• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What defines D&D ?

Jonathan Drain

First Post
I have to agree with the idea that D&D is whatever you've learned it as.

Consider this hypothetical situation. You grew up playing D&D as a monster-bashing game, but never used the trap rules. Now a new edition comes out and it removes traps. Is it still D&D?

If you never played with traps, then it's still D&D. If you did, they've just cut a significant proportion of the gameplay and created something that's not the game as you know it. You can either accept that this is a new and different form of the game, or decide it's not for you and stick with the old edition.

Bump2daWiza

First Post
-Vancian Magic
-Classes (with fighter, wizards, thief, and cleric being the most vital)
-Races (with Human, elf dwarf, halfling, half-elf and gnome being the most vital)
-Levels (having attacks that improve as you increasein level)
-Fantasy Monsters, settings, and flavor

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
For me, D&D has always been defined by belief. If - by game mechanics, background, marketing, branding or whatever - a sizable portion of the people who define themselves as "D&D players" believe that a game system is D&D then it IS D&D.

So, if you get enough people to believe that Rolemaster IS D&D, then, well, it is. There are enough RPGs out there that are damn similar already. All that is lacking is the belief of those who play D&D.

Or to put it simple: Soyl... ah, D&D is made of people. :p

Lackhand

First Post
I bet Plato would love having a beer and a chat with you. :)

In the spirit of this concept, I propose we all start a "sewer rat is pumpkin pie" movement, just for the hell of it.

They do taste similar... have a similar consistency... and wind up in the same environments...

or is that violating the no religion rule? :)

noretoc

First Post
But in the end, is it really important to define what D&D is? Isn't it more important figuring out what you want _like_? (and maybe why so? Nostalgia? Playability game system? "Realistic" feeling? Focus on combat & action? Rolling high or low?)

Since that is the purpose of this thread, I would would say yes, to the OP it is important.

Remove ads