• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is it that makes goblinoids different from non-goblinoids?

Guang

Explorer
I don’t see any difference and since I started my campaign world in the late 80s, Orcs and goblinoids have all been part of the same humanoid species. I don’t see the need for them to be separate.
How does that work in your campaign world? Do you have a way of picturing their inter-relatedness or do you not focus on that?

Enkhidu

Explorer
I ended up making all the goblinoids into a single species - they're all plants.

Goblins grow in patches (and sometime wild), looking somewhat like vegetables or fruits when they are "born." This accounts for a wide variety of coloring. As they age/grow their flesh hardens, and by the time they are the size of bugbears they develop a husk that resembles fur. The oldest goblins can grow to immense sizes, their husks becoming bark, and eventually take root at the center of a new goblin patch.

Remove ads