• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you DO for... Fighters?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Fighters IMC gain leadership for free at 5th level (a level earlier than most character classes) plus the landlord feat (from stronghold builder's guide) at 9th level. They also gain bonuses to their leadership score at 13th and to their landlord level at 17th. This is reminiscent of the fighter of olde, who gained followers and a noble title later in levels. The leadership and landlord levels only apply to fighter levels however. It gives fighters an incentive to both stick with the fighter class and to have a decent charisma.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Nothing different, except some extra class skills.

I like the idea of using Knowledge (Tactics) to counter feints. Consider it yoinked.

Nyaricus

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Fighters IMC gain leadership for free at 5th level (a level earlier than most character classes) plus the landlord feat (from stronghold builder's guide) at 9th level. They also gain bonuses to their leadership score at 13th and to their landlord level at 17th. This is reminiscent of the fighter of olde, who gained followers and a noble title later in levels. The leadership and landlord levels only apply to fighter levels however. It gives fighters an incentive to both stick with the fighter class and to have a decent charisma.
I've toyed around with that idea, although my group never really got to high levels or followed the ruels that well in general in our brief year we played AD&D.

However, sounds like you have an interesting varient here :) Neat.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Oh yes, I also give fighters a bonus weapon group proficiency at 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th (I use the weapon group variant). This gives fighters something at every level.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Isnt that making them too powerful...they might get epic on you. :)

I prefer to keep things simple...by never playing pure fighters. I mean, what individual, who isnt manufactured, would ever be a purist fighter. Just add rogue levels or something. Anything else is just over complicated. :)

Arkhandus

First Post
Barring ownership of the Player's Handbook II or Complete Warrior.......the chivalrous knight with no mind/desire for politics is a pure Fighter. At least, the chivalrous knight who isn't one of the lucky few chosen by the divine to be gifted with Paladin-ship (Paladin standards are rather absolutely, unyieldingly, unforgivingly rigid, y'know). The mercenary captain with brass tacks and no tolerance for sissy traps and backstabbing is a pure Fighter. The pirate scum who raids and pillages for a living, under the direction of a more clever captain, may be a pure Fighter (but just might have bothered learning to backstab and lay traps as a Rogue, at the expense of real face-to-face combat ability from Fighter BAB and feats and HP). The obedient samurai who lives to serve and protect his daimyo is a pure Fighter.

Nyaricus

First Post
dante58701 said:
Isnt that making them too powerful...they might get epic on you. :)
Well, considering that you can never use more than, what, two weapons in a round, giving out the ability to use more weapon groups doesn't seem that bad. However, since weapon groups are feats, this is something I personally woudn't do. JMHO, of course.

dante58701 said:
I prefer to keep things simple...by never playing pure fighters. I mean, what individual, who isnt manufactured, would ever be a purist fighter. Just add rogue levels or something. Anything else is just over complicated. :)
Fair enough, but I wasn't asking that question (that is, how you play fighters - what I was asking was what do you do to house rule them, or if you don't. You state neither....

Atreides

First Post
HD: d10
BAB: +1 - +20
Skills: 2 + Int per level
Balance, Battle, Climb, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Jump,
Knowledge (History), Ride, Swim, Tumble
Saving Throws: Same as PHB

Level Special

1st Weapon Feat, Bonus Feat
2nd Combat Awareness (+2)
3rd Bonus Feat
4th Weapon Feat
5th Armor Mastery (Light/Med)
6th Bonus Feat
7th Weapon Feat
8th Bonus Feat, Skill Focus: Intimidate
9th Armor Mastery (Heavy)
10th Weapon Feat
11th Bonus Feat, Combat Awareness (+4)
12th Alertness
13th Weapon Feat, Bonus Feat
14th Die Hard
15th Bonus Feat, Armor Mastery (+1 Max Dex)
16th Weapon Feat
17th Battle-hardened
18th Bonus feat
19th Weapon Feat
20th Ascension, Armor Mastery (+1DR)

Combat Awareness: +2 Initiative, +2 Will Saves versus Fear
+4 Initiative, +4 Will Saves versus Fear

Battle-hardened: May re-roll each initiative roll once, taking better of 2 Rolls
May substitute ranks of Intimidate for the die roll for all
Saving Throws versus Fear

Armor Mastery: +1 AC with Light/Medium
Armor Mastery: +1 AC with Heavy
Armor Mastery: +1 Max. Dex. Bonus with All Armors
Armor Mastery: +1 DR with all Armors

Weapon Feats:

Player may select one of the following weapon feats for which he meets the qualifications:

Weapon Focus
Greater Weapon Focus
Weapon Specialization
Greater Weapon Specialization
Improved Critical
Weapon Optimization

Note: Greater Weapon Focus stacks with Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization stacks with Weapon Specialization

Note: All weapon Feats apply to a Weapon Group, not an individual weapon

Weapon optimization (Fighter Feat, Weapon Feat)
Choose any weapon that she has Greater weapon specialization in, the fighter gets to calculate her number of attacks by subtracting 4 instead of 5 from her BAB. This ability may be taken more than once. It is applied to a different weapon group each time.

Ascension (Pick One)

Weapon Ascendancy: Any two weapon Feats, or Epic Weapon Focus,
or Epic Weapon Specialization

Dodge Ascendancy: Epic Dodge, may ignore normal qualifications

Skill Ascendancy: 40 Skill points

Toughness Ascendancy: 40 HP

Other options for Ascension are available with DM permission.

Also - I use weapon proficiency groups from UA - and the Fighter is the only one allowed to spend one of their 'initial' feats on Exotics (so fighters can access Exotics without a feat - but everyone else must spend a feat to do so). I also rewrote the Armor table and use Armor as Damage Reduction so that changes things a bit as well.

By design my fighter is designed to be able to out damage anyone when it comes to armed combat - that is their specialty - their 'role' so to speak - and I designed the class to fulfill that role.

Feel free to critique it - input is always welcome. :D

Remove ads