What do you think of Marvel post-Endgame?

Hussar

Legend
Oh hey don’t get me wrong. I liked Multiverse of Madness. It was fun.

It’s just that for me it’s very soon reaching the point where it’s getting to be more about cameos and Easter eggs than storytelling.

Hex08

Hero
The fact that I had no clue who black bolt was or where he came from didn't bother me or my enjoyment at all
I have to wonder how Anson Mount reacted when he got the call to play Black Bolt again. The Inhumans TV show was universally panned and I imagine he never thought he would play that character again.

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure short of keeping them all encapsulated, that's avoidable.
Well, it depends. You can certainly have the various shows largely self contained with some shows linking to each other. There's no particular reason, for example, for the X-men and Avengers to cross over. In the comics they generally didn't. Granted, you had a bajillion X-titles to track, so, there was that problem too. :D

But something like Moon Knight? No real reason for him to have anything to do with the Avengers or the multiverse. He's off doing his own thing. Same as, say, Punisher or Ghost Rider (which I'd love to see make a come back). Even something like Fantastic Four is pretty easy to keep largely away - they spend so much time off world that most of the time they're just not there to deal with the stuff the Avengers deal with.

Heck, it's one of the reasons I really like Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure, it's got the Thor tie in, but, that's about it.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I have to wonder how Anson Mount reacted when he got the call to play Black Bolt again. The Inhumans TV show was universally panned and I imagine he never thought he would play that character again.

On the other hand, he was one of the best things in the show (there were three or four actors that show let down seriously who did the best they could).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, it depends. You can certainly have the various shows largely self contained with some shows linking to each other. There's no particular reason, for example, for the X-men and Avengers to cross over. In the comics they generally didn't. Granted, you had a bajillion X-titles to track, so, there was that problem too. :D

But something like Moon Knight? No real reason for him to have anything to do with the Avengers or the multiverse. He's off doing his own thing. Same as, say, Punisher or Ghost Rider (which I'd love to see make a come back). Even something like Fantastic Four is pretty easy to keep largely away - they spend so much time off world that most of the time they're just not there to deal with the stuff the Avengers deal with.

Heck, it's one of the reasons I really like Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure, it's got the Thor tie in, but, that's about it.

I don't think I entirely buy it; if nothing else the big ticket groups are going to do things that should have ripple effects elsewhere, and it seems really artificial when, if they're sharing the same setting at all, its never acknowledge.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think I entirely buy it; if nothing else the big ticket groups are going to do things that should have ripple effects elsewhere, and it seems really artificial when, if they're sharing the same setting at all, its never acknowledge.
There is more to it though. The whole Bruce Campbell cameo for example. My daughter, who is too young to have ever seen Army of Darkness or whatnot, saw the scene and said that Strange is a complete dick. This guy didn't do anything and here's Strange getting him to beat himself up. Total dick move.

Now, obviously, you and I are in on the joke and it's funny. But, for someone under the age of 20, there's pretty much zero chance they're going to get the reference. Same goes with Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Other than Logan, it was 2006 the last time Patrick Stewart played Professor X. My daughter was born that year. So, she had zero idea who these people were and why anyone would care about them.

But, I do get your point. If the Blip happens, then it needs to have some affect on all the MCU titles. Fair enough. or the invasion of New York in Avengers. But, realistically, if you have a superhero that's not in New York, then why would they really care about the invasion of New York? It's not going to have much impact at all. Might be something on the news in the background, but, that's about it.

I guess my point is, just how many cameos do you need in one movie? And, as time goes on, it's only getting worse. There's nothing wrong with having a few titles that are mostly stand alone and other titles that are more closely tied together.

Hex08

Hero
There is more to it though. The whole Bruce Campbell cameo for example. My daughter, who is too young to have ever seen Army of Darkness or whatnot, saw the scene and said that Strange is a complete dick. This guy didn't do anything and here's Strange getting him to beat himself up. Total dick move.

Now, obviously, you and I are in on the joke and it's funny. But, for someone under the age of 20, there's pretty much zero chance they're going to get the reference. Same goes with Patrick Stewart as Professor X. Other than Logan, it was 2006 the last time Patrick Stewart played Professor X. My daughter was born that year. So, she had zero idea who these people were and why anyone would care about them.

But, I do get your point. If the Blip happens, then it needs to have some affect on all the MCU titles. Fair enough. or the invasion of New York in Avengers. But, realistically, if you have a superhero that's not in New York, then why would they really care about the invasion of New York? It's not going to have much impact at all. Might be something on the news in the background, but, that's about it.

I guess my point is, just how many cameos do you need in one movie? And, as time goes on, it's only getting worse. There's nothing wrong with having a few titles that are mostly stand alone and other titles that are more closely tied together.
Obviously the younger generation, whipper-snappers I believe is the correct term, need to bone up on older movies. ;)

Remove ads