• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Generation of D&D are you?

What Generation of D&D Player are you?

• 1st Generation (1971-1973)

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • 2nd Generation (1976-1979)

Votes: 229 57.0%
  • 3rd Generation (1985-1987)

Votes: 125 31.1%
  • 4th Generation (2000-present)

Votes: 40 10.0%

Taloras

First Post
Gospog said:
Started with 1st Ed D&D when I was 7 (1882).

You were 7 in 1882 ?! Damn your old.

I started playing 6 months ago, after finding a group using the Gamers Seeking Gamers forum here.(friend named Omokage pointed it out, id been interested, but never had the chance to play).

JeffB

Legend
Yeah the categories are screwy...

Be that as it may, I started in 1977 with the 3 brown books and the Greyhawk supplement long before the MM surfaced. Which should really be the first generation of D&D'ers I suppose.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I had played, but didn't play seriously until around '98... and even then, I didn't bother learning any rules until 3E came out. I'm kind o' a stripling.

Voneth

First Post
I bought my own red box of basic D&D out of a Sears and Roebuck mail-order catalogue back around 1984. I also played Gamma World and TMNT back in that day too.

I never owned 1st ed. AD&D, but I played it. By this time, I was on to other games, mostly GURPS. For me, the switch to 2nd ed. was more of just a blip on the radar screen than anything earthshattering. By the time I was 22, I had also gotten into Games Workshop-style wargames (see, DND is a portal game for the wargame hobby!). :)

For me, there is no real nostalgia for 2nd ed., I won't claim that WotC stole my proposed fixes for the game, but we thought on the same lines (my suggestion for splitting classes was that humans should multiclass and demi humans should dual class, with level limits for demis and the humans' rep for being fast learners, it made more sense that way.)

I came back to the fold with 3rd ed. more with the idea that I could live with the new flexible system and use it to attract those who didn't have an inclination to learn a new game system. (I had gritted my teeth through TSR's imaginative settings like Dark Sun, Birthright and Planescape because the core books wasted a lot of page count trying to make a square peg of rules fit into a well-rounded world.)

So I voted for 2nd generation since I remember the early 1980s, which were curiously left out of the poll. Btw, I wouldn't consider TSR's playtesting phase of 2nd ed, to be part of the poll. You are asking the general public what generation they are, so you should stick to acutal product release dates since this is when the general public got to play.

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Legend
Yeah this has got me completely confused as I started roleplaying in '84 with Basic D&D [and Cyberpunk (blackbox)], then went on to 1st Edition AD&D and Expert D&D.

So am I 2nd or 3rd Generation?

Jaws

First Post
warcabbit said:
The first game I had was Top Secret, in '83, which led to D&D and then AD&D 1st rather quickly...
I first got Top Secret also. Then to basic D&D to Rolemaster to AD&D (short lived because 2nd edition soon came out). I stopped playing when skills & powers came out. I love 3e. I am so glad I decided to give it a try.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Xeriar

First Post
Intermagus said:
I suppose the approach for those that didn't fall directly into the timeframes would be to opt for the rules set you started in, prior to the next entry.

What if our rules set isn't listed? I'm pre-2e, but I never played the original AD&D, my introduction consisted of The Fantasy Trip and the 2nd edition of D&D.

Remove ads