• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

Tony Vargas

Legend
2) walk away from the table saying "sorry I can't play with this"
I've very rarely seen that level of 'passive aggressive jerk,' even at conventions or among fellow teen geeks back in the day. I wish I could say 'never' but very rarely.
1) try something I may not like see if it grows on me
3) ignore it and just play my own character
I'm sure I'm missing some
let's see:

4) Check with the DM about the nature of the campaign, beforehand. If you don't want to take orders from a superior officer, don't try to get into a campaign where you'll be playing a member of an elite military unit, if you don't want to play a caster don't show up to play the game set in a wizard's school, if you don't like sci-fi mixed in your fantasy, don't play Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (I mean, you could make that mistake in 1980, but today there's no excuse), can't stand Kender, avoid Dragonlance. Doesn't always work, sometimes the DM just leaves out some little thing and springs it on you later, like when the campaign starts out with everyone waking up in a Mind-Flayer slave pen... (and sometimes it's bad enough, like triggering a RL trauma, that walking out is entirely justified).

5) negotiate with the other player(s). If you're playing a Paladin of Vengeance who chose his path because his family were deceived and murdered by diabolist, you might have to talk to a player who wanted to bring in an Infernal Warlock about how your characters might get along, for instance. Or your barbarian may distrust 'brainy majick types' and not want the Wizard casting any spells on him or the GOO Warlock communicating with him telepathically ("Keep tentacles out of Grog's brain!") and you'll have to find some way to reconcile the three of you being allies.

try this:

Ispireing word: if you are inspired XXXX if you are not inspired you can instead get mad and XXXX or feel humiliated and gain XXXX all of the XXXX's are equal to heal 1 HD + cha mod
Or where they're different. Though, I don't know how deciding to be humiliated is supposed to translate into a buff. Inspired, re-gain hps, mad, damage bonus, humiliated, ???

Tony Vargas

Legend
I can see this working very well as a new subclass of druid.
It was a full class in 4e, 3.5, and 2e. Several in 2e, even. Seems like there might be enough Shaman stuff out there to warrant a full 5e class, too.

The problem (I see) with sub-classing druid is that you're stuck with the shapechanging, which is strong enough that it limits what else you can add. And there isn't a precedent for removing base-class features in a sub-class.
"Elfcrusher is right:" ;)
The way sub-classes seem to work gets in the way of implementing past full-class concepts with a mere sub-class. If that precedent were ever set, though, more design space would open up...

Really, the base class Druid should have just been a nature/spirit caster, with ONE sub-class being the shapeshifter.
They tried that in 4e/Essentials+ (split it up into a shape-shifting druid, a healing druid, and a summoning druid) and, IDK, I found it disappointing. The Druid had always had both fairly good, if nature-focused, casting (including not-so-good-as-the-cleric support), and the shapechange ability (and the animal forms available weren't that crazy), but fairly poor melee (and good HD but a level limit). In 5e the Land Druid feels a lot like a classic Druid I enjoyed back in the day. I hate to see it lose the mostly-utility Shapechanging it has, or to see the Moon Druid lose spell access.

ARMR

First Post
While I'm extremely happy how the Eldritch knight was designed, and the fact that it's core makes it even better. I'd love to see something akin to the Duskblade from 3.5, or Maguc from Pathfinder.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think there is a stubborn disconnect here that is, imo, about not talking about basic design concepts.

I, for instance, believe that purpose built classes are inherently better at modeling concepts than finding a way to hack together something with existing mechanics. Because of that, "make a fighter with X" will never be useful to me. Most of the time, comes access as very dismissive, imo.

Others want a small system, as a goal in itself, and that informs how they respond to ideas.

imo, it's a good idea to have a clear dileiation (that avoids any air of one being the real dnd) between two styles of dnd, on small and simple, one full of options. Doing that, you can have full classes that exist only as subclasses in 'basic' or whatever.

Theoretically, that's how 5e already works. So, what is the problem?

While I'm extremely happy how the Eldritch knight was designed, and the fact that it's core makes it even better. I'd love to see something akin to the Duskblade from 3.5, or Maguc from Pathfinder.

My main issue with the EK is how it is usually better on any given turn to just attack with weapons as opposed to using spells to augment your attacks, at will. Luckily, Cantrips like Greenflame Blade should go a long way toward that actual blend of sword and sorcery that I was looking for in the class. I love the Spellcasting, but the slots and slow progression mean that most evocation spells you get are not worth the cast by the time you can actually use them. I'd have preferred they were given Transmutation, to better reinforce the idea of them augmenting themselves to benefit their warrior capabilities, rather than weak ranged damage spells.

But like I said, melee spell Cantrips are going to be a huge leap for how much I like playing the class, personally.

It was a full class in 4e, 3.5, and 2e. Several in 2e, even. Seems like there might be enough Shaman stuff out there to warrant a full 5e class, too.

Three versions I know of in BECM D&D, published in three of the Gazeteeers - two versions of Shaman and a Shamani class that was very similar. Lot of history to the class.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Time for my weekly "Truenamer" campaign.

Truenamers!
Binding fiends!
Fortifying allies!
Stunning enemies!
Knocking down walls!
Granting flight!
Removing ailments!
Transmuting items!
And doing all of that at will!
In reverse too!

Remove ads