• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you DO for... Fighters?

Shades of Green

First Post
I'm thinking about giving Fighters 3 skills (+ INT Bonus) per level instead of 2 (+ INt Bonus). The rationale for this is to allow for greater non-combat usefulness and flavour for the fighter, for example encouraging the use of Craft or Profession skills by fighters.

Psion

Adventurer
Directly? Nothing, yet.

If I ever allow warblade, they will be hit with a nerf bat (d10 HD, no access to fighter feats.)

Destil

Explorer
I've allowed fighters bonus special options at high levels like a rogue, something better than a feat. Many of these were plundered from this board, so thanks all around:

On attaining 10th level, and at every three levels thereafter (13th, 16th, and 19th), a fighter gains a special ability of his choice from among the following options.

Mettle: With mettle, a fighter can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great strength of body. If he makes a successful Fortitude saving throw against an attack that has a reduced effect on a successful save, he instead takes no effect.
Weapon Master: A fighter with weapon master may spend shift his feats to match a different type of weapon to that he has trained with. He must spend one hour praticing with the new type of weapon, at which point the feats are changed. The applicable feats are Weapon Focus, Exotic Weapon Prof., Improved Critical, Weapon Specialization & Armor Specialization as well as all dependent feats such as Greater Armor Specialization.
For example, a weapon master with Weapon Focus (longsword) discoveres a magical battleaxe. He spends one hour praticing with the axe, after which he now Weapon Focus(battleaxe) instead of (longsword). This lasts until he again chooses to change the feat.
Master of Defense (Ex): The fighter has mastered defensive techniques that make him very difficult to harm when he goes on the defensive. When fighting defensively or using the Expertise feat, the guardian gains an additional +1 dodge bonus to AC, and the attack penalty he suffers may by switched to a penalty on all damage rolls. When taking the total defense action, the guardian gains a +2 dodge bonus to AC in addition to that granted by the total defense action itself. When the guardian uses a shield, or when they wield a weapon in their primary hand and another in their off-hand (or simply a double weapon held in two hands), they gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC.
Slippery Mind (Ex): This ability represents the fighter’s ability to wriggle free from magical effects that would otherwise control or compel him. If a fighter with slippery mind is affected by an enchantment spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on her saving throw.
Critical Accuracy (Ex): A fighter with this ability has develop greate skill at aiming their strikes against vital areas of their opponents, gaining a +4 bonus to rolls to confirm critical hits.
Pole-arm Mastery (Ex): A fighter with this ability may strike an opponent with the haft of a reach weapon. This allows him to threaten his normal threatened area as well as the reach of the weapon, a strike with the haft deals 1d6 damage (1d4 for meidum weapons). In addition the fighter ignores any cover provided by allies when wielding a reach weapon.
Tenacity (Ex): The fighter can stagger on through a potentially lethal blow to take less damage from it than he otherwise would. Once per day, when he would be reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), the fighter can attempt to shrug off some of the damage. To use this ability, the fighter must attempt a Fortitude saving throw (DC = damage dealt). If the save succeeds, he takes only half damage from the blow; if it fails, he takes full damage. Since this effect would not normally allow a character to make a Reflex save for half damage, a fighter's mettle ability does not apply to the save.
Bonus feat: A fighter may select a feat instead of a special ability.

Also note the Armor Specialization and Greater Armor Specialization feats (+1 and +2 to AC with one type of armor, does not apply if denied dex bonus).

I've been thinking about allowing mettle at 5th for instance and make improved the special, but I'm still uncertian...

Shades of Green

First Post
I'm thinking about the following fix for the Fighter's dead levels:

The Fighter gets bonus feats at the following levels: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20. In addition he gets the normal feats (every 3 levels) as any other class.

The result? One feat per level, except for level 1 in which he gets 2 feats (or 3 if he's a Human). This is three more feats than usual - would that be unbalancing?

arnon

Explorer
I'm contemplating the following:

1. Fighter may choose her good save.
2. 4 + INT skill points
3. Additional Skills: Craft, Proffession,

and something i saw here perhaps...

4. Exchange automatic armor feat at 1st level for 2 more class skills a piece.

awayfarer

First Post
For my upcoming Eberron campaign, I've given fighters all of their "Fighter-only" fights for free, along with improved critical and weapon focus, at the levels they would normally recieve them. Feels a little silly to restrict something to only one class and not just give it to them. Furthermore, I removed the abiliyt to take fighter-only feats from the warblade.

This also makes the 8th level of the class pretty powerful, with Imp. Crit, Weapon Mastery and Greater Weapon Focus. I think this encourages someone to stick with the class past lvl 2 though.

One minor thing, I added Knowledge:History, Balance and Tumble to class skills.

Quartz

Hero
I'm not sure that there's anything that needs doing to the fighter that can't be cured with some judicious multiclassing. Need skills? Take levels in Ranger or Rogue. Need to be a more disciplined warrior? Take levels in Monk. Want to be a warrior with divine backing without spells? Take a few levels in Paladin. Etc.

One thing I do for all characters is have the concept of character skills. Character skills are all the skills the character has had as class skills in which the character has invested at least one skill point. Character skills are purchased at 1 rank per SP, no matter the current class.

Multi-classing to classes without full BAB progression can really kick Fighters at Epic levels, though. I previously thought that Epic Prowess was a way around this, but I've been corrected. It actually affects all Epic characters with class-specific feats. Therefore I propose the following house rules, which affects all characters:

1. Epic Prowess increases your EAB by +1.

2. You do not need 20 levels in a class to qualify for epic class-specific feats. For example, Mostin the Metagnostic is a Wizard 10 / Alienist 10 at 20th level. He then adds 5 levels of Wizard. Ordinarily his bonus feat for being a 15th level Wizard would have to be non-epic, but because he's an epic character he can take an epic magic feat. I'm aware that this significantly benefits characters who multiclass into Fighter after turning Epic, but it does get rid of the Ftr 20 / Wiz 20 vs Wiz 20 / Ftr 20 argument.

I'm also toying with:

3. Allowing an Inherent Bonus to BAB. I'm really not sure about this one.

4. Making the damage die equal to the current hit die of the character, regardless of the weapon. While this may seem to favour knights and barbarians, the fighters get extra feats which mean that the average base damage of the former is soon surpassed.

dren

First Post
Not as much as many others here on these boards. I give free Improved Unarmed Strike at first level and a free exotic weapon proficiency every five levels. There are additional feats that are similiar to those posted such as weapon and armour specializations. I also group skills into a profession feat as a sub-set, so it's much easier to gain a lot more skills.

Remove ads