What do your heroes do when they're not adventuring?

Presto2112

Explorer
I like to give my characters ranks in skills not necessarily related to his class. Example, my current character has ranks in Craft (gemcutting) so he spends a great deal of his time trying to make an honest living through his craft.

mmadsen

First Post
Presto2112 said:
I like to give my characters ranks in skills not necessarily related to his class. Example, my current character has ranks in Craft (gemcutting) so he spends a great deal of his time trying to make an honest living through his craft.
Doesn't an adventurer adventure specifically to avoid making an honest living?

Generally its sell/trade/upgrade tools of their trade first. Next is training. During training I try to enter a bit of "real life" issues that range from bars to "you're the father" stuff. In among this serious stuff I drop clues for the next adventure.

Presto2112 said:

I had a psychic Warrior that baked bread for six months in the academy to learn "focus and discipline". When I next leveled up I put points into cooking. Wasteful when you only get three points a level buit I felt it was proper. I mean- six months folks. That should be noted somehow. :D

mmadsen

First Post
To what extent does your campaign involve mini-adventures for just one or two characters during the "down time" between "real" adventures? Does the Fighter run his manor -- and make meaningful decisions -- between quests? Does the Cleric have to decide how to tend his flock? (I assume the Wizard crafts magic items and researches spells.)

dagger

Adventurer
The FIRST thing my fighter does is go to the bathroom. Going weeks in the dungeon without such a trip is the stuff of ledgends.

tonym

First Post
megamania said:
I had a psychic Warrior that baked bread for six months in the academy to learn "focus and discipline". When I next leveled up I put points into cooking. Wasteful when you only get three points a level buit I felt it was proper. I mean- six months folks. That should be noted somehow. :D

Man, baking bread for 6 months to learn focus and discipline is AWESOME. What a clever way to deliver the training.

Tony M

Wycen

Explorer
It depends on my character. My previous character spent downtime romancing an NPC, or researching how to get home or rumors possibly related to events we happened to participate in, or trying to navigate the government and aristocracy in an attempt to find a diplomatic solution to the assassin plagueing his life.

My current character is based on Redgar and a friend in real life, (though he doesn't know it) and thus follows the idea, "why should I keep track of treasure, I'm just going to spend it all on Ale and Whores" and I have stuck to that principle as much as is safely possible. Despite having the Ancestral Weapon feat and 10,000 gold pieces worth of material to sacrifice to power my ancestral weapon up, I've had my character spend his free time at a brothel. I did buy some healing potions before setting out on the adventure again. I tried to gather some information this last visit, since the campaign is city based, (same city as the previous campaign and character), but with a Charisma of 8 it's no wonder he has to pay for attention.

With my other gaming group my ogre frequently spent his downtime doing absolutely nutty stuff like digging a moat, building a woodland fortress and organizing a pig wrestling contest.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Mostly depends on the character, but I've had characters that got involved in guild politics, religious heirarchies, social politics, trade, business, and farming. I've had them work as carpenters, engineers, and tavern owners. I've had one that owned a villa where he produced wine (and also operated an inport/export operation with the local Thieves' Guild). I've had another live as a pauper in a (psionic) monastary far from civilization. I've had one married with kids. I've had one engage in slave trading. I've had a few raise and train armies (although, admidtedly, one of these was an army of undead and demons). A few have even served as diplomats for their lords and queens in far off lands.

Remove ads