• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you miss from the good ol' days?

papakee

First Post
A couple of things:

Not being bashed if you didn't know every rule by heart. You were the DM, what you said went with no whining about RAR.

The DM (via the encounters) was the supplier of magic not some shop.

Being able to go through an entire module in a marathon all night session.

smootrk said:
Yes, but the options I noted are all completely FREE!
Labyrinth Lord and the Holmes Companion are also free. (Although the Holmes Companion assumes you have the Holmes Basic rules, already.)

(Not arguing with you, just pointing it out in case anyone assumes otherwise.)

robberbaron

First Post
Things I miss:
The feel of the thing. 1e felt more "right" than 3e or 3.5.

Being able to think up a ready-to-use creature in about 2 seconds (hit dice, AC, number of attacks), rather than figuring the right number of feats for the hit dice (and choosing said feats), 3 different saves, BAB and bonuses and a few other things that slow down spur-of-the-moment monster creation.

Psionics that were completely different to magic.

Humourous cartoons in the books.

You could pretty much roll up a non-spellcasting character without having to look at the PHB.

White Dwarf magazine, despite the increasingly dodgy new classes.

Low dex meant you could only be a fighter. High primary stat gave an experience bonus.

However, things I don't miss:
The whole specieist shtick where Humans are better at pretty much everything than non-humans (specifically, maximum levels).

Having to look up everything on tables. Granted, they were all on my DM Screen, but I never managed to memorise them.

Remove ads