• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What defines D&D ?

Mkhaiwati

First Post
The problem, there, is that a system like Rolemaster meets all those criteria. But most people would agree that Rolemaster is not D&D.

The game shouldn't be *about* the system, but I think the system matters to the way the game plays and feels, and D&D has a history and certain "traditions" and "philosophies" in its system, as well as in its fluff. It's not a black-and-white, cut and dried issue, of course. There's plenty of wiggle room.

Nailed it, with this post and the previous one you had. I was going to use the Rolemaster example also.

Fluff means a lot, also, but that can change with the gameworld, too. The default fluff has changed in 4e, and for those who want devils, demons, and the rest to be specific entities from particular planes, well, I can understand why it wouldn't feel like D&D. Doesn't mean as much to me, but I can understand why it would to others.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Most good points have been made already, but I'd add one to the list:

- Classes
- Levels
- Hit Points
- Ability Scores (with cascading benefits)
- Spells (or magic effects if not using Vancian casting)
- Magic Items: it's not D&D if you can't find a Holy Avenger, a Bag of Holding, or a Rod of Lordly Might.

Cheers, -- N

Greg K

Legend
The problem, there, is that a system like Rolemaster meets all those criteria. But most people would agree that Rolemaster is not D&D.

For myself, that is only because RM doesn't officially have beholders, drow, mindflayers, Demogorgon (and the other demon princes), and Asmodeus (and the other arch-devils). It also lacks the words Dungeons and Dragons on the book covers.

Weregrognard

First Post
"Dungeons & Dragons, D&D, d20, d20 System, WIZARDS OF THE COAST, Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual, D&D Insider, all other Wizards of the Coast product names, and their respective logos are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast in the U.S.A. and other countries."

;)

Nailed it, with this post and the previous one you had. I was going to use the Rolemaster example also.

Fluff means a lot, also, but that can change with the gameworld, too. The default fluff has changed in 4e, and for those who want devils, demons, and the rest to be specific entities from particular planes, well, I can understand why it wouldn't feel like D&D. Doesn't mean as much to me, but I can understand why it would to others.

The problem with using setting elements is that D&D has several settings. Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms might be close, but what's with Dark Sun, Al Quadim, Spelljammer and what else exists?

Urbannen

First Post
Although I've never played in Greyhawk and never played AD&D until the mid-90's, I'm of the opinion that Dungeons and Dragons is the RPG system that was created to portray the Greyhawk fantasy setting.

I read through the Greyhawk gazetteer a few years ago, and only there are the Dungeons & Dragons classes and conventions truly integral parts of the setting. (IMO of course.) Ever read through the spell names in AD&D and 3E? Those wizards are real characters in Greyhawk.

Everywhere else Greyhawk mechanics and conventions have been tacked onto another fantasy setting that might have been better with a different system altogether (I include FR in this).

I am leaving out 4E and Basic D&D entirely, but that's what I think.

Mkhaiwati

First Post
The problem with using setting elements is that D&D has several settings. Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms might be close, but what's with Dark Sun, Al Quadim, Spelljammer and what else exists?

Yes, I can see your point. But the default has changed, along with Forgotten Realms and presumably Greyhawk and the others if they get printed. The default fluff was changed.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Many people have said that "4E is not D&D" and this has been hotly debated. So i ask the community the following question: What is D&D? What defines it? What sets it apart from other FRPGs?

Here's another way to think about the question - why do you want to know?

I'm serious there - a good deal of the answer to a question can be found in why you ask it. What is the purpose of defining what D&D is and is not? What do you expect to gain from doing so? What utility will having the definition bring you?

Answer those, first, and then you'll have a better grasp on the actual question.

rkwoodard

First Post
The brand name

To me, D&D is whatever game (legally) has D&D on the cover. I will never say "That is not D&D", If I play 4th edition and really do not like it (rules or feel), I will not say "I hate that , It was not D&D" I will say "I really hate this version".
On the flip side, If you tell me that you play D&D, I am going to assume that you are referring to the latest edition. If I realize you are not, I will not say "You are not playing D&D". To me you are playing _________edition, but that is great.

Yes, I like 4th edition, but if another company had put it out as XY Fantasy RPG, I would probably not have bought it.

RK

PS, for the record I am 41 and have been playing since '79

Remove ads