What do you think of the Inquisitor?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well, they suck at melee. But, yeah ranged combat pretty much belongs to the Inquisitor as is. I haven't had a chance to play one, but want to.

Good point, I'd rather be a ranger in a close up fight, than an inquisitor who is limited to simple weapons, which is very limited for combat, as is their lesser BAB. If I'm lost in the woods, I'd rather have a ranger in the party than an inquisitor.

Dhalgrath

First Post
You might be forgetting the deity favored weapons. I have to take a look at what they are, but it could push the class beyond simple weapons and add more bite to their melee ability.

Dingo333

First Post
With any luck, I can tell you how the inquisitor plays next saturday.

Where we left off was, 3 trolls, me sitting in front of 2, and with 50 hp left, I dont expect that character to survive the encounter. He was an Urban ranger (well, still is for another week)

I have an inquisitor waiting in the wings (11th, Cayden Cailean, 2 weapon, elf)

As for weapons, they get bows, crossbows, and some nice favored weapons, plus race can add some nice additional ones. I feel 2 weapon best supports the judgments as they kinda want as many as possible attacks, (justice, destruction) and basing off dex, you have better AC, even with limit to medium armor (mithral breast plate win). In effect, you only need 2 abilities, Wis and Dex (mid con and cha, low int and str). You will almost always be first, have good AC, decent social, judgement makes up for str, wisdom and intelligence on monster checks (has 2 ranks in each, to ID monsters: +20).

Still debating between ranged or melee, going melee for now because my weapons are vicious and merciful (+3d6 to enemies, nonlethal, 1d6 to self) and the healing judgement will heal equal amount of nonlethal and lethal. At this point, hitting with all 4 attacks means 20d6+36 damage, and 4d6 to self. Fast healing 4 with judgement (destruction added into above). If I have flames of the faithful up add 2d6 fire and 2d10 on a crit (with a keen rapier no less)

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'm playing a melee Inquisitor of Gorum right now. So I can tell you they are overpowered from a DM perspective. I haven't even tricked out my items yet, I'm already the hammer. My DM refers to me as "The Clean Up" man because the melees soften up the enemy we fight, then I bring down the hammer of death.

The Inquisitor's spell selection is what pushes them over the top. They have a lot of neat abilities as is and then they get a spell selection like no melee class I've seen save for multiclass characters.

I put my main stat in str and wisdom. We're not point buy, so I have better than 15 point stats. Which probably helps a great deal. But I went with melee to take advantage of spells like Divine Power and Righteous Might which don't work with ranged weapons.

The stacking modifiers are insane.

As an Inquisitor of Gorum I took the Rage (Destruction) Subdomain. So I get destructive smite and the ability to rage like a barbarian for +4 str and con when I feel like it. I plan to take Reckless Abandon and either superstition or moment of clarity. Not sure yet.

I get good fort and will saves. Once I get stalwart and a ring of evasion, I'll take no damage or effect if I make a save of any kind. Once I get the Duck and Cover teamwork feat, I can take the roll of one of my comrades for reflex saves which improves my chances of succeeding.

And I have a 20 str right now for +7 damage with my +1 vicious greatsword. So my damage per attack once buffed with judgment up looks like this.

2d6 +7 str +1 weapon +3 luck divine favor +2 bane+2d6 bane+2d6vicous+4 judgment+6 power attack= 6d6+23 (+27 with destructive smite) for an average of 44 to 48 per hit.

This is without raging. And it's only going to get sicker as I get Divine Power, Righteous Might and perhaps toss in Wrath or something of that kind and add magic items.

On top of this, I get Greater Bane soon which will increase my bane damage to 4d6.

If I'm flanking I get an additional +4 to hit and +1d6 damage.

I can detect any alignment. I have sickening Sense Motive and Intimdate skill. Heck, maybe I should get Dazzling Display just to take advantage of my crazy intimidate skill.

I get nifty spells like:

See Invisibility
Invisibility Purge
Lesser Restoration
Remove Paralysis
Invisiblity
Bless
Dispel Magic

I can innately Discern Lies.

I have a +7 natural initiative bonus.

I get 6 skill points a lvl.

I'm human so I'm using my human lvl bonus to add to my spell list.

And I get d8 hit points a lvl.

The Inquisitor class is big fun. Very tough class. Great at any role it be standing back and supporting the group or wading in hammering. It's enjoyable to play a class that has something to do in every aspect of the game from combat to social interaction.

I can even track as an added bonus. I have the most knowledge skills in my group. Often more than even the wizard types. Very fun class. But in all honesty, they get way too much. There isn't another class in the game that gets as much as the Inquisitor.

I even get Heal and Harm on my spell list. It's pretty crazy. I can think of no other class as self-sufficient as the Inquisitor.

Varthol

First Post
re

I've haven't looked much into the Inquisitor but I think the fluff is really nice.

My brother and I agree that a nice inquisitor archetype would probably be the guy from Assassin's Creed. A person privileged by the organization he serves for "darker than average" missions in terms of morality, who is however mainly driven/commanded by his faith and his own will rather than just a lord or money.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I'm working on an Inquisitor organization that serves the Shogunate of Kaidan, as the Metsuki - which in feudal Japan was the Shogunate Secret Police. A quite evil organization of quite evil inquisitors in search of heresy and traitors to the empire and shogunate.

While their reputation has been kept mostly secret, they were as ruthless, if not more so than the Spanish or Catholic Inquisition.

Of course, nobody expects the Shogun's Inquisition!

GP

Kvantum

First Post
I'm playing a melee Inquisitor of Gorum right now. So I can tell you they are overpowered from a DM perspective. I haven't even tricked out my items yet, I'm already the hammer. My DM refers to me as "The Clean Up" man because the melees soften up the enemy we fight, then I bring down the hammer of death.

The Inquisitor's spell selection is what pushes them over the top. They have a lot of neat abilities as is and then they get a spell selection like no melee class I've seen save for multiclass characters.

I put my main stat in str and wisdom. We're not point buy, so I have better than 15 point stats. Which probably helps a great deal. But I went with melee to take advantage of spells like Divine Power and Righteous Might which don't work with ranged weapons.

The stacking modifiers are insane.

As an Inquisitor of Gorum I took the Rage (Destruction) Subdomain. So I get destructive smite and the ability to rage like a barbarian for +4 str and con when I feel like it. I plan to take Reckless Abandon and either superstition or moment of clarity. Not sure yet.

I get good fort and will saves. Once I get stalwart and a ring of evasion, I'll take no damage or effect if I make a save of any kind. Once I get the Duck and Cover teamwork feat, I can take the roll of one of my comrades for reflex saves which improves my chances of succeeding.

And I have a 20 str right now for +7 damage with my +1 vicious greatsword. So my damage per attack once buffed with judgment up looks like this.

2d6 +7 str +1 weapon +3 luck divine favor +2 bane+2d6 bane+2d6vicous+4 judgment+6 power attack= 6d6+23 (+27 with destructive smite) for an average of 44 to 48 per hit.

This is without raging. And it's only going to get sicker as I get Divine Power, Righteous Might and perhaps toss in Wrath or something of that kind and add magic items.

On top of this, I get Greater Bane soon which will increase my bane damage to 4d6.

If I'm flanking I get an additional +4 to hit and +1d6 damage.

I can detect any alignment. I have sickening Sense Motive and Intimdate skill. Heck, maybe I should get Dazzling Display just to take advantage of my crazy intimidate skill.

I get nifty spells like:

See Invisibility
Invisibility Purge
Lesser Restoration
Remove Paralysis
Invisiblity
Bless
Dispel Magic

I can innately Discern Lies.

I have a +7 natural initiative bonus.

I get 6 skill points a lvl.

I'm human so I'm using my human lvl bonus to add to my spell list.

And I get d8 hit points a lvl.

The Inquisitor class is big fun. Very tough class. Great at any role it be standing back and supporting the group or wading in hammering. It's enjoyable to play a class that has something to do in every aspect of the game from combat to social interaction.

I can even track as an added bonus. I have the most knowledge skills in my group. Often more than even the wizard types. Very fun class. But in all honesty, they get way too much. There isn't another class in the game that gets as much as the Inquisitor.

I even get Heal and Harm on my spell list. It's pretty crazy. I can think of no other class as self-sufficient as the Inquisitor.
Go Half-Orc, take the alternate favored class ability, and end up with an absurd Intimidate check on top of all that. Even with a 12 Cha, if you have Skill Focus (Intimidate) and Intimidating Prowess, if you max out Intimidate as a 7th level Inquisitor Half-Orc, you'd have 7 +3 class skill +1 Cha +2 racial +3 Skill Focus +5 Str (Intimidating Prowess) +3 Inquisitor Bonus +3 Half-Orc alternate class bonus = +27 as your base modifier to any check. FEAR ME!

Make sure you have Weapon Focus (Greatsword) and Dazzling Display, and nothing vulnerable to Intimidate will ever pose a serious threat to you.

Remove ads