What do you think of Marvel post-Endgame?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
EDIT: TL;DR just read the last paragraph.

I've enjoyed pretty much all the Marvel stuff. There are some poor movies in the bunch. Iron Man 2 & 3, and Thor 2 are completely forgettable. Age of Ultron gets a fail because it set up to do one thing (paralleling Tony's daddy angst with Ultron's) and then... just didn't. But otherwise the MCU movies are fair to good.

But back to phase 4. All enjoyable, big tent, sfx extravaganzas. I agree with @Lanefan that Eternals is the most likely to give us the goods going forward. I say most likely because I never rule out executive meddling and the ability of producers to screw stuff up. But, absent that, Eternals has a good cast of characters and many cool plot threads. I liked that it was a family melodrama with super powers. That doesn't make it unique in the MCU. Shang-chi and Black Widow are also family dramas. Hell, Avengers was a family drama; found family in its case. But Eternals did family drama in that big, soap-opera way. I suspect that if I was familiar with Chinese soap opera I would see a lot of parallels/nods/shared tropes.

For my money Multiverse of Madness is the weakest of Phase 4. Not bad. Big, dumb fun. Very Sam Raimi. And yes I have my issues with the villain of the movie. Please see the Dr. Strange 2 thread if you want to hear them. (No, I wouldn't bother either.) Put me in the club that assumes the multiverse is the MCU's way to introduce all the new characters. Hot take, I know.

As for 2 Spider Man movies... my cup runneth over. I love Spidey. Yes Spidey 3 requires both Peter and Strange to be utter bloody idiots to kick the plot into gear. <sigh> But the other universe characters were all so good that it goes some way to making up for that poor writing. Spidey 2 was great. It was very Spidey.

Shang-Chi was a good all the way up to when they switched to the kaiju battle. It did not suit the rest of the movie. But otherwise it has good characters, good fight scenes, good plot. I like that our heroes get dragooned by the Sorcerer Supreme right at the end. They gotta run off and do...something. It was a real "no time to explain, get in the lama!" moment. I'm intrigued enough to find out what that something is when the next movie arrives. Also, who said Trevor was unnecessary? I loved Trevor and the double butted wombat or whatever it was.

Black Widow, for obvious reasons, is not going to give us much going forward. Not nothing, thank-you Florence Pugh as the new Widow. But it is a requiem for Natasha. And a good movie in it's own right.

Phase 4 is already shaping up to be much more focussed on giving us a shared ultra-villain (Kang according to the scuttlebutt but does anyone else think the Celestials would be a better choice?) than Phase 1 was. I'm sure most (all?) of us know Phase 1 was not originally intended to all come to a point. It was something that just... happened. It feels like Phase 4 is being given more guidance than that.

Stalker0

Legend
Black Widow, for obvious reasons, is not going to give us much going forward. Not nothing, thank-you Florence Pugh as the new Widow. But it is a requiem for Natasha. And a good movie in it's own right.
I can respect the notion that Black Widow is "ok" rather than garbage (though I think its garbage). But I really don't get how it could be considered "good".

In all honesty, what is good about the movie? I would argue our new black widow had a cool intro, and maybe you like David Harbor's character. Beyond that, the writing is terrible, the plot is nonexistent, the villain is dumb and an absolute waste, our main hero doesn't get a good sendoff (nor do we get any great insights into Nat or her backstory or anything), they gave Nat super human durability for some weird reason (seriously that fall early in the movie is 100% not survivable by anyone without superhuman toughness), its not particularly funny for a marvel movie, it didn't leave us any cool interconnected bits or even awesome cameos if that's something you go for..... seriously what about the movie makes it "good".

Florence Pugh
She is good, but that doesn't make the movie good. In fact, it makes it worse by pulling the spotlight away from the supposed central character.

The parts of that movie that work are when it is being a "family of spies" sitcom. Which means the focus is on the funny characters, not the serious character.

The Winter Soldier, Avengers (Assemble) and even Iron Man 2 all make Natasha Romanoff much cooler.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, it depends. You can certainly have the various shows largely self contained with some shows linking to each other. There's no particular reason, for example, for the X-men and Avengers to cross over. In the comics they generally didn't. Granted, you had a bajillion X-titles to track, so, there was that problem too. :D

But something like Moon Knight? No real reason for him to have anything to do with the Avengers or the multiverse. He's off doing his own thing. Same as, say, Punisher or Ghost Rider (which I'd love to see make a come back). Even something like Fantastic Four is pretty easy to keep largely away - they spend so much time off world that most of the time they're just not there to deal with the stuff the Avengers deal with.

Heck, it's one of the reasons I really like Guardians of the Galaxy. Sure, it's got the Thor tie in, but, that's about it.
Any "world spanning peril" should attract attention of other heroes. Reminds me of the Simulation RPG discussions recently - it only makes sense that if a giant form is rising from the ocean that others are going to get interested. Regardless if the heroes dealing with it would normally interact with them.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Hmmm... after reading online I see a bunch of stuff that says Disney won't release their shows on physical media but I also see them being sold, like here. Confusing
Notable that when there is physical media available, it's just DVD, not Bluray. :mad: So I guess that is a compromise to still push folks to Disney+.
Other than Logan, it was 2006 the last time Patrick Stewart played Professor X.
He was in 2014's X-Men: Days of Future Past that was pretty popular, but your point is taken.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I guess I just have far lower standards for my entertainment. That's not terribly surprising to me actually. I find I like a lot of stuff that gets written off by more serious fans.

Means I get to like a lot more shows though. :D

I'm much the same way, honestly. Its a pretty high bar for me to consider a film actively bad; none of the Feige driven films or TV shows land in it There's two I considered meh (Iron Man III and Thor II) and maybe one other (I'm really ambivalent about Eternals). That's why I don't argue too much with other people about movies and shows in total, though I'll argue about individual elements, because my standards just aren't other people's.

Last edited:

Hex08

Hero
I can respect the notion that Black Widow is "ok" rather than garbage (though I think its garbage). But I really don't get how it could be considered "good".

In all honesty, what is good about the movie? I would argue our new black widow had a cool intro, and maybe you like David Harbor's character. Beyond that, the writing is terrible, the plot is nonexistent, the villain is dumb and an absolute waste, our main hero doesn't get a good sendoff (nor do we get any great insights into Nat or her backstory or anything), they gave Nat super human durability for some weird reason (seriously that fall early in the movie is 100% not survivable by anyone without superhuman toughness), its not particularly funny for a marvel movie, it didn't leave us any cool interconnected bits or even awesome cameos if that's something you go for..... seriously what about the movie makes it "good".
It's all subjective. I enjoyed the movie, other than Taskmaster, which was a wasted opportunity of a really cool character. I personally am glad we didn't get any interconnected bits because I wish Marvel would back off of that a bit. Why would there have been any cameos (awesome or not)? The movie took place when Nat and her allies were laying low and I'm not sure how a cameo would have added to the story. For the first time we saw Nat as a child and some of the relationships she developed before she became an Avenger and how they were dysfunctional and then got closure so I would call that insight into her character (great or not is subjective). Giving Nat superhuman durability seems like a serious bit of nitpicking, in both the comics and movies heroes, super or not, frequently take beatings that would kill or hospitalize the rest of us. You're right it not being particularly funny and thank goodness Marvel strayed from the formula. As for your gripe about the villain, if you are talking about Taskmaster I agree but she's not really the villain. Taskmaster is just a henchman/victim of Dreykov who is the villain of the movie and makes as much sense, if not more than, some of the really bad villains Marvel has had in some of their other movies. As for the plot, a quick Google search for "plot of the black widow" lays it out pretty succinctly.

Last edited:

Remove ads