• 2nd Generation (1976-1979)

Votes: 229 57.0%
  • 3rd Generation (1985-1987)

Votes: 125 31.1%
  • 4th Generation (2000-present)

Votes: 40 10.0%

Grim

First Post
I started in about... 1999. I played 2e for about six months, and then 3e came out, so I played that. I think, like moe, I'm one of the few fourth generation guys here.
Oh, to harken back to 8th grade, and learning to play 3e in my friends garage. I'm to young for this game.

Al

First Post
Your poll is slightly skewed, in that there are more years 'between' the generations than there are in the generations, making most gamers disenfranchised :( .

I'm one of those: started in 1998, but I'd consider myself 3rd generation, having played 2e and 3e in roughly equal measure.

DynaMup

First Post
I began with the old red-box version of Dungeons & Dragons in 1989, and moved onto AD&D 2e around 1991-1992 ish. I won't harp back and say "ahh, twas a golden age of gaming" because I think the gaming world has come on leaps and bounds since then!

I had many great adventures with 2nd edition, and since then, gaming communities have grown and grown - they're now much larger than ever before, and a whole new variety of people have been introduced to it.

Here's to another 20 years of classic gaming!

Dark Jezter

First Post
I played AD&D a few times during the 1990s, but I didn't really get into the game until 3E came out. So I guess that makes me 4th generation.

Gospog

First Post
Started with 1st Ed D&D when I was 7 (1882).

Kind of disliked 2nd ed, and moved on to other games, but am loving 3E and D20 in general!

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm one of those 1st generation people who started with wargames in the early seventies then began playing D&D after my best friend brought it home in 1975. Been gaming ever since and never regretted a moment of it! :)

Nathanael

First Post
Have to agree with the problem with the poll. I could be third or second gen...

I started playing around 1985 with a OD&D basic box set I found brand new at a flea market. It was the 1980 edition with B2 in it and I still have it. After that, I moved into 1E AD&D for a short while, and then on to other games, thinking it too complex in rules and too simplistic in scope.

A hint of Nostalgia and the cool graphic design got me to buy the 3E PHB on a lark the day of its release, just to see what they'd done to the old game. I've been running a campaign with it ever since.

Remove ads