• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you DO for... Fighters?

Kisanji Arael

First Post
At fifth, tenth, and fifteenth levels, I let the fighter choose one group of weapoinry that he now deals one step more damage with. The step up at tenth cannot be the same as the step-up at fifth. Then, at seventh and thirteenth levels, I allow them to choose a weapon they own, which is always considered to be one level stronger magically than it actually is. Again, these can't stack, though they can change which weapons the bonuses apply to once a week. Still thinking about giving them something at level 20, though.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
1st - Bonus Feat
2nd - Bonus Feat
3rd - Weapon Group
4th - Bonus Feat
5th - Leadership
6th - Bonus Feat
7th - Weapon Group
8th - Bonus Feat
9th - Landlord
10th - Bonus Feat
11th - Weapon Group
12th - Bonus Feat
13th - Great Renown
14th - Bonus Feat
15th - Weapon Group
16th - Bonus Feat
17th - Henchmen
18th - Bonus Feat
19th - Weapon Group
20th - Bonus Feat

Weapon Group: At 3rd level, and every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th level) a fighter gains proficiency with an additional weapon group. See Unearthed Arcana for details on the weapon group variant.

Leadership: At 5th level, a fighter gains leadership. His leadership score is based on his fighter levels only, however the maximum level of his cohort is based on his character level.

Landlord: At 9th level, a fighter becomes a landlord. He must swear fealty to a leige, either a lord, king, church, or similar entity to gain this benefit. His stronghold allowance is based on his fighter levels only. This grants the fighter an additional +2 bonus to his leadership score. See the landlord feat in Stronghold Builder's Guide.

Great Renown: At 13th level, a fighter gains great renown for his fighting exploits, granting him a +2 bonus to his leadership score.

Henchmen: At 17th level, a fighter's receives henchmen in addition to his cohort. A henchman follows the same rules as a cohort, only they must all be two or more levels lower than the cohort. A fighter may have one henchman for every five class levels (round down).

Last edited:

Nyaricus

First Post
Atreides said:
Battle-hardened: May re-roll each initiative roll once, taking better of 2 Rolls
Not a bad idea, this; although likely I'd use it as a feat rather than a special ability

Greater Initiative
Prereqs: Improved Initiative, BAB +1
Benefit: you may re-roll initiative once at the beginning of an encounter, taking the preferred of the two rolls.
Normal: you roll initiative once.
Special: you may not take this feat more than once t gain multiple re-rolls.

Kisanji Arael said:
At fifth, tenth, and fifteenth levels, I let the fighter choose one group of weapoinry that he now deals one step more damage with. The step up at tenth cannot be the same as the step-up at fifth.
Now THAT'S a cool idea :D I like, and may have to steal :evillaugh:

Atreides

First Post
Greater Initiative
Prereqs: Improved Initiative, BAB +1
Benefit: you may re-roll initiative once at the beginning of an encounter, taking the preferred of the two rolls.
Normal: you roll initiative once.
Special: you may not take this feat more than once t gain multiple re-rolls.

Now THAT'S a cool idea :D I like, and may have to steal :evillaugh:[/QUOTE]

Not really a fighter feat though - any character with lots of sneak attack dice will be all over this feat - a fighter may choose to take it - but the rogues get quite a bit more mileage out of it then he does.

DarkKestral

First Post
Yeah, I'd agree with Atreides. I'd consider it a must-have for everybody except perhaps fighters. As a rogue, barb, or monk, speed/reaction-time is critical for the class. Fighters not so much. Their schtick is being the guy that can do what he does forever without too many limits.

I'd actually give them magic resistance so that, after a while, they have fairly high built-in spell resistance and the capacity to increase AC vs. magical attack to normal armored levels. This would hopefully make them good in high level play, as mages would have to work specifically to take them out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads