point of view. Sounds like a good spot for a pilot. There's even already a theme song, performed by the Canadian group "Strange Advance."

Foster's "Nor Crystal Tears" definitely occurred to me. If memory serves it covers first contact between Humans and the Thranx, from a Thranx point of view. Sounds like a good spot for a pilot. There's even already a theme song, performed by the Canadian group "Strange Advance."

I like Icerigger. A straightforward sci fi action adventure with larger-than-life characters and a subtle environmentalist subtext. With Dwayne Johnson as Skua September. I think one of the attractions of the setting is it doesn't really need to be "set up" at a particular starting point. It just is.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Anyone else familiar with comic book writer Chris Claremont's novels, First Flight, Grounded!, and Sundowner?

If they could get Claremont heavily involved in the project, I think it'd make for some decent watching.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Brian Daley's GammaLAW series - A noble warrior and his clan of badass fighters from a conquered planet are assigned as bodyguards to a diplomat from the galactic empire on her diplomatic mission to another planet.

Lots of political intrigue and combat. Plus, if you cast it similar to the cover art, you could get some really good actors involved...

1666981228437.png

Last edited:

practicalm

Explorer
Bujould's Vorkosigan series would be a lot of fun. There might be too much in Miles head though
not that we need another vampire series but P.N. Elrod's 1920's vampire series would be fun
Michael Flynn's Firestar series would be interesting but For All Mankind might be taking up that space.
Another vote for the Uplift series from Brin.

Remove ads