• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What D&D 4e Should Learn From World of Warcraft

mxyzplk

Explorer
Calm on down there.

OK, now, there's certainly nothing wrong with looking at other popular things in the fantasy genre and determining what it is that makes people enjoy them, and figuring out "how can I get me some of that!"

The problem is, many of the things 4e seems to be borrowing from WoW aren't really the things that make it great, but instead the things that are design limitations. A simple example is respawning monsters and instanced dungeons. These are a "necessary evil" to make a game work in a massively multiplayer environment. No one wants that in D&D. In my opinion, character roles are similar - necessary in WoW only because you have to put together pick-up groups of the same level on short notice, and there's no such thing as "rolling up a 20th level character", you always have to grind from level 1. With the possible exception of large RPGA events, which are governed by rules that facilitate them, that's not a frequent need in D&D.

But what are the things that make WoW such a runaway hit that D&D 4e *can* learn from? Here's a list that come to mind, in no particular order.

1. Everyone has special abilities to use in combat. 4e is on this track with the "Book of Nine Swords" direction. Other MMORPGs have had much lamer combat - swing, swing, swing - and that's one key reason they're not as popular as WoW. Ah, I fondly remember killing mud crabs just in order to eat in - whatever MMO that has blocked its name mercifully form my mind. Yay powerz.

2. Azeroth is a deep and interesting world. Even for those who weren't into the Warcraft series and don't know anything about the world's history and development, it's at least clear that it's a living, vibrant world that has a realistic feel derived from its evolution over time.
Unfortunately, the 4e direction seems to be away from this. Except for the Basic Set, D&D has shied away from having a setting tied to the core rules, even though alternate campaign settings need a whole raft of new races and rules to make them work. The rules are never setting generic - they prescribe a life for halflings that is different from Dark Sun halflings, for instance - but don't ever make setting specificness work for them.
In my opinion, D&D needs to do the same - whether it's Greyhawk or the new "fallen Empire of Norath" discussed in Races & Classes (well, maybe not that, as lawsuits from Everquest as they own trademark on "Norrath" are inevitable), but something. Having a core setting doesn't make having alternate settings any more difficult than it is now, and at least the products might make some kind of sense together (the fluff in Bo9S versus fluff in other books makes it really hard to credit them being in the same milieu). It worked well for the D&D Basic Set - the Known World (later given the gayer name of Mystara) was fun. Everyone knowing the name of Bargle was cool. In the recent Dungeon Magazine Adventure Paths, people were impressed to meet Tenser. "That's *the* Tenser? Daaaaamn." They're flushing even the little bit of that which remains for "points of light." Bad decision.

3. Instant action. In WoW you can go kick some ass with a moment's notice. 4e will float or sink on this one depending on how much complexity they put into the combat system and how many fiddly modifiers someone has to keep in mind and "but if I move here..." lengthy board-dilemmas they can avoid. Frankly, I enjoyed the old 1e/2e style of very seldom using minis; incorporating them as much as in 3e has slowed down the game and it needs to be sped back up somehow. I've considered using a chess clock on some of these players! Now, they do seem to be on the right track here with simplifying the monsters, and making it so genning stat blocks and writing adventures isn't an exercise in masochism.

4. PvP. Sure, there's non-PvP servers, but everyone knows they're for noobs. This is sticky - I'm not sure the best way to incorporate PvP into D&D. But I have had some relevant D&D experiences - there was one time I was running "Four from Cormyr" in 2e and half the party got turned into vampires; the other half were holed up in a ruin in a swamp that had a chapel undead couldn't enter. We ran a good number of sessions with half the group in each adjacent room trying to get the better of the other. I tell you what, everyone showed up on time and had put a lot of thought into the sessions! I've also frequently used the tactic of bringing in a gamer friend to run a major bad guy in a climactic encounter; having a real dedicated intelligence behind them adds a lot of extra 'zing.' The DM can usually never go as gloves-off because of the complicated group power dynamic.

5. WoW is easy. My 5 year old loves to run her dwarf around the newbie area. I have friends whose wives would never consider playing D&D but they play WoW. The complexity has to be kept down. In WoW the complexity grows but at a rate people can keep up with it. They don't need to plan out their character's level progression from first level (as everyone in my D&D group feels compelled to, to make sure they can get into the right prestige classes etc). Level 1 should be SIMPLE. Heck, even the point buy of stats is stultifying - back in the day people rolled 3d6 down the line and they liked it. It was fast and you didn't need to know much about the game to get started. The toughest chargen decision you have to make in WoW is which class outfit makes your rack look hawtest.

6. People can do what they want to. Some people like to just fish in WoW. Others are obsessed with their crafting skills. The latest crack I heard on a Wizards blog along the lines of Craft/Profession being lame makes me concerned that they "don't get it." Craft/Profession skills should be more useful and fun, not less. It always struck me as ridiculous that they used 'realistic' rules such that it took you a week to craft a sword, but you could toss together a magic item in a day. I want to build something. I want to pimp my armor.

7. Phat lewt. The 3e magic item economy where they're just about "same as cash" makes it very difficult to hand out cool magic, especially if it's not a pure power optimizer. It just gets sold and rendered into a raft of +1 items. WoW has some of this but it's a lot harder to tune MMO treasure to the particular group/characters than it is in D&D. In earlier editions of D&D, people usually had a magic item they were really proud of. Man, that 1e Unearthed Arcana barbarian who got that magic sword from the Forbidden City that could cast Heal once a week - he was hell on wheels. Not so much now, it's a matter of cost optimizing your armor, natural armor, dodge, and deflection bonuses. In WoW, strangers scope you out and compliment you when they see that blue or purple item.

I could probably go on, but those are the biggest ones that come to me. Thoughts?

The Eternal GM

First Post
Some of those points are good ones.

But...

Who wants to gather 4-6 players for a weekly session and then say 'you all go fishing'? Once as a novelty of downtime and rp maybe... More than that? Forget it. Most (not all) groups have a hard time scheduling to get together and will want to do more than fish.

PVP? irrelevant. I don't care a lick for PVP in MMO's, and there's no need or way to add it to 4th ed. D&D has always had PvP. One players goes "I stab the party in their sleep" and you're done. Players can and will turn on each other if that's the way you play. How do you reinforce or support that? Give them awards for killing each other? You could... But D&D already awards you XP and loot for kills, that technically can include party members.

Azeroth is no more deep or interesting than any other fantasy world (rpg, fiction, ccg, MMO or otherwise) to come about in the last 20 years or more. It ain't awful, but there's nothing enuinely novel there. So it's nothing to mimic really. That just sounds like WoW-love from a WoW-fan, apologies in advance if that isn't the case, but I have seen, played and read better.

Since I don't want to come across as an immensely critical b'stard (too late?) I will however entirely agree on the immediacy and ease of play comment. 3.5 (and I've played it since 2002) is damned tough to write for, set up and occasionally run for me. I certainly wouldn't run it for a 5 year old. Basic (red box) D&D I would, have done and would again in a heartbeat. 4th Ed. could do worse than simulate that.

Khairn

First Post
Even though I completely agree with you that there are aspects of WoW (or any fantasy game for that matter) which could have a positive influence on D&D ...

-designing a table top RPG so that the players can grief & kill steal from each other (PVP),
-with a system that takes no thought to play (just keep hitting that hotkey until the mob drops),
-so the players can kill anything and everything that pops in front of them (action on demand)
-all so they can claim Phat Lewt (nuff said)

...will definitely drive me away from the game in a flash.

Rechan

Adventurer
Devyn said:
-designing a table top RPG so that the players can grief & kill steal from each other (PVP)

A fellow here in RL plays a game of "War". Each participant runs a group of 4 characters against the other guy's group. Basically just wargaming.

Khairn

First Post
Rechan said:
A fellow here in RL plays a game of "War". Each participant runs a group of 4 characters against the other guy's group. Basically just wargaming.

Its also called "D&D Mini'".

Phasics

First Post
mxyzplk said:
1. Everyone has special abilities to use in combat.

Your right they do and its a good thing

mxyzplk said:
2. Azeroth is a deep and interesting world.

Deep and interesting and FINITE , WoW may be a well thought out world but alas it is but one teams world and it is finite yes they open new areas but there is no room for any player to expand the world.

Whereas D&D dosent spell everything out for a very good reason, it leave latidue for DM's to slide in thier own creations and ideas without having to make a world from scratch. where you see a loose fitting bunch of core books I see the skeleton of epic gamming.

I dont doubt WoW is a quick fix, but this world has enough quick fix outlets already D&D should and is leaving room for people to acutally engade thier minds and create somthing.

mxyzplk said:
3. Instant action. In WoW you can go kick some ass with a moment's notice.

If you seriously expect a Online Game where the software can calucalte and entire round faster than a DM can wipe his nose to be comparebale to a tabletop dice rolling game then I'm almost lost for words hehehe.

D&D 4e will most likely be plug and play as far as any PnP system goes, the DMG will undoubtedly contain pregen encounteres so a DM can litterally slap down a battle if he so chooses and the flow of battle will most likely be cleaner than pervious iterations but will never approach the speed a computer can achive.

mxyzplk said:
4. PvP. Sure, there's non-PvP servers, but everyone knows they're for noobs.

D&D has PvP however not in the sense that you want. The DM is a player your pitting your wits against his, every monster group you face is the DM v Players

Players within a adventuring group could potenially have a duel PvP but there would not be malice invloved as why do you want to kill somone you've been adventuring with for 3 months ? remember D&D is roleplaying

You can roleplay a charcter looking to undermine corrupt or even kill another player with or without thier consent but dont be surprised when you spring you little secret ending another player charcters life abrutly before they wanted it not to have a lasting effect.

ASk yourself why do you want to PvP ? is it simply to beat another human ? if so how many times will that person in your gamming group let you beat him and his charcter before he is no longer having fun ? My guess would be the first time would be the last time and could easily cost you that gamer no longer wanting to play.

mxyzplk said:
5. WoW is easy. My 5 year old loves to run her dwarf around the newbie area.

Your right WoW is easy its point and shoot. D&D has never been considered "Easy" nor should it ever be, D&D should never appeal to the lowest common denominator why ? Firstly they'd lose the fans who enjoy using thier brains and second the people who like it becuase its easy will quickly move on to the next easy shiny thing they see.

D&D was not meant to be easy it was meant to be logical so that anyone who has the ability to solve a problem should be able to understand the system and use it. D&D mechanics are a tool or arbitary rules used to bascailly settle a dispute between a DM and a player

Player: "I try to convince the barkeep to lower the price of the room"
DM: "what reason do you give that he should lower the price ?"
Player "I say I'll take my buisness eslewhere since there are better places up the road"
Dice Rolls
DM: "It appears you've convinced the barkeep to lower the price of the room"

The game mechanics allow fate to decide the result with charcter modifer influcencing the chances of it happening.

If you want an easy game of D&D simply tell you DM to do decide what he think the result will be, put your dice and charcter sheets away and simply roleplay a campagin describing battles instead of dice rolling them, with the DM getting the final say in everything.

mxyzplk said:
6. People can do what they want to. Some people like to just fish in WoW. Others are obsessed with their crafting skills.

People in D&D can tie thier boots, climb a tree, scratch a rock or take a dump in the sand if they like while people in WoW have no freedom form the game engine.

People can craft in D&D follwoing the rules I'm sure crafting would take time as it should.

If that Dwarf want to craft a new shield but the rest of the group dosent well he's welcome to go build it for a month and control a stand in charcter until the time is up
OR
If the party is in agreement they may all disperse for a month have thier own little adventure which they represent as a story after talking with the DM and reform the group a month later with the newly crafted item spending maybe 10-30mins descrbiing thier time apart.

Again it is the flexibilty of D&D that allows DM to do this and not hard cut rules, as each RL gamming group is different
Scott Player: I cant make it to the next 2 session guys I'm goign overseas
George DM: No prob scott you charcter can take a 2 week trip back to his village and see his folks too
Scott Player: While I'm there can I craft a new sword with the help of my blacksmith father
Geroge DM: Sure mate we'll see if you succeeded when you get back, might even give you a bonus to the check since you father will be helping you out.
Scott Player: sweet

mxyzplk said:
7. Phat lewt.

Already mentioned in 4e info its being very tempered , Phat loot will now be rare and worthwhile holding on to. In fact chances are there always be several items of normal equipment you'd be looking to swap for magical gear. I seriosuly doubt if anyone would sell any magical loot before level 10 and I also doubt that somone at level 10 would have more than a handful of magic items. Also the bonues they give while useful will be drawfed in comparison to your class abilities.

YEA! for wildshaping druids !!!!!

ruleslawyer

You make some excellent points (specifically #1 and #3), and I agree with most of them! However...

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture that not all of these things are particularly applicable to a PnP RPG.
mxyzplk said:
Azeroth is a deep and interesting world. Even for those who weren't into the Warcraft series and don't know anything about the world's history and development, it's at least clear that it's a living, vibrant world that has a realistic feel derived from its evolution over time.
Azeroth's not bad, but D&D has already done much, much better for three simple reasons:

1) It can have any setting you like, whether right out of a book or film, published by some other dude, or ripped straight from your brain;

2) You can mix, match, and combine elements from anything on the go; and

3) Certain given universes (Planescape, FR, etc.) have *far* more depth than Azeroth.

IMO, Azeroth's appeal stems strongly from its visual elements. Those aren't replicable in a PnP game setting. On the flip side, FR has fictional tavern menus, tiny bits of lore strewn in dozens of sourcebooks, random little historical details, and thousands of other bits that make the world *seem* infinite, even if it's only as big as the players' own exploration of it. That's the greatness of something contained in dozens of books.

Please note. I'm not slamming on video games or computer games for being "shallow," or arguing that the (MMO)CRPG experience is somehow limiting. I am saying that if you're going to pick a lesson that D&D needs to learn from WoW, it isn't campaign setting development. I *always* thought that D&D was lucky not to have an intrusive default setting, and the existence of countless Elric-, Aragorn-, and Merlin-clones back in the game's heyday seems to support that point. If anything, I'd rather the game provided more examples from outside its own IP for inspiration to DMs and players.
WoW is easy.
This is an interesting one. I've never actually felt that D&D was all that complicated, but then I don't play to character-optimize. Whenever I have played ANY CRPG and pushed to optimize my character (and I usually do, because I'm playing with the computer as GM and it ain't going to be as forgiving) I find it pretty grueling. This problem is heightened by the existence of
PvP. Sure, there's non-PvP servers, but everyone knows they're for noobs.
No. Oh god please no. This is, again, one of D&D's strengths: The fact that the storyteller is also the brain behind all of your enemies, and the fact that your fellow players are there to be your allies. In a game that features as much in-character roleplaying as D&D does (and I know I'll be leaped on as some kind of amateur-drama freak, but the fact is that I've seen far more serious characterization and immersive dialogue in tabletop games than in WoW, at least, where most conversations seem to be about tactics), PvP IMO detracts from the experience unless it's something that comes up organically.
People can do what they want to. Some people like to just fish in WoW.
People can do this in D&D, easily. In fact, you can do anything you like in D&D, really. Want to spend five weeks touring the brothels of the city of Rel Astra? Go to it. Hankering for the tinker gnomes to rig you up an improvised harness so you can go hang-gliding off the Spine of the World? Sure. Feel like dressing up in drag and picking up drunken orc bandits in the taverns of the Pomarj? All you, baby.

As to why rules for this stuff should exist: Well, people need "rules" for this in MMOs because otherwise, the AI couldn't support it. The designers' philosophy for 4e appears to be (IMO, wisely) that DM handwaving is exactly how these sorts of things should be adjudicated. Honestly, most adventurers shouldn't be making their own gear anyway; the great dwarven smiths of Rockhome or the mighty high elf craftsmen of Eriador should be doing that work.

Your last point is interesting; I don't quite get it. Is the issue that the role of magic items in determining sheer mechanical stats is being de-emphasized in 4e? Or that the DM doesn't get enough NPCs to say "Egad! You've found the Fanged Shield of Shyk Korort? Methought that was lost in the bowels of the lair of the Great Wyrm Irylkargathra"?

Remove ads