What DO you DO for... Clerics?

Nyaricus

First Post
Dogmoon requested me to continue these What DO you DO threads, so folks here's the next installment.

Well, the last two threads are perhaps lost to the annals of history (although I am planning to do a take-two sometime in the future), which leaves us with the pressing question of what you do for clerics.

Well, is it something as simple as using some of the other domains in the Spell Compendium or are you like me and you've completely (or plan to) redone the Cleric over?

What DO you DO?

[sblock=Other What DO you DO Threads]
What DO you DO for Bards and Barbarians were lost in the Crash and will be restarted after we get through to the Wizard class. Thanks for your patience.

What DO you DO for... Clerics?
Part 3 of my House Ruled Classes Series

What DO you DO for... Druids?
Part 4 of my House Ruled Classes Series

What DO you DO for... Fighters?
Part 5 of my House Ruled Classes Series

What Do you Do for... Monks?
Part 6 of my House Ruled Classes Series
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I've renamed Clerics to Templars (ie Knights of the Temple) emphasising their militant aspects. On the fluff side Clerics are all low ranking members of religious orders attached to temples and lead by Paladins.

The religious aspects are attended to by the Priest are homebrew class which bears no resembalnce to the cleric

Priests have the abilities to Speak the Words of the divine to effect people, beasts, spirits and even objects
Word of Authority - the ability compel others, to inspire, to calm the masses, to command, to rebuke (includes turn undead/spirits etc)
Word of Knowledge/Wisdom - the ability to discerne and to understand with divine insight, visions, knowledge of tongues and detection of the unseen
Word of Power the ability to speak Blessings upon others, to sanctify and also to Curse, to Heal or to Wound, to give stength (buff) or to take it away
Domain - the divine boon given to the Priest to evoke and channel the power of their god

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Hrm. Well, I haven't actually thought about changing them until just this moment, but my changes aren't going to be very big. Essentially, they're going to deal more with what their Deity deals with. So the Goddess of Plants, the God of War, and the God of Civilization aren't all going to Turn/Rebuke Undead because those aren't their greatest enemies [on a side note, I've already done the same for Paladins].

Btw, were you going to put these into a .pdf? Guess I should search the caches for the first two, unless someone already has them.

Edit: Bah, could only find the second page of the barbarian one, which is like the last 4 posts of 44...

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
For actual D&D (well, the closest I get to that), Clerics have been Templars for quite some time - basically the same class though, only without Heavy Armour Proficiency, with a few domain powers altered, and with a few extra options for different 'builds' (swapping out some things, and some others in).

Then there's the Priest, which is basically the Cloistered Cleric from Unearthed Arcana (or the online SRD - either way).

For other types of d20/OGL games, I have a number of 3rd-party classes, homebrewn variants and 'new' classes that are somewhat related to the Cleric I guess, but probably not closely enough to warrant mentioning individually here.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Below I have re-posted my rules for "Priests" (which replace both clerics AND druids):

You can read about all the specific types I have worked out by check out the Classes Page of the Aquerra.wiki
--------------------------

The Priest Class
The Priest class completely replaces the Cleric and Druid classes as described in PHB v.3.5, and represents the greatest change in an Aquerra campaign from the core rules.

Each god (or set of gods) has its own variant priest class with its own abilities, spell list, powers, and limitations.

Below are some of the basic changes to the class, and a explanation of the format used to detail the specific priest classes.

There are two basic kinds of priests. Druids/Changers and Clerics.

[*] Druids/Changers are more based on the druid class, and are priests that eventually learn to take the form of animals sacred to their god by means of the wildshape ability.
[*] Clerics/Channelers are more traditional priests which can channel energy (positive or negative), which is most often used to turn/rebuke/control undead, but not all priests have power over undead, using the energy from other uses. Some can do both.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alignment: Typically priests must be the same alignment as their god, however, some priesthoods are allowed more leeway in their alignment. If at any time a priest's alignment changes to one not allowed to the priesthood, he or she becomes an ex-priest.

Racial Restrictions: As different gods serve the worshipping needs of different races, there was usually racial limitations of some kind on who can join a priesthood and serve the god. However, exceptions are sometimes possible (consult your DM).

Multi-Class Restrictions: Often times a great amount of focus and dedication are asked of those who would join a priesthood, limiting how much time, study and training a priest can dedicate to another class. There are four kinds of possible restrictions.
  • None: The character may multi-class freely with any other class allowed to the priesthood (see Allowed Multi-Class Combinations below).
  • Parity: The character's priest level must always be at least equal to the combination of any other classes the character has adopted. If the character joins the priesthood after already having two or more levels one of more classes, he may bot advance in those other classes until doing so would not bring the combination of other class levels higher than priest level. For example, a character who is fighter 3, rogue 2 that joins a priesthood with this restriction would not be able to advance in fighter or rogue until after achieiving 6th level in his priest class.
  • Dominance: The character's priest class must always be at least one level above the combination of any other classes.
  • Absolute : Upon gaining his first level in this priest class he may never again advance in any other class, or else become an ex-priest.
Note: Some priesthoods may have one kind of restriction for some class combinations and a different one for another.

Allowed Multi-Class Combinations: This is the list of classes the character is allowed to advance in once joining the priesthood. If there are any restrictions on which classes the character was allowed to have levels in when adopting the priest class they will be listed here as well. It is important to note, that unless a character becomes an ex-priest, he is expected to follow all the guidelines, taboos, ethos and restrictions of the priesthood no matter what the combination of class and levels might be.

Weapons Proficiencies: Any and all weapon proficiences the character gains for taking levels in this class are listed here. In addition, any restrictions on weapons members of the priesthood may use or learn to use will be listed here as well. Any such restrictions are followed regardless of any other class levels the character may have.

Preferred Weapon: This is the weapon preferred by the god and/or priesthood. When casting the spell Spiritual Weapon, it always takes the form of this weapon.

Armor Proficiencies: Any and all armor proficiences the character gains for taking levels in this class are listed here. In addition, any restrictions on armor members of the priesthood may use or learn to use will be listed here as well. Any such restrictions are followed regardless of any other class levels the character may have.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (3 + Int modifier) x 4. Most of the priest classes grant 3 skill points as their base, though a few grant more, and even fewer grant less.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 3 + Int modifier. Most of the priest classes grant 3 skill points at each level, though a few grant more, and even fewer grant less.

Class Skills: Each priesthood has its own list of class skills based on the portfolio of the god and the role the priesthood plays.

Domains: These are the domains the priest may choose from. Most often there is one domain all members of the priesthood must take and they can choose other from a list of two or three. Sometimes, the priest may simply choose two from a list of three or four. It is important to note that in Aquerra priests do not gain the domain power listed with each domain in PHB v.3.5. In addition, most of the domains have been changed (if some only slightly) from those listed in PHB v.3.5. Spells from the domain lists may only be prepared as a domain spell unless it also appears on the specific priest class' spell list.

Spontaneous Casting: Many gods allow their priests to spontaneously exchange a prepared spell for a spell of equal or lower level from one of their specific domains. This takes no extra time to accomplish, but may only be done once per day for each spell level. Also, a spell gained as a domain spell may not be traded out in this fashion. Generally, it is priesthoods designated as warrior-priests (like Militants of Anhur) that do not gain this ability.

Spell Lists: Each priesthood has its own spell list based on the god's portfolio and the priesthood's role in the world. Note that the same spell can be two different levels on two different spell lists, and a spell might be one level on a domain list and another level on the main spell list. Unlike what is listed under cleric in PHB v.3.5, priests do not automatically gain the ability to trade out prepare spells to spontaeously cast healing spells. (see Granted Powers below).

Time of Prayer: Priests must pray for/prepare spells within one hour before and after the time listed here. Preparing spells requires one hour regardless of the number of spells being prepared when done at this time, otherwise it takes 10 minutes per spell level per spell to prepare a priest spell in a spell slot left open. Once prepared, priests may not change a spell in a slot except at the normal prayer time.

Powers/Abilities: All priesthoods gain some form of granted power in addition to their spell casting ability. For priests, these granted powers usually break down to two minor powers, and one moderate or greater ability that functions by using up a turn undead attempt (called channeling). Most of the time, activating a power that works through the channeling of positive (or negative) energy is a standard action and required brandishing of your god's holy symbol, but occasionally channeling is used to augment an attack or spell, in which case it is done as a simultaneous action with the action it augments, and the holy symbol need only be worn, not brandished. The individual priesthood character entries mention which it is. Druids/Changers get a wider variety of powers spread out over their level advancement, most of which are related to their ability to change shape.

Restrictions/Taboos: These are the priesthood’s limits as determined by custom, god’s power, portfolio and the priest’s race or level. Limits can range from being unable to turn undead, to a very strict code of behavior, or something technical, like a level limit. Priests that violate these strictures may lose access to some or all of their spells and/or granted powers until they atone. Flagerant or repeated violation may lead to the character becoming an ex-priest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ex-Priests
A priest that repeatedly or flagrantly violates a lesser restriction, or who violates one of the greater tenets of his church becomes an ex-priest. An ex-priest loses all access to spell-casting and all granted powers. He may not advance further as a priest. In some rare cases, a priest may atone and regain, if not his position in the church, then at least his standing with his god. These priests are called pariahs.

Occasionally, an ex-priest can adopt a new god more in line with his new point of view, but such things usually require a great quest and/or sacrifice to prove service to the new god and church.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
They're spontaneous WIS+CHA-- like the Favored Soul in reverse-- casters. They pick a primary domain and four secondary domains at first level, with one spell per level automatically coming from their primary domain and half their spells known coming from their secondary domains.

They get to pick an extra domain power, from their chosen domains, at 6th, 11th, and 16th class levels.

In return for all this raw power, their HD drops to d6, they have Poor BAB, and they have to deal with ASF like Wizards and Sorcerors do.

Aaron L

Hero
I only use Clerics for one religion, the militant mystic knights of the church. The true priests of the religion are Experts and Archivists.

Other religions use Shugenja, Druids, Ardents, Divine Minds, and even Sorcerers as priests.

Clerics only serve one religion in my world, but then again I dont use the typical D&D polytheistic/polypantheonic religious setup with multiple omnipotent gods, either.

Nyaricus

First Post
Dog Moon said:
Btw, were you going to put these into a .pdf? Guess I should search the caches for the first two, unless someone already has them.

Edit: Bah, could only find the second page of the barbarian one, which is like the last 4 posts of 44...
I had the same results :\

I said it before - I am planning to make a pdf - but we'll have to re-do the barbarian and bard threads. Alas, but what can one do?

ruleslawyer

Reasonably priesthood-specific clerics (although, for my new IH campaign, there ARE no clerics; "clerics" are just arcanists with Initiate feats that allow them access to deity-specific spells). My cleric may bear suspicious resemblance to another d20 class of your acquaintance... ;)

Da basics for D&D:

HD: d6
Skills (4 + Int modifier points/level): Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (none), and Spellcraft (Int).

Patron Deities and Class Skills: A cleric who chooses a particular patron deity may add a skill or skill to the cleric class skills listed above. See Deities for more information.

BAB: Poor
Saves: Good Fort & Will, Poor Ref

Spells: As normal but with no "+1" bonus domain spells

Class Features
1st: Channel energy (1d8+level), divine feat pool, granted power
2nd: Divine gift (lesser)
3rd: -
4th: Channel energy (2d8+level)
5th: Granted power
6th: -
7th: Channel energy (3d8+level)
8th: -
9th: -
10th: Channel energy (4d8+level), granted power
11th:-
12th: Divine gift (greater)
13th: Channel energy (6d8+level)
14th: -
15th: Granted power
16th: Channel energy (8d8+level)
17th: -
18th: -
19th: Channel energy (10d8+level)
20th: Granted power

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Clerics are proficient with all simple weapons, with their deity's favored weapon, and with light armor.

Aura (Ex): A cleric of a chaotic, evil, good, or lawful deity has a particularly powerful aura corresponding to the deity’s alignment (see the detect evil spell for details).

Spells: A cleric has access to all spells with the universal descriptor [AE/AU simple spells: assume these are the basic sorts of spells], and all spells with the descriptors corresponding to the domains listed for his patron deity. However, his alignment may restrict him from casting certain spells opposed to his moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below.

Additionally, good clerics (and neutral clerics of good deities) treat complex spells with the positive energy descriptor as if they were simple spells, and evil clerics (and neutral clerics of evil deities) treat complex spells with the negative energy descriptor as if they were simple spells. A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil must choose whether to gain this preferential access to spells with the positive energy descriptor, or those with the negative energy descriptor. Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric channels positive or negative energy (see below).

A cleric’s spells have only mental and verbal components, which imposes no spell failure chance due to armor. To ready or cast a spell, a cleric must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the cleric’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a cleric can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell slot allotment is given on Table: The Cleric. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score.

Clerics meditate or pray for their spells. Each cleric must choose a time at which he must spend 1 hour each day in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain his daily allotment of spell slots. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a cleric can regain spell slots. A cleric may only change his allotment of readied spells during his daily meditation.
Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: In order to cast a spell with an alignment descriptor (chaos, evil, good, or law), a cleric or his deity must have the alignment component associated with the spell in question.

Channel Energy (Sp): A cleric can call upon either positive energy or negative energy and bestow that energy upon himself or another creature. With a touch, a good cleric can heal 1d8 hit points + his level a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom bonus; clerics with no Wisdom bonus can use this ability once per week. Likewise, an evil cleric can inflict the same amount of damage.

At 4th level, the amount of healing (or damage) increases to 2d8 points + the cleric’s level and continues to increase every three levels thereafter: 7th level 3d8 + level, 10th level 4d8 + level, 13th level 6d8 +level, 16th level 8d8 + level, and 19th level 10d8 + level. These changes increase the amount of healing, not the number of times used. For example, if a cleric has a Wisdom bonus of +3, when he is 1st level, he can infuse someone with life three times per day, each time healing 1d8+1 points. At 4th level, he can still heal only three times per day, but each time now heals 2d8+4 points of damage.

Divine Feat Pool: At 1st level, a cleric gets a divine feat pool, which he can use to power various abilities granted by taking the appropriate feats. The pool contains a number of divine tokens equal to 3 + the cleric's Charisma modifier. This number of tokens can be increased by taking the Extra Divine Tokens feat. A cleric's token pool refreshes after a night's rest and meditation.

Granted Power: At 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th, and 25th level, the cleric gains a special power granted by his deity. These powers depend on the cleric's choice of patron deity.

Divine Gift (Su): Once per day, a 2nd-level or higher cleric can use his connection with the divine to draw on the power of his deity and infuse it within himself. He must be touching his holy symbol or something associated with his deity's portfolio to activate this ability. He gains a divine bonus equal to half his level. The cleric can add this bonus to any d20 roll he makes in the following round. He can impart this gift to an ally he touches during the following round (the ally must use the bonus in that round). He can even divide the bonus among up to five allies that he can reach during the round, giving each a portion of the bonus as he decides. Thus, a 10th-level cleric could grant a +2 bonus to two allies and a +1 bonus to another.

Starting at 12th level, the gift’s divine bonus lasts 1 round per four cleric levels (maximum 5 rounds). Thus, an 18th-level cleric could grant a 4-round divine bonus of +9 to one ally (or himself), or +3 to three allies, or +5 to one ally and +1 to four others. Each round, those granted the gift can use the bonus on any one d20 roll of their choosing.

Bonus Languages: A cleric’s bonus language options include Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal (the languages of good, chaotic evil, and lawful evil outsiders, respectively). These choices are in addition to the bonus languages available to the character because of his race.

Ex-Clerics
A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).

A Sample Deity: Bane, the Black Lord (FR)

Cleric Title: Dreadmaster

Domains: Charm, Destruction, Evil, Law, Strength, Suffering

Additional Skills: Gather Information

Favored Weapon: Morningstar

Granted Powers:

* 1st level: Insidious Insight (Ex). Dreadmasters gain +2 to Gather Information and Sense Motive checks.

* 5th level: Dominating Aura (Su). A dreadmaster is immune to fear effects (magical or otherwise). Enemies within 20 feet + 10 feet/5 levels of a dreadmaster suffer a -4 morale penalty on saving throws against fear effects.

* 10th level: Enhanced Leadership. Free Leadership feat or +4 bonus to Leadership score. A dreadmaster does not suffer the -2 cumulative Leadership penalty for causing the death of a cohort for one cohort per each dreadmaster level above 10th (up to a total of five dead cohorts at 10th level).

* 15th level: Fanatical Loyalty. Followers and cohorts of the dreadmaster become fanatically loyal to the dreadmaster; only Bane himself can inspire greater loyalty in them. They will not balk at life-threatening actions or actions that would normally lie outside their moral compunctions and normal behavior if the dreadmaster asks them to perform such actions. Spells that the dreadmaster has cast upon his cohorts that normally grant a saving throw or saving throw bonus if the subject is asked to take a life-threatening actions or actions contrary to her nature do not do so if the subject is fanatically loyal to the dreadmaster.

* 20th level: Additional Cohort. The dreadmaster attracts a special cohort in addition to any cohort already gained. If a leader loses this special cohort, he can generally replace it, according to his current Leadership score. It takes time (1d4 months) to recruit a replacement. Because of the lawful nature of Bane, special cohorts who are mutually inimical by type, alignment, or nature will not be attracted to the same dreadmaster. Dungeon Masters can use the "Example Dreadmaster Special Cohorts" table to select special cohorts gained through this ability, or select cohorts of their own choosing or crafting.

Creature Alignment Cohort Level Equivalent
Doppleganger Neutral 6th
Helmed horror Neutral 13th
Gouger (beholderkin) Neutral Evil 14th
Death kiss (beholder kin) Neutral Evil 16th
Baneguard Lawful Evil 5th
Banedead Lawful Evil 6th
Hell hound Lawful Evil 6th
Displacer beast Lawful Evil 7th
Imp Lawful Evil 7th
Banelar Lawful Evil 9th

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
For those who envision clerics as Templars... what domains would you allow? I'm thinking War and either Law or Good. Not much customization, though.

What customization options would you give to a cleric Templar?

Remove ads