• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What game should my thugs be playing?

Schmoe

Adventurer
Hmm, I thought this was a commentary on your players, and you were trying to decide if Hackmaster or Tunnels and Trolls would be a better fit. :D

schnee

First Post
So, I am starting a new campaign. I have my adventurers starting in a tavern where a brawl will be breaking out. In the corner will be a table of 6 thugs playing a game at their table. What kind of game should I have them playing?

Cards or dice.

Those games enable gambling, are super portable, and cheap.

Celebrim

Legend
Cards or dice.

Those games enable gambling, are super portable, and cheap.

It should be noted that decks of cards are only cheap in the modern era, and were aristocratic games until comparitively recently owing to the great cost of producing a set of cards. Prior to the widespread introduction of printing, a single pack of playing cards could cost as much as 100 days wages (for a peasant).

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
Charades, except that instead of plays, books or movies, the subjects are cons, shakedowns and fighting techniques.

Jhaelen

First Post
It should be noted that decks of cards are only cheap in the modern era, and were aristocratic games until comparitively recently owing to the great cost of producing a set of cards. Prior to the widespread introduction of printing, a single pack of playing cards could cost as much as 100 days wages (for a peasant).
Well, I suppose, they could use tiles instead of cards (think Mahjong). Tiles should be easier to produce cheaply. But, yeah, pure dice games would probably be the most affordable option.

Remove ads