• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think of Marvel post-Endgame?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Just talking movies, how do you think the MCU is doing since Endgame and that phase ended?

As a reminder here’s the list:
  1. Black Widow
  2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  3. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  4. Eternals
  5. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  6. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Includes the Spider-man movies.
I won’t stick just to the movies, actually, because post End Game MCU exist much more in the tv shows than previous phases of the MCU.

And I think that’s awesome.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I like all of them to greater and lesser degrees. I mean, Eternals had a lot of problems, but it was far better than its reviews would suggest. The TV shows have mostly been fun, too.

You're probably right that Thor Love & Thunder will be one of the better of the phase. We'll see, but I trust Taika!

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
This is hilarious to me, because it is the only mcu story I can’t hunk of that was actually IRL controversial, and one of the few that challenged the audience.
Not sure if I cant’t hunk is a typo or some unfamiliar idiom, but it did jump out at me…

But yeah, I dont think that FWS was inoffensive, as it did address some real world issues. The genericness too is perhaps the limitation of FWS being the least fantastic of the MCU brands, supersoldiers dont go that much further than other ‘special forces’ spy thriller movies

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking that Falcon and the Winter Soldier was inoffensive. I mean, there's a lot to unpack there with the race issues and it really does hit the whole issue of privilege pretty squarely on the head with Bucky just completely not understanding why anyone would refuse the shield. Thought it was very well handled without being preachy or hammering the point flat. F&WS and Hawkeye are probably my favorites of the D+ serial offerings.

Then again, I liked the "My Life as a Weapon" Hawkeye comic so, considering that the plot of both F&WS and Hawkeye are drawn from there it might explain a lot.

Ixal

Hero
The ones I have seen, including TV, have been average at best.

Imo the Marvel story ended with Endgame and now they are just frantically milking the cow until it drops dead.

delericho

Legend
I've felt that the movies I've seen have been pretty weak. The series have been much stronger.

But it feels like they're kind of done, really.

It's a long time since I've seen a Marvel movie that has been better than mediocre. The last ones to reach "quite good" where Thor: Ragnarök and Black Panther.

other than the last spiderman movie i think they are a big step back from the best of phase 1. i did enjoy the last strange movie as it felt like a what if story.

the covid excuse is pure crap! The boys, peaky blinders, stranger things were all filmed under the same covid extremes and are excellent shows with some potentially becoming movies. Top Gun nailed it and the marvel movies didnt.

Top gun had real movie buzz. It had the water cooler talk like GOT did when it first came out and Camerons Avatar along with End Game or for the kids Frozen.

Top gun has characters you are routing for. edge of your seat how they getting out of this just like end game etc. Spiderman has some of that and it was what the audiences is cheering for . The rest of them dont have that.

1. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings -decent movie with some good cameos but not edge of your seat and theres no connection to him even when you think hes dead
  2. Spider-Man: Far From Home-was ok -the cast is solid but clearly the movie after is a lot better and shows how a good movie can be made
  3. Eternals -probably the most wooden cast ive seen in a movie . Kumail ias probably the most human/interesting of them. The argument that if you make is they are not human doesnt really work as most of the guardians arent and vision isnt . People are most excited for a line from blade and he isnt even on screen

i have high hopes for Thor as it looks fun

MGibster

Legend
For me, these movies were all OK (Black Widow and Dr Strange were weak, and Eternals wasn’t good), but they all feel mid-tier MCU to me. I’m still waiting for one that will knock it out of the park. Maybe Thor next month?
I think the only one I didn't care for was Eternals because I didn't care one whit about any of the characters and it felt completely disconnected from the rest of the MCU. I quite liked Black Widow and Shang-Chi, though I was bit bored by the CGI fest fight between Shaun and the big monster at the end.

Do you think part of of the problem might be that you're suffering from comic book movie fatigue? I think I first felt some fatigue when I saw Captain Marvel. I thought it was fine enough movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I think I would have had I not spent the better part of a decade watching so many comic book movies. I liked the Dr. Strange movie, but I couldn't be bothered to see it in the theater instead opting for Disney+. I'd like to see Thor, but I don't know if I'm going to bother going to the theater.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads